Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 28, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #9,451 of 11,345
well then, Mo ... count me amongst the gallery
beerchug.gif
   . right now i'm using the latest dbv#3 with all cotton stuffing and circular reflector ... best yet!

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #9,452 of 11,345
Quote:
What's the state of the art when it comes to t50rp modding? BMF 8.1? I want to mod them to closed/sealed.
how would you rate a pair of self-modded t50rp like BMF 8.1 or #3 compared to the mad dog t50rp?

I am located in europa and it is pretty tough to find all the stuff required to mod my t50rp - does someone sell a kit including all the stuff?

I have enough materials for several kits.  PM me for details.

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #9,453 of 11,345
Quote:
What's the state of the art when it comes to t50rp modding? BMF 8.1? I want to mod them to closed/sealed.
how would you rate a pair of self-modded t50rp like BMF 8.1 or #3 compared to the mad dog t50rp?

I am located in europa and it is pretty tough to find all the stuff required to mod my t50rp - does someone sell a kit including all the stuff?

latest 'released' bmf mod is dbv3 with all cotton stuffing & circular reflector. 
for this mod, you need the following materials (or equivalent):

acoustipack-lite, paxmate plus, silicon II sealant, rite-aid natural cotton roll, 1.5mm stiff felt, glossy magazine paper, double-sided tape, newplast, shure srh-840 earpads.   (have i forgotton anything?)

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #9,454 of 11,345
Quote:
latest 'released' bmf mod is dbv3 with all cotton stuffing & circular reflector. 
for this mod, you need the following materials (or equivalent):

acoustipack-lite, paxmate plus, silicon II sealant, rite-aid natural cotton roll, 1.5mm stiff felt, glossy magazine paper, double-sided tape, newplast, shure srh-840 earpads.   (have i forgotton anything?)

geetarman49,

I'm happy to hear you got good results and think DBV #3 is the "best yet." Personally, I agree and like them tuned for a bit more treble detail/extension without giving up their excellent sub-bass to midrange. 

You correctly listed all components needed for DBV #3. For clarification, "1.5 mm stiff felt" refers to its thickness and should be cut to 40x40 mm square. 

The configuration is described HERE, after Graph #55, with photos and tuning suggestions ---> "Simplified and Consolidated Pictorial for DBV #3."  

IMO, DBV #2 and DBV #3 (and their variations described in the same section) are superior to BMF V8.1 and all earlier mod configurations I've posted.

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #9,456 of 11,345
Thank you all for your answers!

Can someone compare a DBV#3 to a MadDog T50rp? 
Does someone use his T50rp as portable? Is sound leakage a problem with a modded t50rp?

I'm looking for a new portable headphone right now and can't decide whether to choose a UE6000, HD25, TMA-1, something similar or a modded T50rp.
Please help me decide. I listen to rock and metal and want to drive my new headphone with my ipod 5g or my galaxy s3.

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #9,457 of 11,345
Quote:
Thank you all for your answers!

Can someone compare a DBV#3 to a MadDog T50rp? 
Does someone use his T50rp as portable? Is sound leakage a problem with a modded t50rp?

I'm looking for a new portable headphone right now and can't decide whether to choose a UE6000, HD25, TMA-1, something similar or a modded T50rp.
Please help me decide. I listen to rock and metal and want to drive my new headphone with my ipod 5g or my galaxy s3.

I'd go with smaller portables if you are looking for portable.  The T50rp's are pretty big and a little heavy.  Sound leakage isn't bad, but if someone is sitting right next to you, they might still hear something.  For rock and metal, the HD25-II are very good, plus they are built super tough.  I sold mine awhile ago, but am tempted to get them back every single time I see a pair for sale.  Haven't tried the others, although I have read that the TMA-1's are a little more laid back.

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #9,458 of 11,345

Yes, and no, leakage is not a problem on a modded set.
But the modded set does not fold or swivel or whatever. It's also half a kilogram.
For outright sound quality they'd be great, otherwise any of the other choices are better on portability.

Oct 28, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #9,459 of 11,345
Well, time for an irreversible mod!  I am going to put a 4-pin mini XLR jack into each cup for detachable cables (which will in turn be swappable with my LCD-2's).  Hopefully I don't futz it up!  Then I am thinking a paint job.  

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #9,460 of 11,345
^ be sure to post pics as you go
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #9,462 of 11,345
Doh!  

Spent like 5 minutes lining it up perfectly so that it matched the left cup which went well...  Only to realize after drilling that they shouldn't be the same, they should be mirror imaged...  

We will call it a bass port for now until I use some epoxy putty to fill it in.

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #9,463 of 11,345
Oh, man. I feel your pain! 

Earlier in this thread, someone used bondo to seal up the hole left by the original cable jack. Feel like learning some autobody repair? :)

(Looks like nice work otherwise!)

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #9,464 of 11,345
I've been itching to mod again ever since I modded my Alessandro MS1i.  Does anyone know if the prices for the T50RP are cyclic or will it never go down again to $70?  The best deal I could find is at Front End Audio for $99.

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #9,465 of 11,345
I've been itching to mod again ever since I modded my Alessandro MS1i.  Does anyone know if the prices for the T50RP are cyclic or will it never go down again to $70?  The best deal I could find is at Front End Audio for $99.

No Idea but I'll let you know that when the price was fluctuating like crazy in the States before, the T50RP was pretty consistent at $90~100 in Canada. Right now it's about $129~132, despite CAD:USD almost 1:1. Prices in Canada will always be a bit higher.
It might be the new going price :S Let's hope not though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back