JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Dec 26, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #1,681 of 2,211
Get em while they're hot fellow Cannucks $79.99: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/jvc-jvc-twin-system-in-ear-sound-isolating-headphones-ha-fxt90-black-ha-fxt90/10196752.aspx?path=28eea1c3fd529f993e5dd43fd9f79dacen02

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #1,682 of 2,211
Is there any place that can make custom tips that will fit for the fxt90?

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #1,686 of 2,211
Quote:
How do these compare with the FXD and the newer FXZ? The cable colour on the FXT90L2s look fantastic and they don't seem to stick out of the ear as much as the Ds and Zs.

Just a word of warning, the golden version cable is much more rigid (more tangle prone, more memory) than the black normal version, and not in a good way.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #1,687 of 2,211
It's been a few years since my last IEM purchase; I am now looking at the fxt90.  They are not exactly the smallest, is it still possible to use them in bed or are they sticking out too much?  Should I look at the fxd80 instead as they seem quite a bit smaller though they are, as I understand, one step below the fxt90?

I might also consider the Rock It R50 as they are in the same price range and receive very good reviews.  They are really small but I am not so sure I want a BA phone.

I listen to many genres (except classical and rock).  Most of my music has female vocals and I like good soundstage.

Many thanks for any advice given.

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #1,688 of 2,211
Quote:
 Should I look at the fxd80 instead as they seem quite a bit smaller though they are, as I understand, one step below the fxt90?  

I don't have the FXT90 but I do have the FXD80. From reviews I've read, the FXT90 seems to be a hard-hitter for sound:value. The same can be said for the FXD80 though. There is a massive thread on the FXD series and a handful of comparisons between the two. From what i've read and experience respectively, the FXT90 has a midbass hump, overall crisp sound signature, great detail and sparkle, while the FXD80 has great extension on both ends, somewhat recessed mids but a lot of black space. It's my favourite IEM at the moment. 

Regarding the fit, again I don't own the FXT90 though i've seen them in store (they were $60? at a local Futureshop, should've bought it then argh) and they seem to be small. Around the same size as my FXD80s. HOWEVER, with foam tips, my FXD80s go so far in my ears that my canal touches the IEM house itself. The FXT90 from what I understand fits shallower than the FXD80. 

I think reading the both threads should help you decide. Good luck! 

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #1,689 of 2,211
xProvidence, many thanks for your prompt reply.  I did quite a lot of reading already and could not really see many, if at all, direct comparisons between the two so your reply is very helpful to me as you've seen both in the flesh and can confirm that there is not much difference in size - something that is not obvious by looking at the pics.  For me vocals are very important and I am not a big fan of deep insertion so your comments confirm my pref for the fxt90.  Btw the best I could find on ebay is $100.

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #1,690 of 2,211
You could ask Dsnuts and ericp10 for comparisons, if memory serves I believe Flysweep has had both as well. They're knowledgeable guys and are quite helpful. Glad I was able to help then. Argh, really shouldn't have let that deal go...

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #1,692 of 2,211
xProvidence, many thanks for your prompt reply.  I did quite a lot of reading already and could not really see many, if at all, direct comparisons between the two so your reply is very helpful to me as you've seen both in the flesh and can confirm that there is not much difference in size - something that is not obvious by looking at the pics.  For me vocals are very important and I am not a big fan of deep insertion so your comments confirm my pref for the fxt90.  Btw the best I could find on ebay is $100.

The fxt90 and fxd80 were my favorite iems for a while. Xprovidence provided an accurate comparison. The fxd90 has more mid-bass and also more forward mids. The lack of mid-bass in the fxd80 sounds more accurate to me, but the mids are recessed, which combined make for a cold sounding iem. However the fxd80 does have more sub-bass to my ears. Not only that but more treble than the fxt90 as well. Really emphasized treble of decent quality which makes for a more detailed listening experience. In fact the 80's make the fxt90's sound muddy in comparison, which isn't really such a bad thing for the 90's since the 80's have to really color the FR to do so. If you want more info I can give it, but these are the major points.

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #1,693 of 2,211
Quote:
Suba3333, if money wasn't an issue you can also consider the newer FXZ100/200. From the impressions and reviews that I've seen on the FXZs, they seem to have very impressive soundstage,comparable to a can headphone

It really depends on which cans and what soundstage properties you have in mind. There are cans, especially those of closed back, on ear design, that have an awful soundstage in every way and can be beaten in this area by cheaper IEMs. However, I've heard IEMs that can also easily compare with very good full sized open back headphones in certain aspects of soundstage. FXT90, for example, provides a significantly better sense of depth to the sound than Sennheiser HD555 and can even compete with and often surpass Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro in this area, even though the Beyers are known for their spacious sound. FXT90 also images quite well - better than the majority headphones I tried, regardless of type and price. The soundstage width on the JVCs is only average though, but still better than what you get with most closed back cans. Similarly, Etymotic ER4S can put a shame on most full sized headphones when it comes to imaging ability, arguably playing on the same field with the "last generation" flagship cans like HD650, DT880/990 and K701.

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #1,694 of 2,211
hey guys i just bought these and im experiencing a bit of driver flex when putting them into my ear! im just wondering if the shure olives will fit in these? i hear they are more durable because i think replacing complys will be too expensive for me! 

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #1,695 of 2,211
Really wish these had more bass. I want bass that massages my ear drums. I shouldn't have to put these to ear bleeding volume to get good bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back