JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
May 3, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #1,471 of 2,211
Quote:
I borrowed these from a friend today because being headphone newbie I wanted something decent to try out first as sort of a benchmark before purchasing my own. Coming from a ~20 USD Sony In Ear, I would obviously expect a massive difference from these 2 pairs, being a beginner at this sort of stuff. But I'm not feeling it.. I can't quite hear any sort of major difference.. I haven't used these for long, so maybe I'll just have to use them more? What sort of difference should I expect to get...? Thanks

:) 

The simplest explanation is that you're just not getting a good seal, as everyone's ear shape is different, and you will need to find the perfect tips that fit you....

Coming from a 20$ Sony In-Ear, there should be at least some difference, especially in detail and/or clarity.... 

May 3, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #1,472 of 2,211
Quote:
Hi all,

I am a complete newbie, so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I really love music, and have a huge collection of all kinds of music, but have never really know much about the technical side of things, and have stuck to relatively cheap(ish) hardware. After reading about all different kinds of headphones, I decided to take the plunge and by the JVC FXT90s as they seemed relatively cheap, and praised for being a decent all around IEM.

I am listening to them now through the laptop and although they sound decent, they only sound marginally better than my Sennheiser CX300II's. So I guess that either makes me tonedeaf, or I have the wrong setup. So I have a few questions....

I am using an old Sony A829 MP3 player, should I be using an amp as well for the best sound? I liked the look of the Ibasso t3.
I will get replacement tips, maybe monster tips but they are 45€ on Ebay... that seems a lot of money, is the difference that much better? 

How long would a pair of headphones like these take to burn in and would the differences be large? From what I read, it sounds like in some cases burn in turns a set of headphones into a completely new sound altogether.

I have been trying to hear the differences, but they seem quiet. One thing I do like, is the sounds coming from all angles. Much more open sounding. 

Sorry for the typical newbie questions, please feel free to skip over this post.

Benny

I don't know how much difference there is between the CX300 and the FXT90 because I have never heard a CX300, but from what I've heard, the CX300 bass is very much boomy... and the FXT90 should be an improvement in that area alone.... 

And no, you actually don't need an amp to properly drive the FXT90, although perhaps a good amp almost always improve SQ, it isn't what you'd call "major", and probably only will push another ~10% out of your FXT90.....

MP3 Player wise, as Inks stated in his first post, there shouldn't be a major difference regarding low/high impendance ouput sources....

Perhaps what you'd like to try is better recordings... if you're using 128kbps MP3 files, then the FXT90, which is a pretty transparent IEM, wouldn't really shine...

Try using 320kbps MP3 files, or even better, lossless files (FLAC, ALAC, etc.)

Tips wise, I really like Sony Hybrids with the FXT90's, and personally haven't tried the Monster tips...
45€ is a lot of money...

Not everyone is a believer of burn-in, but the standard (at least for me) is to just play music at moderate to higher than normal listening levels, for about 50 hours (most IEM's, including Joker's, are all burnt-in for 50 hours before review)
But again, the difference won't be huge... I do notice differences, subtle, but not mind-blowing...

What you're feeling is perhaps the layered presentation of the FXT90, which is one of it's strengths...

But there is one thing that I feel the FXT90 is best at, and that is Timbre....
Guitar sounds really alive/real with these.... perhaps do some more A/B-ing with your CX300 and I assure you that you will notice more and more difference....

May 3, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #1,473 of 2,211
^ True this.  I honestly wasn't very impressed with the FX-90's either, they were pretty good-nothing astounding.

But I just did some tip rolling and got pleasantly surprised at how solid they sound with the right tips and fit.  Went with Hybrids, one size larger than normal and not only are they more comfortable in the ear but the sound seems much more balanced.  Crispness of the treble and the clean mids are still there, but sound stage opened up a bit and the bass seems to feel and sound like just the right amount.  Extension on the highs and bass are both nicely done as well-for some reason this never stood out for me the first few listens.  Good timbre as always-seemingly a common theme with higher end JVCs. 

If they were a soccer/football team, I'd say the formation would be 4-3-3, in terms of treble-mids-bass; so I will have to disagree with those who have claimed that these are "all bass" first,then everything else.  I find that to be completely untrue to my ears-probably just need more burn in or better tips/fit.

Definitely going to get more play time for me now.

