JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Nov 23, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #676 of 2,211
My MEEL 11 tips finally came in today, and they seem made for the FXT90 (not so much for the GR07 as the tips' diameters are too big). the sound is wonderful and everything I've tried thus far has given me a great seal. I have settled on the large straight double flange and the medium/large long single flange silicon. I was back with the GR07 the pass couple of days, but these new tips have me back enjoying the FXT90 again. I forget who here recommended these tips to me (but you know who you are), but thank you ever so much!! Happy listening...

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #677 of 2,211

Quote:
My MEEL 11 tips finally came in today, and they seem made for the FXT90 (not so much for the GR07 as the tips' diameters are too big). the sound is wonderful and everything I've tried thus far has given me a great seal. I have settled on the large straight double flange and the medium/large long single flange silicon. I was back with the GR07 the pass couple of days, but these new tips have me back enjoying the FXT90 again. I forget who here recommended these tips to me (but you know who you are), but thank you ever so much!! Happy listening...

beerchug.gif

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #678 of 2,211
I've been listening with the Sony hybrids myself, and the FXT90's are really beginning to grow on me, by the minute. The Atrio bi-flanges work quite well too. 
smile.gif

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #679 of 2,211
Just went back and forth between the GR07 and FXT90, and I prefer the latter by quite a fair margin. The GR07 is comparatively warmer, but the FXT90's highs are higher, the mids slightly more transparent, the overall presentation slightly more forward, open and airy, and the low's convey greater slam, with authority! The FXT90's timbre is also much closer to the FX700, than is the GR07. To be honest, I felt the GR07 sounded slightly congested in comparison, in quite a few tracks, but that may be due to the FXT90's comparatively brighter (or less warmer, if you will) presentation, which gives it a more lively feel. As far as I'm concerned (preferences considered), for my intents and purposes, the GR07 has officially met it's better half. That's just me of course, and needless to say, the GR07 is still one of the best bang for buck in-ears out there, and I wouldn't hesitate the least bit to recommend it wherever I see fit. 
smile.gif

P.S. In case anyone is wondering, the FXT90 I have up for sale isn't my only pair. 
wink.gif

Nov 23, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #680 of 2,211

Quote:
Just went back and forth between the GR07 and FXT90, and I prefer the latter by quite a fair margin. The GR07 is comparatively warmer, but the FXT90's highs are higher, the mids slightly more transparent, the overall presentation slightly more forward, open and airy, and the low's convey greater slam, with authority! The FXT90's timbre is also much closer to the FX700, than is the GR07. To be honest, I felt the GR07 sounded slightly congested in comparison, in quite a few tracks, but that may be due to the FXT90's comparatively brighter (or less warmer, if you will) presentation, which gives it a more lively feel. As far as I'm concerned (preferences considered), for my intents and purposes, the GR07 has officially met it's better half. That's just me of course, and needless to say, the GR07 is still one of the best bang for buck in-ears out there, and I wouldn't hesitate the least bit to recommend it wherever I see fit. 
smile.gif

P.S. In case anyone is wondering, the FXT90 I have up for sale isn't my only pair. 
wink.gif

A very good A/B track for the GR07 and FXT90, Mannheim Steamroller, Christmas 25th Aniversary album, "Little Drummer Boy", try this track and see which one you like best......they are pretty equal with this track.....but the GR07 wins on drums...IMO.

Nov 23, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #681 of 2,211
Quote:
A very good A/B track for the GR07 and FXT90, Mannheim Steamroller, Christmas 25th Aniversary album, "Little Drummer Boy", try this track and see which one you like best......they are pretty equal with this track.....but the GR07 wins on drums...IMO.

