JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Mar 23, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #1,306 of 2,211
Well that's a weird idea, wearing it opposite sides. But worth a try. I've tried cable up with more rounded, and significantly cheaper IEMs before. But never thought of it pointing upwards though. Is there a name of this extension to search for? I'm not to keen on making one, although if its simple enough then it's worth a try.

Mar 23, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #1,307 of 2,211
So apparently wearing it cable up, and opposite sides really improve comfort by metric tons.* And apparently I think I've been inserting it too deep before IMO. I picked up some random tips I had laying around that's a little bit softer than stock, and inserted it like I normally do, and it seems to give me the same non-comfort. I pulled it out slightly and voila, better comfort. 

And I think the mids are starting to open up. Physical break in? Psychological? The new random tips I have lying around? I pick magic!**

* and ** have hyperbole applied.

Mar 23, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #1,308 of 2,211
Quote:
Is there a name of this extension to search for? I'm not to keen on making one, although if its simple enough then it's worth a try.

I don't know if they have a specific name.

All you need is small male to female extension with the left and right channels crossed.  The wire for the left channel on one end of the cable goes to the pin for the right channel on the on the other end and vice versa.

They're not exactly common but if you don't want to build one yourself you could try and find somebody on here who sells interconnects for a reasonable price.  It shouldn't cost any extra for them to just wire a normal extension cable backwards.

Mar 23, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #1,309 of 2,211
I see. Well i can search for it or maybe wet my hands in DIY cable, which should be fun, considering.

More update: so far I think I identified my source of discomfort cable down. I think it's the cable pulling the IEMs down. It might seem like so little, so I also tried using the shirt clip. It really is comfortable now, similar to if I wear it cable up and opposite side. I also tried cable up both the "stem" upwards and not. The former is not well- sealing and the latter only relieves a little bit. It seems the shirt clip is mandatory for me then, if not wearing it cable up.

Mar 23, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #1,310 of 2,211
Quote:
I see. Well i can search for it or maybe wet my hands in DIY cable, which should be fun, considering.

If you can't find a local DIYer to do it for you I'd imagine that high shipping costs would make it cheaper to make it yourself even after buying all the tools.

Soldering doesn't get any easier than making interconnects.  You'll just need a dirt cheap soldering iron, a little solder, a little bit of wire, and the male and  female 3.5mm connectors.  A multimeter will make testing easier and some heat shrink tubing will improve the durability some but they aren't strictly necessary.

I've got no clue how to help you source those kinds of things in Russia though.

Mar 23, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #1,311 of 2,211
Either way, that helps a lot already. I'd say 40% of the way already. The only thing I see potentially problematic sourcing are the connectors and the heat shrink tubing. The other material are common enough.

Again, thanks.

So far, I'm more convinced that it's the almost neglectible cable weight that's been the discomfort I experienced before. Now all is smooth sailing.
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #1,312 of 2,211

Quote:
. If I still had my FXT90s I'd post a pic. 

I'm assuming that you replaced your FXT90's with their bigger brother, the fx-700's? How are they? I've heard they had some isolation issues since they're an open-backed IEM?

Mar 24, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #1,313 of 2,211
So something I just noticed this morning when listening to me FXT90 on my phone. During quite parts/ in between music changes (stupid phone with no gapless playback), I can hear some very low clicking noise. So what does that means/shows? That the FXT90 is quite sensitive? I didn't notice this yesterday when mostly I'm on my desktop setup (F2k --> Fiio E10).

Mar 24, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #1,315 of 2,211
Am loving mine! I bought them off Nulliverse, who has been great dealing with, and they sound very close to my CAL! (which is a good thing) but with better isolation and less boomy bass (both positives). Also love the cable, it feels thick and soft, and the stock tips work fine for me. Great buy! 
beyersmile.png

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #1,318 of 2,211

Hi everyone, thanks to ljokerl;s review of these i bought them on tuesday through accessoryjack. Pretty interested to know how they will sound through my sansa clip+ and iphone 4. I was wondering if clieos has reviewed these yet? Just by accident i came by te news today that there is a follow-up to the sennheiser ie8 dynamic driver iem that started it all, the ie80. I was a big fan of the ie8 but for its veiled and recessed midrange bacause of its midbass hump and its non-sparkly treble. I loved its soundstage though. I wonder if anyone can compare the fxt90 to the ie80 (which apparently got rid of the midbass hump)? Thanks in advance Greetings, Anouk,

Mar 25, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #1,320 of 2,211

Quote:
I'm assuming that you replaced your FXT90's with their bigger brother, the fx-700's? How are they? I've heard they had some isolation issues since they're an open-backed IEM?

It was the other way round actually! I preferred the FXT90s, so sold my FX-700s. I've compared both on this thread, as have several others (one of whom also sold his FX700 in favor of his FXT90). They're two very different signatures, such that I (personally) view the FX-700 as the big brother of the FX-500, and the FXT90 as a non-conforming step-brother. Don't get me wrong, the FX-700 impressed me more in a technical sense - more refined / sparkly treble, bigger, better bass, wider soundstage, nicer timbre - but lacked the cohesion and musicality of the FXT90. The best example I can give of this is being blown away by the top and bottom end of the FX-700, whilst being blown away by the music with the FXT90. In the latter separate factors work seamlessly as one, creating a sense of wholeness and cohesion that never drew my attention towards this or that part of the sonic spectrum. I'm sure some will disagree, but if you look back through this thread you'll see that I am far from alone in my thoughts here.

The isolation was indeed lacking on the FX-700... and you're right, much of that could be put down - ironically - to one of its greatest strengths, those open backs. Although they help to create an incredible sense of openness, with music reaching your ears from outside of your head, the sacrifice is isolation. For many this wouldn't prove a problem, but 75% of my listening is done whilst cycling through buy traffic. The remaining 25% is done in bed, and the FX-700s were as bad at keeping sound in as they are at keeping sounds out, as was evidenced by my wife's intolerance.  

Quote:
Am loving mine! I bought them off Nulliverse, who has been great dealing with, and they sound very close to my CAL! (which is a good thing) but with better isolation and less boomy bass (both positives). Also love the cable, it feels thick and soft, and the stock tips work fine for me. Great buy! 
beyersmile.png

So glad you're appreciating them LooptroopRocker! I knew you would :) It's very satisfying for me to know that you're appreciating them as much as I did.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back