JVC HA-FW01 - The New Top End Wood Driver IEM (2017)
May 8, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #571 of 780
Hi, im in love with the fx850, would like to know whether I should go for the fx1100/1200 or the FW01? Music preference is hip hop and i would like a spacious sound stage

I was extremely happy with the FW01 while I owned it (I gave it to my son) and felt it was better balanced than the 850 or 1100 with smoother high frequencies without loss of detail. Additionally, compared to the 1100, the FW01 is more compact in size, and it was more secure in my ears when out on hikes. Hope that helps with your decision process.

May 8, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #572 of 780
I was extremely happy with the FW01 while I owned it (I gave it to my son) and felt it was better balanced than the 850 or 1100 with smoother high frequencies without loss of detail. Additionally, compared to the 1100, the FW01 is more compact in size, and it was more secure in my ears when out on hikes. Hope that helps with your decision process.
thank you very much!

May 18, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #573 of 780
I went over this thread again because, despite my efforts to replace it, the FW01 has gotten the most ear time from me over the past 14 or so months. The timbre and spaciousness is so natural, even if they're not the last word on resolution and have overly bloated bass.

I tried the @james444 mod when I first got these and for whatever reason reversed it. I tried it again and I won't reverse it this time. It controls the bass, benefiting midrange clarity.

I'd like to upgrade to to a silver balanced cable to enhance clarity. I don't want to go crazy with price <$100. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #574 of 780
I went over this thread again because, despite my efforts to replace it, the FW01 has gotten the most ear time from me over the past 14 or so months. The timbre and spaciousness is so natural, even if they're not the last word on resolution and have overly bloated bass.

I tried @james444 when I first got these and for whatever reason reversed it. I tried it again and I won't reverse it this time. It controls the bass, benefiting midrange clarity.

I'd like to upgrade to to a silver balanced cable to enhance clarity. I don't want to go crazy with price <$100. Any recommendations?

Can't help you with a cable recommendation, I'm afraid. But I plan to give the FD01 a try in two weeks or so... those should be an upgrade in clarity / resolution, though likely a little too aggressive in stock form. However, going by the measurements I've seen, I might be able to modify / retune them to a slightly more relaxed sound signature, while retaining most of their clarity.

Obviously can't promise anything yet, but their drivers seem to be top notch, so I have high hopes...

May 18, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #575 of 780
Can't help you with a cable recommendation, I'm afraid. But I plan to give the FD01 a try in two weeks or so... those should be an upgrade in clarity / resolution, though likely a little too aggressive in stock form. However, going by the measurements I've seen, I might be able to modify / retune them to a slightly more relaxed sound signature, while retaining most of their clarity.

Obviously can't promise anything yet, but their drivers seem to be top notch, so I have high hopes...

Please keep us posted! I'm thinking of getting them too for a more analytical DD option. Wondering about the FD01 vs FD02, so a comparison of the stainless steel vs others would be appreciated.

May 18, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #576 of 780
Please keep us posted! I'm thinking of getting them too for a more analytical DD option. Wondering about the FD01 vs FD02, so a comparison of the stainless steel vs others would be appreciated.

Will do! I'm particularly interested in how the three nozzles might differ in sound, because reportedly they all have the same acoustic damping.

May 18, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #578 of 780
While we're talking here, I believe on this thread you had some good but brief things to say about the NUARL NX01As. Anything else to say on them?

I still think they're good IEMs, but have been surpassed by others on my personal list of faves. I'll post more about that on the other forum soon, since the search for a reasonably neutral high quality DD seems to be still a top issue for quite a few people.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #579 of 780
Jun 21, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #580 of 780
Just wanted to post I am still loving these. I have since purchased the ie800's but still go for these 50% of the time. They have a certain delicacy to them that I have not experienced elsewhere even in home speakers. The ie800's have the sparkly cranked up to 10 which can give you a smile but the mids on the fw01's are hands down better and the sparkle is all there just dialed down.

Any news on 2018 woodies?

Aug 19, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #581 of 780
Double owner of the HA-FX 850 here.... just got a used FW01 in the house and man, love it. It’s all the 850 is and then some.

More control, more finesse but also more ooomph, not sure how JVC pulls that off. It’s the go to fun iem for me.

LOVE THIS SET!!!

Aug 19, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #582 of 780
Yep, love my FW01 too. ^^

They scale incredibly well on desktop amplifiers. Great pairing with Rupert Neve RNHP, Arcam rHead, Schiit Jotunheim and... Lake People amps! Indeed, a few days ago I plugged them on a G105 fed by an Aune S16 dac with Vovox XLR IC. Fantastic. Tight and impactful low end, great soundstage and layering.

Eternal gratitude to the angelic human being who gave me these woodies for my birthday. Bless his soul.

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #584 of 780
Maaann... so last year by good fortune I got to own a pair of HA-FX700.. Maann... it left a permanent mark on me. Music has never sounded that goood... musical... and natural... I wanted to keep them but the fatiguing V-shape sound and terribly recessed mids weren't to my liking.
With that said, is there any news of Victor/JVC making Woodies but with a mid-centric/balanced sound-signature? Maaan, that would be a groundbreaker right there. I'd save up for that even if it costs 100s lol.
From what I researched so far on HeadFi, the FW01s are the latest release from the Woodie lineups that is the least recessed right? This is my dream sound signature tbh, anything else sounds digital/clinical if that makes any sense. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!!! Even non-Woodie models that have similar timbre are welcome. Heck, even speakers if they have that unmatched tonality are welcome too. Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #585 of 780
Maaann... so last year by good fortune I got to own a pair of HA-FX700.. Maann... it left a permanent mark on me. Music has never sounded that goood... musical... and natural... I wanted to keep them but the fatiguing V-shape sound and terribly recessed mids weren't to my liking.
With that said, is there any news of Victor/JVC making Woodies but with a mid-centric/balanced sound-signature? Maaan, that would be a groundbreaker right there. I'd save up for that even if it costs 100s lol.
From what I researched so far on HeadFi, the FW01s are the latest release from the Woodie lineups that is the least recessed right? This is my dream sound signature tbh, anything else sounds digital/clinical if that makes any sense. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!!! Even non-Woodie models that have similar timbre are welcome. Heck, even speakers if they have that unmatched tonality are welcome too. Thanks!

The FX700 is one of the oldest models; it was first released in 2009(!). After that was the FX650, FX750, FX850, and FX1100 In 2014.

The lineup as of 2016 is the FW01, 02, 03 (under the Class-S marketing) and FW7 (under the N_W marketing). The 01 and 02 are marketed more like in-ear versions of the SW01 and 02 headphones that were released in 2015.

The point is, JVC has kept working to improve their wood driver technology.

James444 is familiar with many of the models; you could reach out to him.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back