JVC DX1000 vs. Denon D7000: a mini-review
Mar 8, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #62 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how much the d7000 benefits from the markl mod?

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
smile.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #63 of 141
DX 1000, D7000 stock, HD 800, HD 650/HD 600 that´s about it for me until Ultrasone releases an open PRO 900 or something
smily_headphones1.gif
Most of those headphones I wouldn´t consider to buy unless they truly are something spectacular. None of the closed one really since there isn´t much that can be approved with what I already have can´t possibly be worth the cost.

But yes it´s awesome with the Denons gaining popularity may encourage more developers to make closed headphones... Come on sennheiser. AKG at least have some offerings in the hi fi market.

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #65 of 141
Well my views after recently acquiring one... Yes 650 is not really a contender so far. And I like it A LOT better then the markl D5000. It is even going head to head against the PRO 900 which is the benchmark for me so far. First one that I feel does some things better really but other things less good of course. Mostly listening to classical music and opera at the moment which is what suits the DX 1000 the best so far. Lots of emotion here which I like. Eelcome warmth and body and very musical. Can be a bit much for other genres though but it responds well to amp switching. Soundstaging is great though I don´t get as much out of the head experiences as with the 900. I guess everything is relative but they let me forget wearing headphones anyway. Comfort is even better than the D5000 or PRO 900. No pressure yet still stays quite firmly in place. I know some will not share that experience though.

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #66 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe some time in the future I can send you mine (like new) for comparison. If you like it, you can keep it, if you send me the money to get a new one (as you know, we can order the DX1000 at about 500,- Euro).

Otherwise, you can simply send it back...

I am heading to Milan, Venice and Florence in May for conference. Would any kind soul advise me on how/where to acquire a DX1000 in Italy for 500 Euro, if that is possible? Pls PM me if more appropriate, thanks!

Apr 23, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #67 of 141
This thread is definitely helpful for me as someone who is still on the fence with these two hi-end closed phones.

Midrange is very important to me. As someone who is coming from a modified and recabled D2000 (soon woodied I hope) and value midrange a lot, which of these cans would b the best suited for me?

Jun 18, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #69 of 141
I read more about the JVC/VICTOR DX1000 and found many satisfied owners. Based on these I got a pair from Japan and have spent some time listening to music through them.

Patience is a virtue I believe, and many things settled with time. There was quite a difference in presentation of music knowing the K701. It takes time to adjust and relax enough to enjoy the music. Funny how the brain sets its acceptable benchmarks and then restrains us from relaxing with new presentations, I guess its like the first time making love to a new girl after having trusted another for so long.

Luckily the DX1000 has many virtues to charm the senses and sattisfy the needs. It was soon pleasing to sit back and let the effortless low notes roll over my soul. Music with foundations so strong and solid makes it easy to close the eyes and just listen.

And the wind beneath its wings ? to make it soar and paralize me with its beauty !
Hybrid wind with ancient fireflies in small glass bubbles. Can you guess?

Thanks to all for sharing.

Dappled shade.

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #70 of 141
K701 to DX 1000 that is about as big of a change in presentation you can get. Also they do sound crap the first hours as many other headphones so that won´t help either
smily_headphones1.gif

Think it´s quite cool though that despite both being so strange they both excell with classical. Though you can´t listen to piano with the DX 1000 but otherwise.

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #71 of 141
looking at the frequency curve, it looks like the D7000 will be overwhelming with bass while playing d&b. it's about the whole presentation and this music is often > 160bpm. is the DX1000 bass a bit deeper but less forward and punching? a low bass hump is not what i want as it could quickly get fatiguing, i will put up with the sound being slightly slower, and the tilted treble of the DX1000 could be good for hi-hats.

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #72 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by reptillian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looking at the frequency curve, it looks like the D7000 will be overwhelming with bass while playing d&b. it's about the whole presentation and this music is often > 160bpm. is the DX1000 bass a bit deeper but less forward and punching? a low bass hump is not what i want as it could quickly get fatiguing, i will put up with the sound being slightly slower, and the tilted treble of the DX1000 could be good for hi-hats.

If anything, the dx1000 has more midbass than the denons. I think the denons are better for electronic music because of the honky colored midrange of the dx1000.

Aug 11, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #73 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundinista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rob, yes, the bass... I’m afraid that’ll be the deal-breaker for me as regards the HD800. Once you’ve experienced the deep bass offered by both the DX1000 and the D7000, there’s no turning back. (Those who’ve praised the HD650 in that regard may not know the state of the art.) To my mind, it’s impossible to overrate the importance of deep bass in our enjoyment of music and movie soundtracks. But many headphiles still have no idea what a “clean” 30Hz sounds like and how much of the drama and scale of the material depend on it, isn’t that right? BTW, some time ago, I reported on a bass shoot-out between the D5000 and the DX1000. I subjectively called it a tie. Skylab measured them and found a 1dB advantage for the D5000. That’s the bar for the HD800 as far as I’m concerned. And there’s ample evidence that some well-known audio writers (for Stereophile, TAS, and others) don’t know where the bar is as regards deep bass in headphones. We’ve been badly misled.

Cheers,

Wow, that's specifically how I feel! I'm glad someone could put it into words better then me.

ONE thing though.
Denon D7000 Deconstructed
What is with their review? Is goes completely against what everyone is saying about the phones, how their a step-up from the 2K 5K phones. How the difference is barely worth it. I don't know how to feel about what their saying, any opinions?

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #74 of 141
It is an advertisement on their website to sell their product. You shouldn't think about it at all.

Can anyone tell me a song that makes this mid range "honkiness" stand out? I swap back and forth between my K1000 and Dx1000 all the time and I really don't notice it. I enjoy both cans very much.

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #75 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anything, the dx1000 has more midbass than the denons. I think the denons are better for electronic music because of the honky colored midrange of the dx1000.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "honky colored midrange"? The DX1000's sound like excellent closed headphones that manage to marry the bass and PraT of the Denons with better soundstaging and (perhaps) better build quality, but I've read this comment about their mids a few times and it worries me. Natural midrange is crucial, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back