Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Dec 14, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #9,721 of 11,345
Quote:
Well you *must* do it now...

Really?  
biggrin.gif
  If I'm going to the Air and Space museum, I'm not going to get some gas to seal into the headphones.  The SR-71 Blackbird is parked there, after all.  Hmm ....  If not that, then the space shuttle Discovery.  Hmm ...  

Actually, the aircraft are great to look at and they also have an Imax theater at the site, too.

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #9,722 of 11,345
Quote:
Also, I've secretly confessed outside of this forum that I was done with modifying my Fostex headphones.  So, what happens?  Today, I located two pair of the Denon JMoney pads from members of our forum here and made my purchase.  When will the madness stop?  The addiction is beyond reproach.

Well done! The Denon pads are great. I'm curious to hear your impressions of them once you get them.

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #9,723 of 11,345
Quote:

Really?  
biggrin.gif
  If I'm going to the Air and Space museum, I'm not going to get some gas to seal into the headphones.  The SR-71 Blackbird is parked there, after all.  Hmm ....  If not that, then the space shuttle Discovery.  Hmm ...  

Actually, the aircraft are great to look at and they also have an Imax theater at the site, too.

Though upon reflection, aerogel would make for lousy cup damping material since it doesn't particularly allow for air flow. Now building a baffle out of it... maybe 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 17, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #9,725 of 11,345
Does anyone know which of the Denon headphone cushions fits the T50RP? I am talking about the one that cushions the top of the head. I have seen it somewhere but I can't find it now.

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #9,726 of 11,345
im looking for some pads for my girlfriends t20rps, she is more interested in comfort vs sound quality/isolation. What are my choices? i really dont want to spend over $100 for stax pads but i also dont think shure 840 pads will cut it. she has very sensative ears and can not use headphones for long periods of time

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #9,727 of 11,345
Quote:
im looking for some pads for my girlfriends t20rps, she is more interested in comfort vs sound quality/isolation. What are my choices? i really dont want to spend over $100 for stax pads but i also dont think shure 840 pads will cut it. she has very sensative ears and can not use headphones for long periods of time

Here you go: http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc  ---- The price is for * one * so ensure you add two to the shopping cart if you're going to get a pair.  The pleather is quite soft - actually, really soft.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #9,728 of 11,345
I... think the shure pads probably would cut it personally, I don't really see why they wouldn't.

The one's wayne links are really extra squishy and soft, but you have to figure out a way to get them on (people don't seem all too successful putting them on without adding some elastic or leather band).

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #9,729 of 11,345
Thanks im going to go for the shure 840 pads for now

Im getting my t20rp this week and i want to mod them...there are so many listed mods  i dont know what to follow....
is this ok? or are there better choices/alternatives?

Shopping list :
Newplast plasticine £4
Dynamat £7
Akasa Paxmate £13
Shure 840 Pads £14
Total = £38 

Is this list outdated now? i mean im following a 2011 rastapants post that i found on the Fostex modificated summary wiki thread

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #9,730 of 11,345
Quote:

Im getting my t20rp this week and i want to mod them...there are so many listed mods  i dont know what to follow....

Shopping list :
Newplast plasticine £4
Dynamat £7
Akasa Paxmate £13
Shure 840 Pads £14
Total = £38 

Is this list outdated now? i mean im following a 2011 rastapants post that i found on the Fostex modificated summary wiki thread

There's also this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements
Which are the latest findings in terms of mods.

As for HM5 pads vs. 840 pads... hard to say. I did originally find the 840 pads to lack comfort, and largely liked the HM5 thereafter.
Not long after I realize the HM5 really wasn't so comfortable and my ears were constantly touching the drivers since the HM5 is too soft without enough thickness.
So I am back to the 840 pads and am comfortable with them. Odd isn't it.

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #9,731 of 11,345
Quote:
Well done! The Denon pads are great. I'm curious to hear your impressions of them once you get them.

Yes, I'll be sure to share some impressions.  Unfortunately, I'm in the U.S. and the items are coming from Europe and British Columbia, respectively.  So, the delivery will take a few weeks from the time of purchase to reach me.

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #9,732 of 11,345
Quote:

Shopping list :
Newplast plasticine £4
Dynamat £7
Akasa Paxmate £13
Shure 840 Pads £14
Total = £38 

Kalbee beat me with the link.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements

But, definitely, definitely give this a good look.

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #9,733 of 11,345
thanks guys, just recieved my t20rps and the right phone keeps cutting in and out, seems like something to do with the plug on the left side. i remember somebody having this problem before..i just dont know what he did to fix it or if he just returned them. any suggestions? 

EDIT: found my answer on page 284...sorry

anything i should know about t20rps? like anything i need to do different vs the t50rps?
hope my Nad c372 amp has enough power for these

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #9,734 of 11,345
I fixed my comfort issue. I just glued another pair of Shure 840 pads on top of the Shure 840, and cut the cloth on the 2nd one. It might help sound quality, but I really need the comfort. And so far the only difference I can make out is that the soundstage is a little wider, and they don't get as loud.

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #9,735 of 11,345
modded :)

used what i had for now

took of white felt and replaced with 3m Micropore...put some craft felt on top...Newplasted it...cut out some craft foam to shape cup and filled with cotton ball....and electric taped the vents with 2 holes poked...and then put extra felt under the pads and thats it for now
so far its such a huge upgrade from stock that i cant believe it...i wish i let i had the patience to show my girlfriend the stock sound before i modded but couldnt wait...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back