JVC "flats" HA S150 BN headphones, another low end price review.
Jun 24, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #47 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by DTKZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Picked up a pair based on the comments on the thread. These are indeed a nice pair of headphones. It has nice bass punch, but lack the usual muddiness you'd expect for the price.

swaffleman, which Bose ear pads are you using? They sound like something I'd like to try out with these.

Sorry about my delay in response...I've been busy lately.

Anyway, I use the ear pads for the bose on ear headphones. They are slightly larger than the stock earpads that come on the JVC flats, but I did some rigging and they worked just fine after that.

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #48 of 104
Wow! It's nice to see my thread got so many positive responses for these headphones.

Well, I've been using them nonstop since I made this thread. They are my main pair of headphones now. I really enjoy their sound quality and level of detail. I did notice a few issues with the rattling sound at first, but that issue disappeared a while ago. I think it may just be a burn in thing? Who knows. But there is no rattling at all now. The build quality has held up, and I use them when I run almost every day. Not a scratch or loose part or anything.

But yes, JVC has produced a winner with these babys. They far outdo many other headphones that are priced much higher.

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #49 of 104
Also, I have to say that my experience with these headphones and isolation is different than what I've been reading. Even with the stock ear pads they blocked out nearly around 50% of the ambient noise. When I'm running at a park here where there are dozens of people, I only have to have the volume up maybe 70%, and at that level I can't hear anything that is going on around me.

They do almost as good a job as some sony noise cancelling that I got a while ago, and they aren't noise cancelling whatsoever.

Jun 28, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #50 of 104
Some days ago i've seen this at a local store on 20% discount at 15,90. I've searched here and found this thread. So I decided to pull the trigger.

I expected something good after reading all this posts, but now I'm really impressed. The S-150 in my opinion is sonically in the range of k518 and hd205. But in many ways I prefer JVC to both, being less downtuned than AKG and with better overall balance than the SENN and costing much less. The comfort is superb and isolation for me is more than good. The most impressive thing is how deep and well controlled is the bass and we're talking about a 19,99 headphone after all.

The sound is crazy punchy, but not fatiguing at all, the mids have a nice impact. At first, highs are present and clean, even if not very extended and voices don't really stands out, but some burn in helps. Highly reccomended, not only if you're on a budget.

Cheers
JK

Jul 11, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #51 of 104
Bought these from my local Future Shop (20$ tho). I was looking for something cheap that sounds good and that lets me hear the phone or the door ring when working on the computer at home.

I was not expecting much, but I definitely wanted something that sounds better than my PX100 (not as dark) and these JVCs delivers.

Nothing to really complain about.

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #52 of 104
My S150 sounded pretty bad until I modded it. This was from 3 different sources, a cheap receiver, sound card, and HotAudio Mark IV DAC. Here's a pic before modding.

160bdld.jpg

First I tried taking the back off, but could not. I pried on both sides and had it part way open, but it would not pop open.

Then I took the pads off and stuck a piece of felt above and below the driver. That opened up the sound to where it sounded good and I could tell it was a JVC. I also own the RX900.

However, I was hearing too much sibilance and female voices sounded compressed and not right. So I took the pads off, but I couldn't get the plastic disc off that covers the driver. I thought of modifying the holes like with the KSC75 mod.

And so I bent the center of this plastic disc with a glasses screw driver (pictured). I stuck it into each of the larger holes and pried / bent the center of this disc so it sticks out a little, maybe 1mm. I pried each hole once and then circled around doing this two more times. You just have to be very careful not to poke the driver that's under this disc.

This mod brought the over all tone down a little and corrected the highs. Sounds better to me.

I suspect my S150 did not sound right to begin with because the pads did not have enough space between them and the plastic underneath. So I would recommend this felt mod if your S150 does not sound right. And I would recommend the prying mod if you have an issue with the highs and don't mind deforming plastic at the risk of destroying a driver.

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #53 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My S150 sounded pretty bad until I modded it. This was from 3 different sources, a cheap receiver, sound card, and HotAudio Mark IV DAC. Here's a pic before modding.

160bdld.jpg

First I tried taking the back off, but could not. I pried on both sides and had it part way open, but it would not pop open.

You were halfway there,give the back a little twist. There is a thin column of plastic connecting the back to the front,it will break easily. Have some crazy glue ready to repair the column. I added a piece of stuff

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #54 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You were halfway there,give the back a little twist. There is a thin column of plastic connecting the back to the front,it will break easily. Have some crazy glue ready to repair the column. I added a piece of stuff

OK, but toward what end should I do this? It's in part due to my not getting the back of the ear cup off that I succeeded with the other two mods.

Jul 13, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #55 of 104
These are great little Frankenphone projects. ITS ALIVE! No really, picked 'em up at our local Sam Walton (Wal-Mart) for under $20- saw them while I was there, remember reading this thread, decided they'd be a good project. What a deal.

Watch them now go up to $40 because of this thread- hahaha.

Spencer D.

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #56 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, but toward what end should I do this? It's in part due to my not getting the back of the ear cup off that I succeeded with the other two mods.

It dosnt matter. The column is dead center. If,you use a small screwdriver and lift the back alittle you will see the column. Im not sure but I think I took picture,if I find my I post them

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #57 of 104
From reading this thread, I get the feeling that these headphones are comparable to the KSC75s and the PX100s. It seems to me that people are writing that KSC75>PX100>JVC "flats" HA S150 BN. I have a pair of KSC75s, I am thinking of getting some JVC flats and doing a comparison. What do you guys think?

Jul 13, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #58 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashkii21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From reading this thread, I get the feeling that these headphones are comparable to the KSC75s and the PX100s. It seems to me that people are writing that KSC75>PX100>JVC "flats" HA S150 BN. I have a pair of KSC75s, I am thinking of getting some JVC flats and doing a comparison. What do you guys think?

Been done. Check the link in my sig.

The Flats are indeed competitive with the PX100/KSC75 in price/performance, but I consider their sound different enough to warrant keeping all three. The flats have their uses - they are pretty durable and tossable, and the penny price makes them disposable. They are still my primary headphones at work.

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #60 of 104
Oh my I guess I need to let them burn in some.

I picked up a pair of flats many many months ago at a Biglots for 10 bucks to give to my 10 year old since he is still pretty rough on his stuff.

All the praise I am seeing here IMO is horse puckey to what I experienced listening to these. They sounded like garbage. With that being said...It is my opinion based on a quick listen to a couple of tracks. I will see where he has put the phones and burn them for a good bit and listen again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back