JVC HA-FW01 - The New Top End Wood Driver IEM (2017)
Jan 16, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #766 of 780
My 1100 are on their last leg, one of the mesh vents broke somehow.

So I’m currently A/Bing the FW01 and FW1800. I’m preferring the FW01 so far, it feels a bit more in your head, deeper low end, but slightly more veiled in the upper frequencies. They really slam on Evelyn Kings “I’m in Love”

The FW1800 seems to be a bit wider maybe, but thinner in the lower end and neutral. Not as “fun”

Gonna keep listening and post some more impressions. Which ones do y’all prefer?
Fw10k all the way.

Jan 16, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #768 of 780
😀

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #769 of 780
Maybe tuning differences. Gotta A/B both to find out. My $5500 rhapsodio Supreme Iem have the same drivers as the $4500 rhapsodio bomber but they sound different because of the tuning. Maybe 1800 and 10k have different tuning.
I agree. They also don’t have the same housing.

Jan 17, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #770 of 780
Side note: anyone have a spare JVC FW01 or FW1800 cable laying around they would sell me? Or alternatively, can recommend a cheap alternative?

Jan 17, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #771 of 780
Side note: anyone have a spare JVC FW01 or FW1800 cable laying around they would sell me? Or alternatively, can recommend a cheap alternative?
I gave mine to my brother, and I don’t know where to find a replacement. I can recommend Sony’s 3.5mm cable that comes with models like the XBA-N3. Search for: Sony headphone Cable MUC-M12SM2. You can find it on EBay, Amazon Japan, Kakaku etc. but the prices sometimes go above $100.

Jan 17, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #772 of 780
I gave mine to my brother, and I don’t know where to find a replacement. I can recommend Sony’s 3.5mm cable that comes with models like the XBA-N3. Search for: Sony headphone Cable MUC-M12SM2. You can find it on EBay, Amazon Japan, Kakaku etc. but the prices sometimes go above $100.
I'll check that out. 99% of the ones on Amazon US are over ear style.

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #775 of 780
Listening today to these, first time I found the stock cable really bad, switch to one aftermarket silverplated and they sound way better, as stated before, not so good with metal, listening to in flames whoracle, the sound is closed almost kneaded, then I put a more relaxed music, Lia Ices, grown unknown and wow, velvet sound, very beautiful!

Attachments

• PXL_20220517_163044787.jpg
    PXL_20220517_163044787.jpg
    719.3 KB · Views: 0
Oct 25, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #776 of 780
We need to talk about these...

I'm so glad I wasn't able to sell my pair even at a rock bottom price. Curiosity strikes as it always will with unsold items in a drawer.

I remembered originally finding mids a little recessed/muddy/underwater... and I haven't been able to reproduce that whatsoever. If anythign I'm reminded of my Penon Fan for having a hefty bass but also very clear treble.

One potential factor is this time around I'm just popping them in my ears hanging down... I never wear any sets that way, unless it's the only possible way (MX500 shells on earbuds etc) even other earbuds (Penon PAC buds for example) I'll find a way to wear them over ear. No microphonics from the cable, comfortable, good seal. Nice!

Anyway, for the last day and a half I'd been enjoying them a lot. To some extent missing a little but of sub-bass extension relative to mid bass.

Tried tuning foam in my eartips but it just overly warmed / muddied things up.

Then I put stickers on 2 out of 3 of the front vents:

1666726651558.png

Everything it already had, with sub bass too. Super clean, physical bass, clear highs, mids do not seem unatrually recessed or at a level I would have to volume-creep to keep in the mix.

What a dynamic set!
With the mod, 2 days into doing a lot of listening, I can't really find issue with them. Using the Final E tips pictured.

Mar 4, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #777 of 780
I've been looking at JVC woodies since a while back but never got a set. Then I missed the relatively recent (Jan. '23) sale at Drop for these guys. So found them on Amazon for reasonable price of $204. I think the Drop price was around $120, which is a much better savings. Can't do anything about it now. Amazon delivery should be in a couple days. Reading through this thread is biding my time while I'm waiting for the delivery.

Just curious, is there a JVC woodie timeline / history somewhere that lists the models, model improvements, release dates, and sound characteristics?

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #778 of 780
Well, I've had my FW01s for several days now. Right out of the box with the medium tips there was bass overload. I connected them to my stereo and did a short 24 hour burn in. They did sound better, but still quite bassy. Then I switched to the next smaller tip size and what a difference it made. Still have a good seal, but maybe the insertion depth is a little more. Even with the very short burn in they sound great with the smaller tips. Anyway, per this threads suggestion I'm gonna burn them in for a lot longer and hope these guys get well seasoned and sound even better.

Sep 3, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #780 of 780
This is a phenomenon I can't wrap my head around... people will readily wait hundreds of hours for burn-in effects, or pay hundreds of dollars for third-party cables to "upgrade" the sound.

But they refuse to try something that takes 5 minutes, costs nothing, and actually makes a difference.
That is, if one's fat fingas can perform the feat of getting the tiny strip to stay in place whilst fitting a tight tip-stem over it at the same time....aiiiyeee!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back