Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jul 23, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #10,322 of 11,345
Quote:
Looks like the drivers are being pushed beyond their mechanical limits.

It could be, but not necessarily. It can also be the DAC/Amp or even just the T50RP better revealing clipping in the recording itself. It could even be due to quality control/variance in each T50RP.

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #10,323 of 11,345
I hate to barge into a thread, but would anyone happen to have a spare T50RP cup they'd like to sell me? I kind of...melted mine when trying to strip paint.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #10,324 of 11,345
Quote:
I hate to barge into a thread, but would anyone happen to have a spare T50RP cup they'd like to sell me? I kind of...melted mine when trying to strip paint.

^ Sent you a pm

edit: or if anybody in Canada needs cups or spare T50rp parts, shoot me a message

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #10,325 of 11,345
Quote:

We have them around.  Anyone who needs them can PM me.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 3, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #10,326 of 11,345
Does anyone know how the Beyerdynamic T70 (250-Ohm) compares to the Fostex T50-RP (regular & Maddog)?
From my understanding a high impedance headphone jack does not have a negative effect on the T50RPs audio quality?
So plugging the T50RPs into a A/V receiver should work just as well as a high impedance headphone would?

Aug 4, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #10,327 of 11,345
Quote:
Does anyone know how the Beyerdynamic T70 (250-Ohm) compares to the Fostex T50-RP (regular & Maddog)?
From my understanding a high impedance headphone jack does not have a negative effect on the T50RPs audio quality?
So plugging the T50RPs into a A/V receiver should work just as well as a high impedance headphone would?

I'm not really sure how this works, but I think it depends on the design of the amp. My vintage Sansui 5000A receiver's HPO has an output impedance of 680ohms, I think. Something high like that. The Mad Dog sounds great out of it! I'm not sure if it's because it's an ortho, if it's because the Mad Dog has a flat impedance curve, if it has something to do with the way the vintage receiver is designed, or if it's something else (or a mixture of reasons). That's not my area of knowledge, so that's the best answer I can give. If I remember correctly from my research, it's most likely due to the MD's flat impedance curve and the way some amps/receivers are designed to handle the HPO (even with high output impedance).

I haven't heard the T70, but I have seen measurements from Tyll (Innerfidelity) and purrin. From those alone, I'd argue the Mad Dog is a better headphone from a neutrality standpoint. The stock T50RP can be OK, but it really needs mods. I'd still go with a modded T50RP over the T70. Based on the measurements of the T70, I'm seeing dips in the FR around 200Hz and 3KHz, but those aren't the real problem. They're not too huge. The real problem would be an apparent treble spike (and it's quite large) in the 6-11KHz range accompanied with some ringing around 4KHz and 7KHz.

You should get a flatter, smoother, and cleaner sound from the Mad Dog or any other properly modded T50RP.

Now, I can't answer whether or not YOU would prefer the T70, nor can I say that measurements will directly map to what you hear in a product.

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #10,328 of 11,345
I want to share my FINAL completed setup for the bedroom. After many headphones and much modifications, this is it. The T50RPs sounded very good after I did the DBV3 mods with the HM5 pads, so good that I took some FA-003 Ti s as a part trade for my HD600s as they were not getting used anymore at all. But when I saw those Fischer Audio velour pads in the box - I had to use them. Here are some problems (and the solutions) that the pads gave me (all without opening the headphones up again):

1. The mids are brighter and noticeably clearer, everything sounds amazing, BUT less bass. The solution(s): I had them a little too bassy to start with, not neutral, so that helped. I also changed to a warmer, bassier source, and I changed the tubes in my amp to some punchier Russian Voshod 6J1P-EV tubes. lastly (this could be all in my head) I changed from the vModa cable back to stock cable as it sounded bassier to me.

2. Amazing soundstage, noticeably better, everything is perfectly positioned around me, BUT the vocals sounded a tad too distant. Solution, nothing, it took a few days and now it sounds natural to me. I got used to it pretty quickly. This is good because I didn't want to open them up AGAIN!

