just purchased a pair of D7000 on amazon for an amazing deal
Dec 17, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #31 of 78
After few week, I found definitely LCD2 is way better headphone than my Denon D7K, but then again it's a closed headphone and got it for $620 brand new, I don't complain. :)

Dec 17, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #32 of 78
After few week, I found definitely LCD2 is way better headphone than my Denon D7K, but then again it's a closed headphone and got it for $620 brand new, I don't complain. :)

Don't forget the 'IMO'.

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #33 of 78
i've demoed the d7000 before. It was brief but i loved the sound.

Hmmm so I've noticed the D7000 are sibilant as well, just not to the level of the Pro 900. I guess I'm just a Sennheiser head. HD600 are still my fav. I'm a little disappointed so far considering the price premium for these cans. They do things well but I'm just not blown away by them like I wanted to be.

:confused_face_2:

Let me clarify to avoid confusion. When I originally demoed them it was only for a few minutes and I did love the sound signature. Upon actually owning them and doing hours of critical listening I've just picked up nuances about their signature. After doing some A/B comparisons with my HD600 I've learned to appreciate and enjoy their sound. I enjoy them more than the Pro 900 as they are more well rounded. They handle more genres better and I have really adapted to their sound. I am no longer disappointed :)

Dec 18, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #34 of 78
so just for giggles I plugged these directly up to my laptop. no amp, no dac, no nothing. man did these sound horrible lmao. not doing that again. i can see how if someone didn't have some external equipment they would want to return these lol. not me.. they are here to stay :)

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #35 of 78
Try plugging them into 150$ professional audio equipment, you will wonder what all the amp talk is about anyway.

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #36 of 78
enjoy!

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #38 of 78
Dec 19, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #39 of 78

Quote:
Don't forget the 'IMO'.

x2!

Owner of one (D7000), user of both (LCD-2 & D7000). 
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #41 of 78

Quote:
I saw this thread right after you posted it. I'm picking up the Denon D5000's soon, and you almost made me plunge for the D7000's for about $130 more. It took all the self-control I had to keep from buying them. :p

Congrats mate, enjoy your cans!

It's never too late! You should reconsider and go for the D7000 with different drivers. What I can tell you about my own D5000's is that between hours 1,200-1,500 they began to sweeten. And I thought they were done cookin'! 
biggrin.gif
 Between hours 1,500-2,000 the D5000's got creamy; didn't resemble their former selves at all.

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #42 of 78
I find the D7000 to sound good out of anything, amped or not.

To those going for the D5000, if the D7000 is within your budget, why not go straight to the top? I know if I went for the D5000, I'd always be wondering about the D7000. XD

Dec 19, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #43 of 78
I recently borrowed a pair of D7000s for a weekend, which were about a year old and well-broken in.  In the end, I found that I preferred the D5000s, overall.  They seemed to be a better all-purpose headphones to me.  I don't understand exactly how people are hearing such a muddy bass quality with D5000s, unless they are connecting them straight to an mp3 player.   If anyone has a good song to use as a reference to judge the difference between the D5000 and D7000 with regards to a muddy bass, please let me know, as I am certain that I can borrow the D7000 again to test.  Perhaps the puffy JMoney ear pads have acted to decrease this muddiness a bit?

With the following setup, I honestly felt that the D5000 provided the more enjoyable listening experience. 

FLAC or 320 kbps Ogg Vorbis/mp3's => PC or Squeezebox Touch (Toslink out) => NuForce Icon HDP as DAC/preamp (RCA) with NuForce LPS-1 linear power supply => Schiit Asgard => D5000 with 1st generation JMoney lambskin ear pads

I listen to many different genres, but the songs that get me moving are usualy a bit funky with plenty of bass.  For me, it came down to the bass impact that I enjoy with the D5000, which was an amazing revelation after leaving a pair of Sennheisser HD-595's in a quest for bass I could feel.  The D7000 is leagues ahead of my HD-595 or Grado SR-80i when it comes to bass quantity, but it left me with a feeling of wanting a bit more on several tracks that I really enjoy. (example: Skynet - Tardis 'Sentient Album')  Also with the D7000, I noticed that the high-hat strikes and other cymbals sounded crisper, like a singer over-exaggerating their consonants.  Not harsh, by any means, but this was the biggest difference that I noticed between the D7000 and the D5000.  The highs seem to roll off a bit more with the D5000, and I think I personally find that to my liking when listening to several songs where this difference was obvious.

I'm sure a big reason for my preference is that I have chosen songs that I really love with the D5000, as I have been listening to music through them for over a year, and trying to listen to those same songs with a slightly different sound signature is probably not going to immediately make me change my mind.  I bet that if I were to listen to music for a month with the D7000 and pick a handful of my favorites, they might not sound as good to my ears listening to these with the D5000.

From memory, I did enjoy songs from The Guess Who, Eric Claption, Paul Simon, and Traffic a little better with the D7000, but I really preferred stuff from Bassnectar, Karsh Kale, and newer genres on the D5000s.  It came down to the fact that I could more easily live with the compromises in sound quality where the D5000 was inferior to what I perceived to be the weaker characteristics of the D7000.    

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #44 of 78
I ordered these from Amazon used "new in open box" from the Electronics Expo as well. Paid 585.00 + 10.00 shipping as these were from an authorized dealer. I'm wondering if I can still get a manufacturer's warranty if I register them. Is that how Denon works?

Also, I am planning on eventually getting the Fiio E7 for this headphone. Will that be good enough for someone who is most DEFINITELY not used to audiophile headphones?

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #45 of 78
Crap, I've been mulling over these vs the 5000s all day, also pulled the trigger on the open box from electronics expo, although probably after you did. Hope they have more that 1 pair :frowning2: if not I will got for the open box D5000 for $400 :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back