Thank you for the suggestion, my friend. I'll give it a go. 
smile.gif

Just wanted to mention, the Vsonic bi-flanges provide a deep insertion & good seal with the FXT90. 
etysmile.gif

Nov 23, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #682 of 2,211

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for the suggestion, my friend. I'll give it a go. 
smile.gif

Just wanted to mention, the Vsonic bi-flanges provide a deep insertion & good seal with the FXT90. 
etysmile.gif

I tried those......I get no seal at all.....I am using Sennheiser medium replacement silicone tips purchased online, these give me a very good seal on the FXT90, awesome bass/very good over all sound.  I am also using them on my RE272, best bass on those.  I am using them on my new Brainwavz M4 as well......these have bass equal to FXT90/GR07, mids slightly recessed....and very sparkly/extented highs....like them very much as well.  I had the Brainwavz B2 twice, returned them both times for refund.  The M4 have highs comparable to the B2, but do they ever have thump'in, tight bass.  Great clarity and detail throughout.  Still A/Bing with the GR07, FXT90 and M4.....very happy with the M4!

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #683 of 2,211
Quote:
I tried those......I get no seal at all.....I am using Sennheiser medium replacement silicone tips purchased online, these give me a very good seal on the FXT90, awesome bass/very good over all sound.  I am also using them on my RE272, best bass on those.  I am using them on my new Brainwavz M4 as well......these have bass equal to FXT90/GR07, mids slightly recessed....and very sparkly/extented highs....like them very much as well.  I had the Brainwavz B2 twice, returned them both times for refund.  The M4 have highs comparable to the B2, but do they ever have thump'in, tight bass.  Great clarity and detail throughout.  Still A/Bing with the GR07, FXT90 and M4.....very happy with the M4!

That for me is an absolute 

Are these the Sennheiser tips you're referring to, my friend? As in, the ones shown on the right?

P.S. Now that I mention it, the Senn bi-flanges (shown on the left) work just as well.

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #684 of 2,211
I can't wait for mine to be reasonably broken in to compare with the GR07. I have a feeling the FTX90 will sound better due to the exciting sound signature, but the GR07 will sound duller while being more accurate.

Nov 23, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #685 of 2,211

Quote:
Quote:
That for me is an absolute 

Are these the Sennheiser tips you're referring to, my friend? As in, the ones shown on the right?

P.S. Now that I mention it, the Senn bi-flanges (shown on the left) work just as well.

There are a lot of different Sennheiser tips floating around the internet.  I found mine on Amazon.com, sold by Bluetooth Fixer.  They are thinner silicone than the stock JVC FXT90 tips (same size opening as the stock tips).....comparing the stock silicone tips and the Senns, the sound is different, more bass, and more open sounding through the mids and highs, they seal very easily on all three earphones that I use them with.....I have many many tips that I have tried..........the Senn bi-flanges don't work for me at all........

The M4's are the most fun earphones that I have tried....such an open sound from bottom end to top, very lively, best instrament separatation and imaging that I have heard, with lots of sparkle and bass.....can't believe these were under $70!

The M4 mids are not recessed on all tracks............FXT90 can have recessed mids as well on some tracks, IMO, depends on the recording....recessed on the FXT90, not so on the GR09....just depends....

I would keep the M4 just to listen to "The Ry Cooder Anthology: The UFO Has Landed", some of the best guitar that I have heard, the M4's just sound terrific with this album.....huge soundstage, fantastic imaging and separation, can hear every pick, strum and slide of the guitars like I was right there......Not the same album on the FXT90 or GR07.

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #686 of 2,211
I think I mentioned this earlier.. with some tracks, I've found that vocals can sound more inline with surrounding instruments on the FXT.  With (more) technically accurate/neutral phones, those same vocals are placed/image slightly in front of the surrounding stage instruments.  This isn't of any tremendous consequence, though.. more of a general observation.. which could explain why, to some, the mids (or certain parts of the midrange) can sound (or feel) recessed.

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #687 of 2,211
Strange. I'm on the opposite end of the scale. I've listened to hours of vocal trance on the FXT90's, and never once have I found their midrange recessed, rather open, transparent, and (if anything) quite balanced/neutral. They're slowly but surely becoming one of my absolute favorite in-ears. 
smile.gif

Nov 24, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #688 of 2,211
Strange. I'm on the opposite end of the scale. I've listened to hours of vocal trance on the FXT90's, and never once have I found their midrange recessed, rather open, transparent, and (if anything) quite balanced/neutral. They're slowly but surely becoming one of my absolute favorite in-ears. 
smile.gif

I agree.. the midrange, as a whole, isn't recessed in any way.  With a very few, select tracks, I've heard vocals sound in line (not recessed) with surrounding stage instruments.. being that they are mid-centric (and ever so slightly mid-forward), this is largely rendered inconsequential.

