Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jul 17, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #10,306 of 11,345
I'm pretty sure I've read that people have melted the diaphragm before when trying to attach wires to the pads. I'm not exactly going to test it out myself 
size]

Any driver transplants that I've done, I've always left a bit of the original wire attached and just soldered to those. 

I mean, it's just a plastic after all. I'm very surprised that it didn't melt anything... or if it did, it was too small to be noticeable. 

Kapton my friends, kapton... used for space suits.

Jul 21, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #10,308 of 11,345
Quote:
Noob Question. Is it possible to add another driver inside the plastic housing? how would it affect its sound? 

It is possible, but it's entirely against common thought. General opinion is that the T50RP has great drivers that are limited by the stock plastic housing, not the other way around. While it is possible to make different drivers sound good in a T50RP housing, it's much easier to modify or completely change out the housing to make the stock drivers sing.

As towards how new drivers would affect the sound, it all depends on the driver you choose.

Finally, if you are asking about having more than one driver per ear (which is one way your question can be interpreted), I'd advise against it. Multi-driver headphones, while possible and occasionally produced, generally just end up sounding congested and are inferior to standard two-driver cans.

Jul 21, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #10,310 of 11,345
Quote:
For Science sake.. have anybody tried adding another driver inside the plastic housing behind the Ortho driver?

There is no space but I am curious why would you even consider this?   I can't think of any audio principal that would be addressed with stacked drivers in a headphone enclosure.  Subwoofers are the only application I am aware of (isobaric) where this makes sense...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #10,311 of 11,345
Quote:

There is no space but I am curious why would you even consider this?   I can't think of any audio principal that would be addressed with stacked drivers in a headphone enclosure.  Subwoofers are the only application I am aware of (isobaric) where this makes sense...

Have you ever had a listen to the legendary Linn Isobariks?

The principle would not hold up with the ribbon driver.

Perhaps he is thinking of a hybrid like the old AKG's
confused_face_2.gif

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #10,312 of 11,345
I'm planning to add a Male 4 Pin Mini XLR socket to my T50RP for a balanced cable and just want to confirm the pin numbers and layout. Here's the pinout of a Female 4 Pin Mini XLR socket:
http://robrobinette.com/images/Audio/4_Pin_Mini_XLR_Pinout.jpg
(I'm a new guy so I can't post pics yet)

I was planning to leave the standard 3.5mm connector in place for flexibility and solder the 4 new balanced wires to the 3.5mm jack inside the ear cup but after doing some research I realized the 3.5mm jack combines the two grounds which would cause a problem for the balanced line. I could possibly install a microswitch to disconnect the two grounds and switch between the single ended and balanced jacks but I'll probably just take the easy route and disconnect the 3.5mm jack and build 4 Pin Mini XLR single ended and balanced cables. I'm using balanced line in star quad format for the headphone cables pairing the quad's opposing conductors for each channel.

[size=large]I found 10 feet of CANARE L-4E6S STAR QUAD BALANCED MICROPHONE CABLE BULK 21 AWG 4 conductor cable for $11 on ebay. [/size] It has 2 blue wires and 2 white wires. I'll have to use a multi-meter to identify one of each color wire and mark it. I used the marked wire as the negative conductor.

Classic 4-pin XLR pinout (pin - signal - wire color):
1 - Left +     Blue
2 - Left -      Blue with mark
3 - Right +   White
4 - Right -    White with mark

Since it's a shielded cable I'm going to ground only the amp end of the shield to the connector barrel so the shield will provide interference protection and yet keep the signal lines balanced.

For the amp 4 Pin XLR connection I'm using HiFiMAN's diagram of the female full size 4 pin XLR connector:
http://robrobinette.com/images/Audio/HiFiMAN_Pin_Diagram.gif

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #10,317 of 11,345
The Fostex can indeed go very low in the bass but do need some power.  I listened to Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" last night and I heard some ultra low bass that I had never heard before in 30+ years of listening to that disc on high end equipment.

I have an iBasso D-10 but that doesn't have enought power.  I now have a Project Sunrise II and it has more than enough and matches wonderfully with the modified Fostex.

I have a DBV3 modified Fostex and I also have a pair that I modified dramatically by making burl maple cups.  I cannot make the woodies sound as good as the DBV3.  Keith has spent countless hour/days/weeks working on these headphones and I expect it would be very very hard to make them any better than the DBV3.

Just my 2 cents.

Jul 22, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #10,318 of 11,345
Quote:
Have you ever had a listen to the legendary Linn Isobariks?

The principle would not hold up with the ribbon driver.

Perhaps he is thinking of a hybrid like the old AKG's
confused_face_2.gif

Haven't heard the Linn Isobariks but I have designed 5 or 6 isobaric subs over the years, and to me it's the only way to go for low distortion.  But sadly it doesn't apply to planar drivers, and it's only relevant to bass frequencies.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 22, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #10,319 of 11,345
Quote:

Haven't heard the Linn Isobariks but I have designed 5 or 6 isobaric subs over the years, and to me it's the only way to go for low distortion.  But sadly it doesn't apply to planar drivers, and it's only relevant to bass frequencies.

Hence the second line in my post. I suspect the ribbon would be little more than an acoustic trampoline, loading the dynamic driver up past its limits.

To hear what an Isobarik can do in a full range speaker get out somewhere and have a listen to the Linn's. I'm not a fan of Linn at the best of times but those were worth a serious listen.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #10,320 of 11,345
Quote:
Just got my t50rp in. The cable had problems, no surprise there. Some deoxit fixed it (and I have a vmoda cable en route)

The more troubling issue is the rattle of the right side with bass... Should I get a replacement pair? *sigh*

i Thought i was the only one, jeez i wonder if i can get a free replacement pair for this bugged headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back