Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Aug 8, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #9,076 of 11,345
Hey guys. Just wondering about modding the Foxtex T50RPs. I'm looking to buy my first set of real headphones and heard that the T50RPs?, after modding, sound really good, like better than most headphones in that price range. The question is, how hard is it to mod stock T50RPs? Is it something that will take weeks or months in order to get it to the type of sound quality higher end headphones produce? How much would it cost approx. in order to mod them? And how difficult exactly is it to mod them? Are there guides available on modding these headphones? Just some questions, thanks a lot guys.

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #9,077 of 11,345
Quote:
Hey guys. Just wondering about modding the Foxtex T50RPs. I'm looking to buy my first set of real headphones and heard that the T50RPs?, after modding, sound really good, like better than most headphones in that price range. The question is, how hard is it to mod stock T50RPs? Is it something that will take weeks or months in order to get it to the type of sound quality higher end headphones produce? How much would it cost approx. in order to mod them? And how difficult exactly is it to mod them? Are there guides available on modding these headphones? Just some questions, thanks a lot guys.

The question is, how handy are you? IMO, modding headphones is very hard to do because little changes can make big difference, and to get a world class T50rp, you need to be very good at mods.

Here you go: http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #9,078 of 11,345
Quote:

This thread IS a modding guide thread!! haha, it's ginormous but information is found mixed inside.
There's a wiki thread that actually links to specific posts for specific mods. Most likely the more popular mods.
Then there's the link Pingupenguins posted... Truly some great inputs from BMF.

Depending on how far you're willing to go, the mods can cost in total more than the headphones themselves... if not a few dollars or even spare materials at home can get you started. Usually, though, the change of earpad is recommended so your modding journey starts are ~20$ for new pads.
I'm working on a cheapo mod, but the resulting sound quality will not match the better documented ones.

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #9,079 of 11,345
@Kalbee and penguins
I see, would you recommend the T50RPs to someone completely new to modding, and if so, are there any mods that you would recommend to start with. If not, what would you recommend to get into the world of modding?

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #9,080 of 11,345
Quote:
@Kalbee and penguins
I see, would you recommend the T50RPs to someone completely new to modding, and if so, are there any mods that you would recommend to start with. If not, what would you recommend to get into the world of modding?

Do you have any other headphones you don't mind breaking? Modding can always start with any headphone. The modding process for orthos and dynamics are essentially/mostly the same, just the results differ a bit.

Basic materials for elementary modding is probably blue tack and cotton. If you have plasticine (non-drying modeling clay) and felt, you can try even more things. You can throw just about anything inside to see how things sound truth be said.

There's only two requirements otherwise for modding is to be careful and able to work slightly delicately with your hands, and patience.

Note that blue tack is hardly used in modding T50RP AFAIK.

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #9,081 of 11,345
Quote:

Using a Kobalt Digital Caliper, Shure 840 Pads:

INSIDE

Top to bottom, lengthwise: 67.4 mm

Side to side, width:  48.2 mm

Depth: 21.8 mm

OUTSIDE

Top to bottom, lengthwise:  106.8

Side to side, width:  89.2

Depth:  21.8 mm

Big thanks!
So the opening isn't very big.. Would be hard to line their inner side with acoustic foam.

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #9,082 of 11,345
Quote:
Do you have any other headphones you don't mind breaking? Modding can always start with any headphone. The modding process for orthos and dynamics are essentially/mostly the same, just the results differ a bit.

Basic materials for elementary modding is probably blue tack and cotton. If you have plasticine (non-drying modeling clay) and felt, you can try even more things. You can throw just about anything inside to see how things sound truth be said.

There's only two requirements otherwise for modding is to be careful and able to work slightly delicately with your hands, and patience.

Note that blue tack is hardly used in modding T50RP AFAIK.

No, these would essentially be the first actual pair of "good" headphones I buy. It's kind of a choice between these or TBSE1s. Kind of just want to see if these would be a good choice for me. If any pair of headphones would work, I've got some crappy JVCs that I can probably try my hand at modding. I've always been a fan of taking things apart and building those DIY kits for kids when I was younger, if that helps at all.

