Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jun 16, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #10,216 of 11,345
Quote:

I've seen that a few times.  
etysmile.gif

Dan,

Based on all your time spent modding so many pairs of Fostex, have you seen evidence of sound quality being vastly different between different pairs of T50RPs?

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #10,217 of 11,345
In my experience, driver mismatch has a strong effect on the perception of sound quality. Possibly moreso than overall frequency response (within reason). 

Jun 16, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #10,218 of 11,345
Quote:
Dan,

Based on all your time spent modding so many pairs of Fostex, have you seen evidence of sound quality being vastly different between different pairs of T50RPs?

Yes.  We have a target sound/response, the majority of units are right there first pass, but some take quite a few passes to make the curve, and a some never do.  Channel mismatch isn't too common once you rule out the easily cleaned oxidation on the cables... 

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 16, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #10,219 of 11,345
Quote:
In my experience, driver mismatch has a strong effect on the perception of sound quality. Possibly moreso than overall frequency response (within reason). 

Yeah.  That's much harder to address than a phone that's more or less efficient than usual but otherwise has a similar response. 

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 16, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #10,220 of 11,345
Quote:
Hey there Speakers. Have you ever thought of creating a plug with two slots to insert resistors into? It would be a cheap enough item to create and being able to play with impedence would most likely prove irresistable to the community.
wink.gif

Maybe sometime... :)  Irresistorable is hard to resist.

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #10,222 of 11,345
hey guys i'm planning to get a pair of t50rp's and was wondering how should I mod it. My budget is only 200USD including the headphones so i'm getting them from ebay for about 140USD including shipping to my country Malaysia. So I have leeway of 60USD to do mods any suggestions?

Jun 21, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #10,223 of 11,345
The biggest (and most costly) change is slapping some Shure 840 pads on there. After that, cotton balls or other random stuff to put in the cups, but really the pads make the biggest difference. That mostly brings the bass balance up (as well as better comfort). The rest is mostly fine tuning. 

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #10,224 of 11,345
On top of that if you can get some audio dampening foam (paxmate) and some clay (plasticine) to stuff into the cups that will help as well.  I think out of all the modding materials excluding the pads the dynamat and the paxmate is going to be the most expensive.  You can get a small amount of dynamat though at a local car shop that puts speakers into cars.  other then that everything else is very cheap and easily found at a crafts store.  As for what mod to do.  If you have all the stuff just have some fun and try different ones out and see which one sounds the best to you.  Happy modding 
beyersmile.png

Jun 21, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #10,226 of 11,345
Jun 21, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #10,227 of 11,345
So uh.. I might be getting a job at a car upholstery place. Keep your eyes open for some custom pads by me.. I'm likely to make some headbands too :)

For me the next step in the modding process was always creating new pads. The Shure's are an improvement on stock.. but I feel they really hold the headphone back overall. Especially when it comes to the midrange.

My idea is a relatively flat pad, with no large open areas for the pads to "echo" and otherwise screw with the sound. Anybody know of any headphones that come with a pad like this? Picture a flat donut for an idea of what I'm thinking.. Or maybe even something kind of like a grado Bowl. Maybe I'll draw some pictures.

Jun 21, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #10,228 of 11,345
Flat donut?... random ones that come to mind: AKG K181, Pioneer HDJ-1500

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #10,229 of 11,345
I am thinking more like and Audeze pad?  Even though those are really angled.  But if they didn't have that angle they would be donut shapped. 
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back