JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Jan 21, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #1,696 of 2,211
@Pianist oh really? Er4s has better imaging/soundstage than dt880 and hd650 and could you explain to me the difference between imaging and soundstage because im uncertain of the definition.

@leesoonkyu I have the same problem but I just ignore it because I dont think driver flex will effect the life expectancy of the drivers (correct me if im wrong)
@illbetheone to me personally the bass is just perfect but eventually the sound signature will burnt into your brain

Jan 21, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #1,697 of 2,211
Quote:
@Pianist oh really? Er4s has better imaging/soundstage than dt880 and hd650 and could you explain to me the difference between imaging and soundstage because im uncertain of the definition.

Soundstage is the sense of space you are getting from headphones/speakers. With headphones, it is also sometimes referred to as headstage. Imaging is how well sounds are defined and placed within the soundstage, so imaging is a property of soundstage. Actually, I am not sure if ER4S has better imaging than HD650 - this may be a tough call - but ER4S can definitely image better than DT880 in my opinion, with the latter sounding somewhat diffuse by comparison.

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #1,698 of 2,211
Soundstage is the sense of space you are getting from headphones/speakers. With headphones, it is also sometimes referred to as headstage. Imaging is how well sounds are defined and placed within the soundstage, so imaging is a property of soundstage. Actually, I am not sure if ER4S has better imaging than HD650 - this may be a tough call - but ER4S can definitely image better than DT880 in my opinion, with the latter sounding somewhat diffuse by comparison.

thank you for that clarification :)
btw are you attending the local toronto headfier meet that might be occurring relatively soon

Mar 1, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #1,703 of 2,211
So I picked up a pair of JVC HA-SR500's at the local source about a week ago.  I rushed home longing to hear for myself if they sounded as wonderful as many on another thread had said.  Once I opened the package, they were mine forever since the source is the only shop that doesn't allow returns where I am.  

Then after listening to them and being less than impressed, I realized they looked different than the Victor S500's in the pictures show at the beginning of the other thread, and also that the package did not mention Carbon Nanotubes!  Crap, they weren't the same model.  

They were a repackaged older model that JVC brought out in north america.  Disappointed, even if they were cheap, I gave them to my sister who instantly loved them with her android phone.

Today I went shopping for a new pair of headphones for myself.  Had a listen to the Shure 440's, then a good long listen to the much talked about Audio Technica ATH-M50's.  The M50's sounded pretty damn good, but were just to big for portable use in my opinion, so I passed on them.

Then I decided to stop by the local Futureshop, just in case they had something new that might interest me.  I got to the headphone section and browsed...boring, boring, too much, Dr. Dre's fart cannons...nope!  Then I spotted something, some dual driver JVC HA-FXT90's with...drumroll...Carbon Nanotubes!  For $69!  I had to buy and try.  

So far, the sound amazes me.  Packed my Shure SE215's away and walked all the way home with them in my ears.  They might have something special with this Carbon Nanotube technology.  These HA-FXT90's sound really good to me?  Truly amazing considering the price I payed.

Listening to a flac rip of the album 'The Renaissance' by Q-tip as I type...sweet!  
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
TBB 

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #1,704 of 2,211
I continue to be amazed by how good FXT90 is for the price. They are both very strong technically and very fun to listen to at the same time, which is a rare accomplishment. I also prefer them over the much more expensive FX700, as I feel FXT90 has a more controlled bass with no overabundance of mid bass that FX700 suffers from, fuller, more lively, more intimate mids than FX700 and very similar overall technical performance. I actually think FXT90 may be faster and clearer than FX700 overall. The high end of FXT90 is slightly rolled off, but rivals good balanced armature IEMs in clarity and precision.

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #1,706 of 2,211
Quote:
D;
you just crushed my hopes because i was so close to getting the FX700
So in your opinion what IEM would be a good upgrade from FXT90s?

I don't know. I don't think I have heard one yet. FXT90 is almost the best sounding IEM I've heard thus far. I think Westone 4 may be better, but it has little, if anything in common with FXT90 in sound signature. Also, I don't recommend multi-driver BAs anymore, due to all the phase problems I have experienced with them. Etymotic ER4S sounds better to me than FXT90, but it is pretty much the opposite of the JVCs in signature. Some people do seem to find FX700 to be superior to FXT90 in sound quality, but the two also sound quite different - FXT90 has quite a bit less bass, significantly more forward mids, and a completely different soundstage presentation than FX700 with a fair amount more depth and a lot less width. Maybe you should try the new FXZ100/200.

Mar 2, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #1,707 of 2,211
+1 on the fxt90 being better than the fx700. Subjective of course but the 90's bass and treble aren't as emphasized, making for a more neutrally accurate sound signature, although still a bit more v-shaped than flat.

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #1,709 of 2,211
90's have much more bass than the DBA-02, in terms of quantity.

I own all three of these b*ishes, I think the 700 is vastly superior to the other two.  But that's just me.

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #1,710 of 2,211
Hey Gnarlsagan, do you think DBA-02 would be a nice upgrade? Also how does the bass of the DBA-02 compare to FXT90?

Munky is right about the DBA. It's too different to be considered an upgrade imo, and if you want to go that route then the R50 is likely the best option. Like pianist said maybe the new fxz series might be worth checking out too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back