JVC HA-FD01 Class S Solidege
Apr 1, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #196 of 428
Well, the XBA-N3 was actually the one IEM I was seriously considering buying when I went to e-earphones the day before leaving Japan, so I gave it a good listen.
I did compare it more to the EX800 though, since they have more in common and I was wondering if it would be worth having both. All that said I have to go by memory

From my memory the main difference between the N3 and the EX800 was mids and treble, which sounded smoother on the N3, you could hear the BA detail, refinement and texture, and I liked it a lot, actually preferred it over the EX800 but not by much. The EX800 mids can be a tiny bit hard and the treble can be too hot at times. Bass was relatively similar in quantity on the N3 and EX800, don’t remember much about the quality.
The FD02 (modded) is a little brighter than both the EX800 and the N3, but in modded form by no means bright. It still has very good bass quantity and quality, balanced. The thing that stands out is that I feel it combines the resolution, detail and refinement of BA with the dynamics of a DD. It’s extended, detailed, energetic, yet just smooth enough to never sound harsh (if it’s not in the recording....)

A track I used a lot for comparison is Stravinsky’s “Firebird” as it covers a wide range of frequencies and instruments, has some really difficult violin passages and it is a real challenge to convey the speed and energy of the piece.
https://tidal.com/track/77607310
I don’t know all the names of the instruments in english, but the FD02 is doing an excellent job at reproducing each and every one of them, with speed, attack, the right timbre and just the right amount of bite in the treble, sharp, but pleasantly so, not painfully. And the bass slams fast and hard, it’s really energetic.

I liked the N3 and if I had to pick between it and the EX800 I might have taken the N3 (despite Crinacle ranking the Ex800 much higher)
But if the choice is between FD02 and N3, without a doubt I’d pick the JVC.

Hope that helps a little...
Interesting...thanks!
I have the N3 and I'm using it and like it more and more in balanced mode.
My feeling about FD02 was that it could be too bright and fatiguing, with potentially aggressive highs but that's just from what I've read.

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #197 of 428
The EX800ST has the biggest soundstage, without any doubt. With the "open" back design it's really very big.
I has a special bass, powerful and textured but not overhwelming, mids are clean and detailed but can be a little overshadowed by the bass, and a more energetic treble that can get a tad sharp at times.
It's coherent and fun, just has a lot more mid bass than the FD02.

The FD02 soundstage with the Nobunaga cable is precise and realistic, very good focus.
Soundwise the FD02 is balanced, fast, precise, detailed, and beaaauuuuutiful! Goosebumps!!!!
Funny enough I find the bass of the FD02 better than the legendary EX800, cleaner and more textured.

The KPE IMO has a kind of "glow" or "halo" effect which makes it sound wide, but not as accurate.
But I felt like timbre was off especially with difficult string music, and it was kind of slow, didn't have the macro or microdynamics of the FD02.
Also mid bass is a bit recessed. Take "Dragonborn" which really needs slam and good balance between frequencies, the KPE just doesn't convey the energy that makes that song.
A song like "Running with the Wolves" by Aurora on the other hand works well with the KPE, making her voice float with the deeb bass rumbling below, but there are busier passages where the KPE can't keep things in order and sounds off.
That last song sounds beautiful with the FD02, but less magically floating, tighter and more accurate.

Out of those 3 I actually like the FD02 best, the EX800 is a very close second with a different character.
I liked the KPE a lot when I got it (sold it now) and it has a special character, but can't keep up with the FD02 and EX800.

thanks pretty descriptive comparison. have you tried the ex800st with the tape mod? did that change your opinions?

fd02 seems like a solid winner .without the mod is the highs too harsh?

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #198 of 428
Interesting...thanks!
I have the N3 and I'm using it and like it more and more in balanced mode.
My feeling about FD02 was that it could be too bright and fatiguing, with potentially aggressive highs but that's just from what I've read.

thanks pretty descriptive comparison. have you tried the ex800st with the tape mod? did that change your opinions?

fd02 seems like a solid winner .without the mod is the highs too harsh?

When I first listened to the FD02 I also found them to be quite bright, not in the treble but rather in the mids/upper mids.
It is actually still a very refined sound, but there is so much energy in the upper midrange that it is potentially fatiguing and picky with regard to the kind of music you can listen to. After the MP tape mod (or James444’s alcohol pad mod) the sound becomes very balanced with slightly elevated mids, really good bass and clear and extended but smooth treble. Doing a frequency sweep to listen for subjective peaks in the response I get very well controlled peaks at 4kHz, 7,5kHz and 11kHz with no big dips in between and maybe another peak close to 15kHz, at least I hear a little more than with other IEMs at that point.
Actually a very controlled and extended treble IMO.
The N3 has a bit more bass focus from what I remember, the modded FD02 sounds more neutral to me, all frequency ranges are equal partners.
Of course, when you switch directly it may seem a little bright, but I have no issue switching from EX800 to FD02, the brain adapts in seconds to the difference.

About the EX800 tape mod: Yes, I tried putting some micropore tape over the vent. Wow, they produce some serious bass like that, and still clean and textured. But that’s too much for me, I stick to the stock tuning!