May 3, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #1,474 of 2,211
Thanks for the replies. :)

I have tried listening to both 320mp3 files and FLAC, and there isn't a huge difference if any. I guess I was either expecting more, or I need to think more about the sounds that they are producing, but at the moment they just feel a bit irritating and hissy, a bit like cheap headphones. They seem dramatically different on different tracks. 

So far I have listened to Yppah (A track called Ending with you is exceptionally cool, if you're not familiar), some Shoegaze and post rock. The qualities I have noticed are nice layering of sounds, and as well for me the guitars, especially acoustic sounding pretty up front and intricate. But I want more from them, as everyone else is loving them. I'm hoping it's just down to the tips.

Bass is virtually non-existent with mine. Even with bassy music.

Where can I get the Sony Hybrids? I couldn't find them on Ebay, which is where I will have to buy them. 

May 3, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #1,475 of 2,211
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. :)

I have tried listening to both 320mp3 files and FLAC, and there isn't a huge difference if any. I guess I was either expecting more, or I need to think more about the sounds that they are producing, but at the moment they just feel a bit irritating and hissy, a bit like cheap headphones. They seem dramatically different on different tracks. 

So far I have listened to Yppah (A track called Ending with you is exceptionally cool, if you're not familiar), some Shoegaze and post rock. The qualities I have noticed are nice layering of sounds, and as well for me the guitars, especially acoustic sounding pretty up front and intricate. But I want more from them, as everyone else is loving them. I'm hoping it's just down to the tips.

Bass is virtually non-existent with mine. Even with bassy music.

Where can I get the Sony Hybrids? I couldn't find them on Ebay, which is where I will have to buy them. 

Before buying other tips, experiment with the ones that came with your FXT90. I didn't see you mention in your post that you did. You'd be surprised at the difference in sound when you finally get a good fit.

May 4, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #1,476 of 2,211
What are the tips that came with the JVC's? I lost the medium size..and large is too big for me I think. Does anyone have a spare set lying around or do you know where I can buy them? If I can't buy them what are good replacements for the medium size? Thanks :)

May 4, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #1,477 of 2,211
The JVC stock tips look very much like MEElec single flanges, such those in their M11+ set. I find that the short double flanges from that kit give me the most balanced sound and secure fit. Sennheiser CX300 uses an identical tip, but it's pretty expensive with shipping for a single pair.

Another option would be hybrids from Radioshack - no cheaper but immediately available if you've got a retail store near you.

May 5, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #1,478 of 2,211
I recently noticed the same bass-loss problems that Spaz was having. I put the stock larges in today and they completely sealed my ear (the mediums simply went in, but didn't seal anything), which I realized is the whole point of tips, LOL. Immediately I noticed a new dimension came in through the sound and improved the isolation as well.

May 7, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #1,479 of 2,211
For those wondering, I can confirm that the FXT90 Limited Champagne version has a more rigid, microphonic cable, the original Black version is more supple, tangle-free, and memory-free...

I very much prefer the black version's cable

May 11, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #1,483 of 2,211
I tried these out at a shop today with medium buds + some Denon C710's, and I'm kinda torn between them. Any thoughts on the two being compared? How different are they? For me they're both exactly the same price, so I'm having quite a hard time deciding. 

May 11, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #1,484 of 2,211
Quote:
Future Shop (Canada) now selling these at $99 with 1 year warranty.

Went out and got myself a pair at Futureshop. Don't really have much to compare them to in terms of iems though. I was listening to mainly K-Pop and really enjoyed what I heard after my ears adjusted to the new sound. The only headphones I have in the price range are the ATH-M50's and I find the FXT90 better, at least for K-Pop haha. The male vocals in particular were a lot more enjoyable to hear and the female vocals were also a bit better. There was also improved detail throughout the song compared to my M50s in terms of the vocals and the instruments or electronic beats. 

Basically, if you listen to a lot of K-Pop and have a smaller budget, I think the FXT90 are a good choice and beat out a pair of headphones I enjoy in the ATH-M50. Very happy with my purchase and look forward to using them when I go for runs. Some of the songs I listened to:

Leessang - The Girl Who Can't Leave, The Boy Who Can't Break Up
Brown Eyed Girls - Abracadabra
Girls' Generation - Hoot
After School - Shampoo
G-Dragon - Heartbreaker
TVXQ - Wrong Number
T-ARA - Cry Cry

Used Clip+, rockboxed with the default setting and the preset Pop EQ.

May 11, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #1,485 of 2,211
Glad to see you're enjoying them, ringyring. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back