JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Mar 8, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #1,247 of 2,211

Quote:

Can you elaborate? 

....Max. Input Capability : 150mW(IEC)

I should probably say that it's more like 50-60% of Volume to prevent hearing loss. Sorry.
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 8, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #1,248 of 2,211
Just got these in, and so far I have minor driver flex in the left ear, but only upon insertion. There was some weird imbalance in my left ear itself upon taking them out, but went away after a while. 

First off, these cables feel fairly sturdy and not cheap. The little clip that comes with the iems are a miracle for a particular first world problem. Makes these truly shine with portability, which is saying something since IEMs are inherently portable already. The stock tips fit into my ear perfectly, and the isolation is competent, blocking out 90% of noise when I'm listening at 50-60% volume.

As for the sound, a lot of what has been said describes it far better than I can, but I can confirm some of the said properties. These things are very balanced across the spectrum, but have an edge in the treble and upper midrange. I haven't heard sibilance so far, but I think some Drum n Bass tracks I've listened to might be pushing it. Before I get on the bass, I'd like to give some context: I've ALWAYS had cheap headphones. I'm just now starting to get into the world of competent sound quality. That being said, I've never had a truly pleasant experience with bass since it's either extremely overblown or completely nonexistent. This headphone has shown me the light in that sense; strong yet refined bass that punches when it's needed but never bleeds into the other spectrums. I can't really comment on the mid-range thus far since I've admittedly been spending more time analyzing its two brothers, but damn, Nulliverse said it right when these things give guitars great ZING! Great electrical guitar timbre.

Well, that's my first attempted description of head-fi sound ever (and 100th post!), so please don't shoot me if I did bad, haha! Might add onto the impressions as I get experience with these IEMs, but I just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for showing me the fxt-90's. Right now, they're everything I want in an IEM.

Mar 8, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #1,249 of 2,211

Quote:
Just got these in, and so far I have minor driver flex in the left ear, but only upon insertion. There was some weird imbalance in my left ear itself upon taking them out, but went away after a while. 

First off, these cables feel fairly sturdy and not cheap. The little clip that comes with the iems are a miracle for a particular first world problem. Makes these truly shine with portability, which is saying something since IEMs are inherently portable already. The stock tips fit into my ear perfectly, and the isolation is competent, blocking out 90% of noise when I'm listening at 50-60% volume.

As for the sound, a lot of what has been said describes it far better than I can, but I can confirm some of the said properties. These things are very balanced across the spectrum, but have an edge in the treble and upper midrange. I haven't heard sibilance so far, but I think some Drum n Bass tracks I've listened to might be pushing it. Before I get on the bass, I'd like to give some context: I've ALWAYS had cheap headphones. I'm just now starting to get into the world of competent sound quality. That being said, I've never had a truly pleasant experience with bass since it's either extremely overblown or completely nonexistent. This headphone has shown me the light in that sense; strong yet refined bass that punches when it's needed but never bleeds into the other spectrums. I can't really comment on the mid-range thus far since I've admittedly been spending more time analyzing its two brothers, but damn, Nulliverse said it right when these things give guitars great ZING! Great electrical guitar timbre.

Well, that's my first attempted description of head-fi sound ever (and 100th post!), so please don't shoot me if I did bad, haha! Might add onto the impressions as I get experience with these IEMs, but I just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for showing me the fxt-90's. Right now, they're everything I want in an IEM.

I had the same driver flex problem, but now it's fading away. If you hear quick clicks while burn-in, it means that the driver flex is starting to fade steadily. It's natural because it use to happen to my SP51.

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #1,250 of 2,211
Hmmm... one potential problem I'm having. It's as if the right phone is louder than the left phone, maybe there's more stuff going on. Anyone have this problem? Vocals, in particular, seem to predominately in the right phone as opposed to the left one, but A/B'ing doesn't do the problem any merit. The audio "images" I see are more to the right. Is this indicative of possible driver imbalance, or is that the way the phones are set up?