Nov 24, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #689 of 2,211

Quote:
smile.gif

That is where we differ.  I have never listened to vocal trance......I listen to a broad range of music/genres dating back to the sixties.  That is what I meant by, "it depends on the recording".  I also listen to a lot of remasters, so if we are not listening to the same tracks/types of music I can see why you would hear differently.  I hear recessed mids on the FXT90, that are not recessed on the GR07, quite the opposite....I do a lot of A/Bing with my earphones, using the same tracks/albums.....they can sound quite different depending on genre and the way they were recorded.  So many variables in this sport, that is why you need to listen and decide for yourself.  Everyone hears differently....you should treat what we say here on head-fi with a grain of salt, until you hear for yourself, IMO!

Nov 24, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #690 of 2,211
The wait is over!  FXT90s were waiting for me in my mailbox when I got home from work yesterday.  That's a mere 10 days after I hit the "Buy It Now" button on ebay...  No small feat.

My disorganized impressions thus far:

-Build quality and design are exactly what I expected--sturdy construction, just enough weight to them to make them "feel" durable, and they look classy in an unassuming way as befits a pair of $120 phones.  Microphonics aren't great when worn down, but a non-factor when worn over the ear.  Isolation is strictly average.

-I've got driver flex on both sides, but I don't really see/hear what all the fuss is about.  Makes for some squishy noises while inserting them, but is otherwise not at all present.  I have a feeling this would go away entirely with different tips, as the stock medium tips do give a fairly vacuum-like "sticky" seal in my ears.

-As for the sound (after only 6-7 hours of burn-in), it's pretty much exactly what I expected:  these are really up-front and in-your-face headphones.  To put it in spacial terms, it kind of feels like sitting 3-4 feet away from a pair of stereo speakers with about 4 feet between them.  The soundstage width is a bit limited because everything feels so close to my head, but not to the detriment of L/R separation.  The dynamics/depth are really nice, and the instrument separation is spectacular.  I've never really heard such obviously "coloured" headphones manage to achieve such surgical precision when it comes to instrument separation.  It's a really cool effect--a very natural, musical sounding 3D effect.  Actually, given this, I feel like a wider soundstage would push these over the edge into "fake surround sound" territory, so I can understand the decision to keep the width reeled in.

-Bass/Mids/Highs:  In keeping with my expectations, a very pleasing amount of bass (not hearing the mid-bass hump yet myself).  Bass is adequately thick, somewhat to the detriment of clarity...  Again, it reminds me of a good home stereo woofer in that it provides a satisfying amount of impact and presence, even if it downplays the detail somewhat, especially compared to the mids + highs.  

Speaking of which, the mids are really nice.  Very crisp, fast, detailed--as advertised!  

That said, THERE IS HARSHNESS.  I hear it in the upper-mids/lower-highs--the nasal frequencies.  Tom Verlaine's voice on 'Adventure' (by Television) is nasal to begin with, but these cans take an already difficult voice and make it practically unlistenable.  I find they also bring out the less pleasing elements of upper-mid-centric clean guitar tones and snare drums.  I'm really, really hoping this "honkiness" mellows out with burn-in, as it currently makes these headphones unnecessarily fatiguing, albeit mainly on tracks that prominently feature that frequency range.

Otherwise, the sparkle and detail in the highs is great.  The treble is not inherently cold or harsh, but rather it's that one spike in the high mids/low highs that jumps out as the lone sore spot in the frequency range and in a sense casts an unfortunate 'coldness' on the overall character of the FXT90s.  I definitely plan to let these burn in a bunch before making any rash decisions, and I may also order a set of M11 tips in an effort to improve isolation and tame those upper mids if they don't go away on their own.

Overall, these sound classy and I can undoubtedly hear their potential--enough so that I'm willing to be patient with them for a few weeks.  They are otherwise exactly what I was looking for--a near perfect blend of detail/separation/3Dness and musicality.  If/when the harshness goes away, I'll be perfectly happy to make these my go-to pair of cans for the next few years. :wink:  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back