3. Sounds a little quieter than before, so I changed the gain in my amp from +4 to +5 so I don't have to crank the volume and all is well again.

I haven't been following the thread lately, sorry if these pads have already been discussed. They also help with clamping force, as I purchased the T50RPs used and they were loose on my head. I should mention they took some stretching by hand before I could put them on. They will not be coming off, and they will probably not fit my FA-003s anymore now.

Love these headphones!

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #10,332 of 11,345
A week ago I got a bigger amp for mine.... and what a difference it made.

Aug 11, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #10,333 of 11,345
I recently picked up a new set of T50RP headphones and tried them with the stock and Shure 840 ear pads. I was hoping the ear pads would be enough of an improvement I'd be happy with the sound. I wasn't. I like the monitor-like neutrality of my AKG K240 Studio phones but I just did not like the T50RPs at all so I decided to do some of the standard mods. I was pretty skeptical that simple mods would improve the sound quality of the T50RP.

I added a male 4-pin Mini XLR socket and wired the drivers for balanced operation. I built a cable using Canare Star Quad cable with a female 4-pin Mini XLR on one end and a male 4-pin full size XLR on the other and made an XLR to 3.5mm plug adapter for single ended ops. I filled the headphone baffles with generic modeling clay, lined the cups with self-adhesive felt (two layers where everyone puts the sound deadening material), covered the driver's central square with magazine paper held in place with one full length of spore tape and added 6 cotton balls per side.

All I can say is wow. It's pretty amazing what even my lazy man mods do to these headphones--and I'm using them with a single ended adapter cable so the sound improvement isn't from switching to balanced output (but a Schiit Mjolinir is on the way). Right now I'm using an Aune T1 DAC/AMP to drive the phones. I've been going back and forth between the T50RPs and the K240 Studios and I'm shocked to find I prefer the modded T50RPs.

Now to mod the K240s for balanced operation and make an XLR to banana plug adapter so I can try the headphones with my receivers' speaker outputs.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #10,334 of 11,345
Yea, the T50rp really does improve with very simple mods. Mine are modded pretty closely to yours actually, minus being balanced. I also used a piece of stiffened craft felt right behind the driver and I am using the Alpha pads. Another thing that can make a huge difference is tuning the bass venting. Covering the outside 4 semi-open slots with masking tape, then trying vents of varying sizes will really dial in the bass quantity and quality. I'd try sealing it completely, then start with a single hole the size of a needle and keep making the hole bigger until you get the desired effect. Right now I am using a single hole in each side the size of the tip of a ballpoint pen. Good bass speed with just the right amount of bass quantity and impact. Of course every single mod will vary depending on each and every other single mod, the possibilities are endless.    
Quote:
I recently picked up a new set of T50RP headphones and tried them with the stock and Shure 840 ear pads. I was hoping the ear pads would be enough of an improvement I'd be happy with the sound. I wasn't. I like the monitor-like neutrality of my AKG K240 Studio phones but I just did not like the T50RPs at all so I decided to do some of the standard mods. I was pretty skeptical that simple mods would improve the sound quality of the T50RP.

I added a male 4-pin Mini XLR socket and wired the drivers for balanced operation. I built a cable using Canare Star Quad cable with a female 4-pin Mini XLR on one end and a male 4-pin full size XLR on the other and made an XLR to 3.5mm plug adapter for single ended ops. I filled the headphone baffles with generic modeling clay, lined the cups with self-adhesive felt (two layers where everyone puts the sound deadening material), covered the driver's central square with magazine paper held in place with one full length of spore tape and added 6 cotton balls per side.

All I can say is wow. It's pretty amazing what even my lazy man mods do to these headphones--and I'm using them with a single ended adapter cable so the sound improvement isn't from switching to balanced output (but a Schiit Mjolinir is on the way). Right now I'm using an Aune T1 DAC/AMP to drive the phones. I've been going back and forth between the T50RPs and the K240 Studios and I'm shocked to find I prefer the modded T50RPs.

Now to mod the K240s for balanced operation and make an XLR to banana plug adapter so I can try the headphones with my receivers' speaker outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back