JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
May 12, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #1,486 of 2,211
Did some more comparisons today as I bought a new RSA Mustang recently, and burned it in through the first full charge (approx 70 hours).

setup 1: iPod classic 160GB -- iBasso CB07 -- iBasso T3 (volume at 1) -- FXT90 + ME Elec Balanced sound double flange tips (gray)

setup 2: iPod classic 160GB -- iBasso CB07 -- RSA Mustang (low gain, volume at 1st mark) -- FXT90 + ME Elec Balanced sound double flange tips (gray)

test 1: low frequency sweep
setup 1: audible at around 30 Hz
setup 2: audible at around 30 Hz

test 2: high frequency sweep
setup 1: audible at around 16 KHz
setup 2: audible at around 16 KHz

test 3: The Beatles - Hey Jude (ALAC)
setup 1:
setup 2:  wider soundstage

test 4: The Black Keys - Lonely Boy (ALAC)
setup 1:  louder bass, more sub-bass/rumble
setup 2:  wider soundstage

test 5: Jay-Z - Empire State of Mind (ALAC)
setup 1:  louder bass, more sub-bass/rumble
setup 2:  less sibilance on vocals "S"

test 6: Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watch Tower (ALAC)
setup 1:  highs (cymbals) were fatiguing with sibilance
setup 2:  sibilance not present on cymbals, wider soundstage

test 7: Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (ALAC)
setup 1:
setup 2:  Hiss in recording very obvious in the beginning of the track, wider soundstage resulted in a much less "trippy" effect when the guitars were transitioning between left and right channels

After comparing the 2 amps, I found the Mustang to be a better fit for the FXT90's due to the wider soundstage and slightly tamed highs (less sibilance).  The bass was sufficient for my tastes, as it had good impact.  The volume control and gain settings on the Mustang were also a better fit for my listening levels, as the T3's volume control was just above the channel imbalance range at setting 1.  I know I can use the FXT90's straight out of the iPod's headphone out, but I switch between using the PK1 and FXT90's in the office, so I prefer to keep the same source/amp in my setup.

May 18, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #1,489 of 2,211
Just FYI! JVC HA-FXT90 is onsale at futureshop.ca (CAD$99 for 2 sets - buy one get one free)

Amazing value! I enjoy my unit (from Japan)  Just want to share this news! Hope I did not break any head-fi forum rules. (please let me know if I do and will remove this message)

May 18, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #1,493 of 2,211
Wowow what an awesome deal! Someone should clear out their stock fast! 
ph34r.gif

May 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #1,498 of 2,211
Futureshop do this time to time.. I almost bought HD25-ii when they had buy one get one free sale. 
I would jump on this if I had not already sold fxt90 that I bought directly from japan and moved on... sound signature was not totally for me.

keep in mind we pay high taxes (12% BC) + enviro fee when we purchase earphones here in canada, after shipping to your destination (international shipping via canadapost) it will be lot higher than $50

May 18, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #1,500 of 2,211
Quote:
Futureshop do this time to time.. I almost bought HD25-ii when they had buy one get one free sale. 
I would jump on this if I had not already sold fxt90 that I bought directly from japan and moved on... sound signature was not totally for me.

keep in mind we pay high taxes (12% BC) + enviro fee when we purchase earphones here in canada, after shipping to your destination (international shipping via canadapost) it will be lot higher than $50

A fair point to anybody who wants someone in Canada to help them. Although, if anyone that loves a slight U-shape sound signature that has tight, punchy bass (not basshead level though), quite clear and sparkly highs yet with midrange not recessed, for anything below $99 is a steal IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back