JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Dec 14, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #1,666 of 2,211
Excuse my ignorance about this website but 100+ pages is too much for me to read. Could someone simply answer what the difference is between the JVC HA-FXT90 and the JVC HA-FXT90L2, besides the obvious that it's limited edition and different colors? I read here http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?products_id=3101 that Kenwood fine tuned them more but they don't go into much detail. I read somewhere else that the vocals aren't as good and the bass is heavier but I can't find where I read this.

So if anyone knows the actual technical or just has first hand experience and can explain more in depth the difference between the L2 and regular model FXT90 I would appreciate it very much.

IIRC i think the consensus was that there's no sonic difference, but I'm not sure.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #1,667 of 2,211
Thank you for your reply jgray91. From further looking into the subject I don't see anything that suggests they have different audio quality as well. Although I have read from people who seem to think differently. Although I'm not sure of their experience to compare as they did not clarify. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #1,668 of 2,211
One more question. Would these be good for electronic music? I listen to a lot of dnb, hardstyle, trance etc... I like a really punchy bass. I was thinking of going for something like the Atrio MG7 but their build quality worries me from what people say and they look cheaply housed. Then I was thinking the shure se215. Seems like the more reviews I read the more confused I get about what I want to buy lol. I just want some sturdy $100-$130 with detailed punchy bass without sacrificing too much elsewhere.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #1,669 of 2,211
Quote:
One more question. Would these be good for electronic music? I listen to a lot of dnb, hardstyle, trance etc... I like a really punchy bass. I was thinking of going for something like the Atrio MG7 but their build quality worries me from what people say and they look cheaply housed. Then I was thinking the shure se215. Seems like the more reviews I read the more confused I get about what I want to buy lol. I just want some sturdy $100-$130 with detailed punchy bass without sacrificing too much elsewhere.

I heard these are awesome for EDM, thats why I went with them. Mine should be here next week.

Dec 15, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #1,670 of 2,211

I don't listen to those kinds of EDM much, but I do listen to some that I don't know the genre of LOL, so maybe they could be that. And I don't own a lot of what most people would call bass-focused IEMs, since I like more of vocals from my songs. But I digress. IMO it does have punchy bass, along with some quite good treble to help along, but the bass is not that accentuated to say that it's bass-focused, and more of a slight hump from flat. It does extend fairly well into sub-bass from what few EDM songs that I've enjoyed showed me. From what I can remember, most of what I read from people that looks for punchy bass is satisfied with the FXT90, and mostly the people that let go of their FXT90 is because of the treble. I don't seem to have a problem with their claims (somewhat harsh treble allegedly) but the amount of people that say this is substantial enough that I'm inclined that I'm lucky to be tolerant of it.

On the treble a bit, I detect almost no sibilance on most songs I have, and only on songs that're already sibilant.

If you are somewhere that you can buy both of them (meaning the FXT90 and the SE215) and return one of them, maybe you should do that, if you have no qualms of doing that.

Overall though, I'd say that the FXT90 works well with most songs I've tried with, from bass-heavy songs to some classical. It has a small smile-shaped sound signature, with none of the bass intruding into the mids, no flabby bass, and non-sibilant treble and extends well on both end. My full review is in my sig if you want to read more on it. It's about 6 months old now, but I occasionally look at it, and my thoughts is still the same as it was when i wrote that.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #1,671 of 2,211
Quote:

If you want a good an IEM that's good for edm I think there's better options than the FXT90.  The MG7 is one but also the EPH-100 and if your willing to spend a little more than what they cost the Ortofon e-Q5 is very good for edm.  If you want something with a balanced sound across all frequencies the R-50 is great with edm though a lot of people think they don't have enough bass but I really enjoyed how they sounded with edm and you can always EQ the bass and the R-50 responds well to that.  Just a few options I think a much better than the FXT90, I really didn't like them much at all as you can tell from my signature below.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #1,673 of 2,211
Wow great feedback from everyone thank you for the responses. Techno kid I saw some of your other posts and I liked what you had to say. I think you probably listen to the same types of music I do as well. I really want to get the Yamaha EPH-100. But I think for now I will settle with the Atrio MG7 because they have a december deal for 50% off making them only $109 including shipping. The only eph-100 I see around are $140+ I am still very interested in these HA-FXT90 though. I will for sure be trying them down the road. Especially if these Atrio do not suit me I will return them. 

Thanks again for all the input guys.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #1,674 of 2,211
Got mine today. Love them so far, much better than my Iphone's earpods

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #1,675 of 2,211
Burned them in for about 72 hours worth of my burn in playlist and these buds have opened up quite nicely. Also, I got my Monster Supertips in the mail the other day and I am really enjoying the foam tips on these badboys. The music sounds a lot better with the foam tips. A+

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #1,676 of 2,211
Hi everyone. Newbie here. Can someone tell me the sound quality difference between Sennheiser IE8 and the JVC FXT-90. I'm planning to get myself a second pair of IEM. I own a pair of IE8 but kind of to my disappointment, i must say it doesn't live up to the value of 400 over bucks. Well don't get me wrong it's a fantastic phone, just that the sound value-for-money wasn't that great. Anyone can throw in some ideas on the comparison? If it's comparable (or better than IE8) i'll grab a pair :)

Cheers and thanks.

