JVC HA-FD01 Class S Solidege
Apr 7, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #226 of 428
Apr 8, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #227 of 428
Well, after only three hours of listening the JVC FD02, I will share my initial impressions: an amazing bass, clean and full body that does not crush the rest of frequencies; an amazing level of detail, to the point of listening to the breathing of a musician. Very decent soundstage, almost as good as the Isine's. The spiral dots cause me some itching after an hour, but it spends a few minutes resting (I had suffered it before with this type of tips). Tonight I will try to test them with some jazz and rock records that I know by heart. Basically, I've been listening to electronic (Autechre, Boards of Canada, Ochre, ...) and a bit of jazz, and I've seen that they behave better with electronic, although I need to keep doing tests. The cable could be better, really. I'm waiting for a balanced MMCX, since the one that I have has two pins. The cover that includes if it is very practical.

Maybe the iSINE10 is a more fun and versatile headset, but these JVC has more and better bass and more precise and detailed, to the point of causing me some hearing fatigue. Is the mod supposed to be designed to mitigate it? Maybe I just need to accustom my brain to a new sound profile... In short, I'm very happy with this new purchase

Apr 8, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #228 of 428
Just a question...no L/R indicators on the capsules, so it doesn't matter where you connect the ends of the cable, does it?

Apr 8, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #229 of 428
Well, after only three hours of listening the JVC FD02, I will share my initial impressions: an amazing bass, clean and full body that does not crush the rest of frequencies; an amazing level of detail, to the point of listening to the breathing of a musician. Very decent soundstage, almost as good as the Isine's. The spiral dots cause me some itching after an hour, but it spends a few minutes resting (I had suffered it before with this type of tips). Tonight I will try to test them with some jazz and rock records that I know by heart. Basically, I've been listening to electronic (Autechre, Boards of Canada, Ochre, ...) and a bit of jazz, and I've seen that they behave better with electronic, although I need to keep doing tests. The cable could be better, really. I'm waiting for a balanced MMCX, since the one that I have has two pins. The cover that includes if it is very practical.

Maybe the iSINE10 is a more fun and versatile headset, but these JVC has more and better bass and more precise and detailed, to the point of causing me some hearing fatigue. Is the mod supposed to be designed to mitigate it? Maybe I just need to accustom my brain to a new sound profile... In short, I'm very happy with this new purchase

Good to read your first impressions and even better to hear that you like them!
In fact I also started to realize today what amazing bass they can produce - somewhere between thumping clean and almost too much at higher volumes.

I realized that when I describe the EX800 and the FD02 I make it sound as if the EX800 is better, and my brain tells me they are clearer, but at the same time I keep reaching for the FD02 - I simply prefer them. They pull me into the music, make my toes tap and give me goosebumps with their incredibly refined, smooth sound. I listened to music during work today and had to stop because it was too distracting. Found some awesome new tracks:
https://tidal.com/track/12359468
https://tidal.com/track/8755973
https://tidal.com/track/3083919

@Mal Waldron
I understand you being a bit overwhelmed by the bass - I didn’t realize myself how much they can pump out, because with acoustic tracks the bass is just perfect, but if the track has a strong base like the first 2 of my linked songs, it really is surprisingly strong, but without bleed.

Regarding the soundstage, the standard cable is really a bottleneck here and they get really good with the Nobunaga Yuuzen.

The mod is to tame the strong emphasis on upper mids, that actually tilts the balance towards more bass. With bass heavy music I suppose the mod might not be needed at all. For acoustic music and voices I think it provides the perfect balance. Also sounds close to my really good stereo system, except sub-bass where the FD02 easily outclasses the 2-way custom speakers.

To your last point about the R/L orientation: since you can rotate the nozzle to any desired position there is no difference between the 2 ear pieces!

Looking forward to more impressions!
Happy listening! :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #230 of 428
Thank you very much @surfgeorge for your words. I'll keep sharing my impressions Have a good night!

Apr 9, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #233 of 428

I think I misinterpreted your question - I thought you were referring to the bass causing hearing fatigue, but upon reading it again I figured out that you are instead talking about the "precise and detailed" causing you fatigue.
That's exactly what the mod is about - it reduces the intensity of the high mids frequencies! The detail is still there, but it becomes silky smooth.

Stick the MP tape on, slightly stretch the it over the nozzle to keep it nice and flat. Then trim the excess with some sharp nail-scissors to about 5mm around the nozzle, cut it several times around, and then bend the single parts down.
Putting on the tip works best starting from the gap side, that way I had the best results keeping the tape tight and flat.
The gap should be the size as shown in the first post, or slightly larger. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jvc-ha-fd01-class-s-solidege.868414/page-13#post-14870966

Apr 9, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #234 of 428
Apr 9, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #235 of 428
u already have fw01, i believe buying the fd01 will make a fine addition. If you choosing between the two i can only suggest to see your prwferred music taste. If your playlist leans heavily into pop. Hiphop.edm. dance music then fw01. If your playlist genre is very wide, then fd01. I am not a seasoned reviewer at all, neither do i have the best supporting gear or files so i can't describe what i hear in very technical terms. This is just my suggestion. I am enjoying linkin park as i type, and just minutes ago r3hab and samsmith on my fd01. Very Imppresiv

Apr 9, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #237 of 428
Support appreciated. + like)

Now moving on to tip selection.

Would like so much info on spin fit symbio and new spiral dot+ stock or new released ++

Thanks

I can only report on the Spiral Dots which were included with the FD02 - they fit me perfectly so I had no reason to even try the MandarinEs, and I have them at home too.
Maybe I should give the SpinFits a try as they are really comfortable. But the Spiral dots provide good and comfortable fit for me, so I didn't feel the need yet.

Apr 9, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #238 of 428
I can only report on the Spiral Dots which were included with the FD02 - they fit me perfectly so I had no reason to even try the MandarinEs, and I have them at home too.
Maybe I should give the SpinFits a try as they are really comfortable. But the Spiral dots provide good and comfortable fit for me, so I didn't feel the need yet.
Yes, because fd tips are upgraded silicon from my fw. Hope you find time, for me and do comparison. Maybe it will ease my mind of which tips to obtain.

My fw tips ( they are not spiral dot+ for some reasons ) are..nothing good.

Apr 9, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #240 of 428
If you have Tidal - check out these songs.
Tidal lossles - Mojo - FD02 ... Wow...

"Jazz Variants" by O-Zone Percussion Group (speed, PRAT, shimmering, sparkling treble, and a thunderous kickbass)
"Zebra" by Bjorn Berge (Major foot-tapping potential! Fun and engaging)
"My Bass" by Brian Bromberg
"A Monster Like Me" by Morland, Debrah Scarlett (Gives me goose bumps and goes really under my skin, especially the beginning)
"God Moves on the Water" by Chris Jones

And @WhatToChoose - So far I am actually getting more impressed as I am spending more time with the FD02.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back