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #1,251 of 2,211

Quote:
Hmmm... one potential problem I'm having. It's as if the right phone is louder than the left phone, maybe there's more stuff going on. Anyone have this problem? Vocals, in particular, seem to predominately in the right phone as opposed to the left one, but A/B'ing doesn't do the problem any merit. The audio "images" I see are more to the right. Is this indicative of possible driver imbalance, or is that the way the phones are set up?

Which side has the driver flex ?

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #1,252 of 2,211

Quote:

Sounds similar to something like the Sony MDR-EX600. I think it might have something to do with Mastering of the music or the fact that it the electrode transmission of Left and Right. Could be so something with the driver flex, but I'm not having that issue anymore because the FXT90 is now at 6-8 hours of burn-in.

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #1,253 of 2,211

Quote:
Which side has the driver flex ?

It's the left side, which is the same side which has less of the images. I'm starting to think that driver flex has to do with it, but I'm hoping it'll go away with burn-in. I can't even tell if there's a volume difference, but there's definitely a prominence of sound on the right phone, as if something is blocking the images from coming from the left side. I'm not crazy, right?

Sounds similar to something like the Sony MDR-EX600. I think it might have something to do with Mastering of the music or the fact that it the electrode transmission of Left and Right. Could be so something with the driver flex, but I'm not having that issue anymore because the FXT90 is now at 6-8 hours of burn-in.

I don't think it's the mastering, since it's happening across many songs. I'm hoping the driver flex will tone down after burn-in as well. 

There's no drastic volume difference, but there's enough prominence in the right as opposed to the left that make it a little uncomfortable. I also notice that after pulling out the IEM, my left ear feels peculiar to my right ear, maybe I should clean it? :p

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #1,254 of 2,211

Quote:
are you serious?  im thinking about buying the ha-fxt90, currently listening on something like 70% on the iphone with cx300 (altough no comparison)

Ignore the comment. I meant to prevent hearing loss.

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #1,255 of 2,211

Quote:
It's the left side, which is the same side which has less of the images. I'm starting to think that driver flex has to do with it, but I'm hoping it'll go away with burn-in. I can't even tell if there's a volume difference, but there's definitely a prominence of sound on the right phone, as if something is blocking the images from coming from the left side. I'm not crazy, right?

I have same problem with Xears XE200PRO, bass has considerably lower magnitude in left side. And then there is driver flex.

Mar 9, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #1,256 of 2,211
I've been living with my FXT-90s for the past 4 months and the sound signature is exactly what I need. However, the time has come for me to buy an additional pair of IEMs, and I thought what better place than here to ask which other IEM would be closest to these in terms of brightness and soundstage. They will be paired with a ZO2.3, so light bass would be ok. I'm currently considering the RE-262/272. Any feedback would be most helpful.

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #1,257 of 2,211

Quote:
I've been living with my FXT-90s for the past 4 months and the sound signature is exactly what I need. However, the time has come for me to buy an additional pair of IEMs, and I thought what better place than here to ask which other IEM would be closest to these in terms of brightness and soundstage. They will be paired with a ZO2.3, so light bass would be ok. I'm currently considering the RE-262/272. Any feedback would be most helpful.

RE272 works extremely well with ZO2.3 esp you get better bass response and slightly colored sound. Clarity and Detailing is better than FXT90.

Mar 9, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #1,258 of 2,211
WARNING: DO NOT USE THE FIIO E6 w/BASS LEVEL 2 FOR THE FXT90 USLESS IF THE FIIO E6 IS STABLE.

It nearly shorted out the right side, but it's stronger than ever, but seriously don't risk LEVEL 2. It may sound 2X better, but it's too risky unless if your Fiio E6 is stable. Just a little test I'm doing just in-case if anyone is under that type of situation.

Mar 9, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #1,259 of 2,211
My FXT90 is starting to really open up on the left side and there are little hints of the driver flex present. The soundstage is becoming deeper and wider, while the instrument separation is becoming better and better by the hour. The entire frequency is also starting to sound more natural. The FXT90 is officially the most superior headphone in my collection and that's due to the accuracy, precision, layering, timbre, coloration, imaging, transparency and clarity. All of the sound characteristics outwitting the Ultrasone HFI-450 and Beyerdynamic DTX 910 by a country mile. This is all after 12 hours of burn-in. It has yet to reach its' full potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back