Dec 24, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #1,677 of 2,211
Quote:
Hi everyone. Newbie here. Can someone tell me the sound quality difference between Sennheiser IE8 and the JVC FXT-90. I'm planning to get myself a second pair of IEM. I own a pair of IE8 but kind of to my disappointment, i must say it doesn't live up to the value of 400 over bucks. Well don't get me wrong it's a fantastic phone, just that the sound value-for-money wasn't that great. Anyone can throw in some ideas on the comparison? If it's comparable (or better than IE8) i'll grab a pair :)

Cheers and thanks.

well I haven't heard the IE8's, but for the price that you can get an FXT, I'd say its a no brainer, get one off of the sales forum, there's one up for $85.00 atm, I love the delicate n detailed balanced sound of the 90's! and they sound great right out of my iPod,

btw what about the IE 8's don't you like so much, or are dissapoited about, or where expecting? and what kind of sound is it that your in search of? and what head gear have you had some listening time with? file format, source, to amp or not amp? and head gear all play a role in the final output? oh and cables can also play a part aswell, silver helps the treble, copper helps the mids and the bass, silver plated copper falls nicely in between, as well and gold plated copper or silver?

oh and tips and there fit, will also have a BIG effect on the sound, so maybe your not getting a good fit with your IE8's? what I would do is put in the IEM and if I can push on them and change the sound for the better then that is a sure sign that your not getting a good fit? so try some different tips to see if that makes a differnce, and try repositioning them if such is the case also

oh and where did you get your IE8's? don't want to be a bummer, but they might be fakes? ggrr, ugh, I sure hope not

Dec 25, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #1,678 of 2,211
Thanks Anderoan for the elaborate reply. Appreciate it. Oh the IE8 should be genuine as i got it from Sennheiser HQ at Singapore. Unless the HQ fakes items? Shouldn't be i think.

I like the sound signature of IE8. Best pair of phones that i have got so far and also the most expensive that i've bought. Just that i think the sound value-to-cost ratio is not that optimal, well at least for me. I've been eyeing on this FXT for quite some time and i must say i'm impressed by most of the reviews. Haven't got a chance to really audition one myself. Guess the final verdict will really depend on my very own pair of ears haha.

Oh ya sure thanks you reminded me a very important issue. Back in  those days i did carry a portable amp with me when i travel. Nowadays when i get a bit older haha i think simple is elegant so i will just plug in on any portable device that i carry and listen on the fly. But still, good phones will make a huge difference. What do you carry as an portable setup? I gave it up long ago.

I reserve phones for use when i travel - portability is the priority. Open system in my cozy home - complexity can come into play as portability is not an issue. Cheers.

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #1,679 of 2,211
hey Theepman your welcome!

good to know you got them straight from the source, and yes bang for the buck is nice to come across, or bigger investments are also grear investments, would be nice to try it before we buy it? but not always the case, so educated guess's are they best most of us can do, ggrrr ugh! lol, so it is buy it try it, and worse case scenario, sell it in the sales forum,

my portable rig, lol, yea right not? is this bad boy!

iPod Classic 7th gen>CLAS>Lisa3/GS Voyager>ZOv1>ASG-1.2s/W4s, I use my FXTs with just my iPod Classic 6th gen, which does great, I find the FXT doesn't need or amp very well? so I keep it light as I bring that to work with me, so if it ever gets "lost" I won't be out a whole lot, I would love to lug my ^ "portable" rig to work but I don't dare cuz I would be crushed if it ever got "lost"

I am also interested in the EPH 100, it also has some great reviews? but with my ASGs i don't think I am missing out,

Happy Happy Listening! ho ho ho

Dec 25, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #1,680 of 2,211
Quote:
hey Theepman your welcome!

good to know you got them straight from the source, and yes bang for the buck is nice to come across, or bigger investments are also grear investments, would be nice to try it before we buy it? but not always the case, so educated guess's are they best most of us can do, ggrrr ugh! lol, so it is buy it try it, and worse case scenario, sell it in the sales forum,

my portable rig, lol, yea right not? is this bad boy!

iPod Classic 7th gen>CLAS>Lisa3/GS Voyager>ZOv1>ASG-1.2s/W4s, I use my FXTs with just my iPod Classic 6th gen, which does great, I find the FXT doesn't need or amp very well? so I keep it light as I bring that to work with me, so if it ever gets "lost" I won't be out a whole lot, I would love to lug my ^ "portable" rig to work but I don't dare cuz I would be crushed if it ever got "lost"

I am also interested in the EPH 100, it also has some great reviews? but with my ASGs i don't think I am missing out,

Happy Happy Listening! ho ho ho

Great setup Anderoan! Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep an eye for the FXT90. Meanwhile, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back