Apr 1, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #199 of 428
When I first listened to the FD02 I also found them to be quite bright, not in the treble but rather in the mids/upper mids.
It is actually still a very refined sound, but there is so much energy in the upper midrange that it is potentially fatiguing and picky with regard to the kind of music you can listen to. After the MP tape mod (or James444’s alcohol pad mod) the sound becomes very balanced with slightly elevated mids, really good bass and clear and extended but smooth treble. Doing a frequency sweep to listen for subjective peaks in the response I get very well controlled peaks at 4kHz, 7,5kHz and 11kHz with no big dips in between and maybe another peak close to 15kHz, at least I hear a little more than with other IEMs at that point.
Actually a very controlled and extended treble IMO.
The N3 has a bit more bass focus from what I remember, the modded FD02 sounds more neutral to me, all frequency ranges are equal partners.
Of course, when you switch directly it may seem a little bright, but I have no issue switching from EX800 to FD02, the brain adapts in seconds to the difference.

About the EX800 tape mod: Yes, I tried putting some micropore tape over the vent. Wow, they produce some serious bass like that, and still clean and textured. But that’s too much for me, I stick to the stock tuning!

thanks again. I'm very curious with the fd02 now . ill do more research

Apr 2, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #200 of 428
thanks again. I'm very curious with the fd02 now . ill do more research

Google for “jvc ha-fd01 contender” and it will lead you to the dark forum that must not be named :beyersmile:
That was the information that got me interested. I wanted to get the FD01 originally and was concerned about giving up sound quality with the FD02, but some offline discussions pushed me towards the 02. Originally I planned to use the ’s alco-pad mod described in that thread, but for now the micropore mod seems to work equally well.

Apr 2, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #201 of 428
Reading those last messages it seems that it is not worth buying the FD01 existing the FD02 ... I am thinking about acquiring a new IEM to accompany my iSINE 10.

Apr 2, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #202 of 428
Google for “jvc ha-fd01 contender” and it will lead you to the dark forum that must not be named :beyersmile:
That was the information that got me interested. I wanted to get the FD01 originally and was concerned about giving up sound quality with the FD02, but some offline discussions pushed me towards the 02. Originally I planned to use the ’s alco-pad mod described in that thread, but for now the micropore mod seems to work equally well.
haha okay thanks . will do

Apr 2, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #203 of 428
Reading those last messages it seems that it is not worth buying the FD01 existing the FD02 ... I am thinking about acquiring a new IEM to accompany my iSINE 10.

The one person who can answer that with most authority would be @james444
I can quote him that he recommends the FD01 if you are planning to use the alco-pad mod, since it's easy to do with the interchangeable nozzles.
Soundwise it seems to be close, and not clear which one is better. Personally I consider the FD02 the better value at more than 40% lower price than the FD01.

Apr 2, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #204 of 428
The one person who can answer that with most authority would be @james444
I can quote him that he recommends the FD01 if you are planning to use the alco-pad mod, since it's easy to do with the interchangeable nozzles.
Soundwise it seems to be close, and not clear which one is better. Personally I consider the FD02 the better value at more than 40% lower price than the FD01.

Agreed! If you don't need different nozzles to implement DIY-filters for different sound signatures, the FD02 seem to be better value.

@surfgeorge: your measurement for the micropore-modded FD02 looks excellent and not far off the FD01 signature with alco-pad mod.

Apr 3, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #205 of 428
Thanks for all the comments, specially from @james444 and @surfgeorge, that have finished convincing me that I NEED a new IEM. I just ordered a pair of FD-02. Will use with a Sony WM1A dap to hear, mainly classic jazz, IDM, progressive rock and some 80's stuff

Apr 3, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #206 of 428
Thanks for all the comments, specially from @james444 and @surfgeorge, that have finished convincing me that I NEED a new IEM. I just ordered a pair of FD-02. Will use with a Sony WM1A dap to hear, mainly classic jazz, IDM, progressive rock and some 80's stuff

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Also get a roll of 3M Micropore tape for the mods! IMO they need and deserve the mod to fully show their potential, and it's so easy to do that there's really no downside to it.
I hope you'll report about your experiences and impressions!

Apr 3, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #207 of 428
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Also get a roll of 3M Micropore tape for the mods! IMO they need and deserve the mod to fully show their potential, and it's so easy to do that there's really no downside to it.
I hope you'll report about your experiences and impressions!

Yes, I'll buy the 3M Micropore tape. Don't worry, I'll give you my first impressions as soon as I receive them. By the way, how many hours of burning are necessary? I'm very happy with the iSINE 10 (they have relegated the Beyerdyamic DT1990 to a drawer), which I bought only three months ago, but I wanted to hear a different profile of iem, detailed and that it was closed.

Have a nice day!

Apr 3, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #208 of 428
Yes, I'll buy the 3M Micropore tape. Don't worry, I'll give you my first impressions as soon as I receive them. By the way, how many hours of burning are necessary? I'm very happy with the iSINE 10 (they have relegated the Beyerdyamic DT1990 to a drawer), which I bought only three months ago, but I wanted to hear a different profile of iem, detailed and that it was closed.

Have a nice day!
Great! Looking forward to it!
It seems as if the FD02 doesn't show any burn in effects, or at least nothing I am aware of.
Have a nice day too!

Apr 3, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #209 of 428
Great! Looking forward to it!
It seems as if the FD02 doesn't show any burn in effects, or at least nothing I am aware of.
Have a nice day too!

Burning in is stupid myth - because in this myth they get always afterwards better.
When burnin really works it would be measurable and it could also get worse.
It is definitely brain adaption that works...

Apr 3, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #210 of 428
read all the pages in the dark site as rec'd
leaning towards the ex800st because i do like neutral with clean bass emphasis.

without the mod .is the upper frequency honky or nasal or thin? or if it just really bright with a lot of sibilance?

all the discussions i read sounds a lot like the sound signature of the akg k3003

Users who are viewing this thread

Back