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #9,083 of 11,345
Quote:
No, these would essentially be the first actual pair of "good" headphones I buy. It's kind of a choice between these or TBSE1s. Kind of just want to see if these would be a good choice for me. If any pair of headphones would work, I've got some crappy JVCs that I can probably try my hand at modding. I've always been a fan of taking things apart and building those DIY kits for kids when I was younger, if that helps at all.

Sounds like you have some knowledge of messing with your hands. Just be careful with the wires. Driver solder pads aren't known for their indestructibility. We all start somewhere and I think the T50rp is good. Just count on buying another pair because you will get yourself into the "irreversible" territory, and you may not like the results.

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #9,084 of 11,345
Quote:
Sounds like you have some knowledge of messing with your hands. Just be careful with the wires. Driver solder pads aren't known for their indestructibility. We all start somewhere and I think the T50rp is good. Just count on buying another pair because you will get yourself into the "irreversible" territory, and you may not like the results.

Just wondering, in terms of modding, are there any specific equipment I'll need in general? Soldering iron, drills, ect.? Also, I might just get the TBSE1s for now and grab a pair of T50rps when I have some cash laying around and I feel like messing around with them, but some modding information beforehand would be pretty awesome.

Aug 8, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #9,085 of 11,345
Quote:
Just wondering, in terms of modding, are there any specific equipment I'll need in general? Soldering iron, drills, ect.? Also, I might just get the TBSE1s for now and grab a pair of T50rps when I have some cash laying around and I feel like messing around with them, but some modding information beforehand would be pretty awesome.

A soldering iron is a great thing to have, and it really depends on the mods. There's no set toolbox.

Aug 8, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #9,086 of 11,345
Quote:

Not familiar with the TBSE1s but don't be afraid to get these. It's very easy to make these sound better than other headphones in their price range with very simple, reversible mods. No soldering irons or drills required for the basics. You can always get more adventurous with re-cabling, etc. but basically you need a screwdriver, some $5 non-hardening modelling clay, some acoustic foam (paxmate or similar), $20 replacement pads, and perhaps some cotton, craft felt, and other cheap sundries. To get them to sound like $300+ phones will require tuning and testing but no great expense. See the link posted above to BMFs DBV2 mod to see the scope of one of the state-of-the art T50RP mods. Not terribly difficult or expensive. To get them to sound like great $100+ headphones just requires some mass loading with clay/plasticine and acoustic foam to reduce resonance and reflection. Shure 840 pads (and other options) add comfort, better seal, and increased clarity/bass. Very simple to get started and get great results. Then you will probably feel like going further. 

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #9,087 of 11,345
Quote:

Yup, that's what I meant. You can try opening the JVCs apart and making changes to them to get a feel on modding. Or you can always just go ahead into the T50RP journey.
I think one major difference between these and the TBSE (or DJ100? DJ200?) will be the weight. Ortho drivers tend to have more magnets than dynamics, making them heavier overall. though in terms of comfort, they can be made very comfortable.
Quote:

A full reversible mod will require you none of those, just screw drivers. Maybe a cutter/knife if you wish to make semi-reversible changes by gaining access to the cup hinges.
Maybe some contact cleaner (or you can settle with baking soda) if you plan on using the stock cable.

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #9,089 of 11,345
Quote:

If you're considering buying the T50s to mod - and believe you might use a soldering iron and install a new cable, please consider ... The two wires that connect to the PCB-type film that encases the leads running to the planar driver is apparently done with aluminum solder.  Using a standard soldering iron and solder, will most likely result in a connection that will not hold up.  Instead, leave about 1.5" of the wire leads connected to the drivers themself.  Then, connect your new cable leads to those wires and then apply solder.  Cover with shrink tube, and  you're good to go.

Aug 8, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #9,090 of 11,345
Oh, and another major difference that may affect your choice between the T50RP and the TBSE is that the T50RP would be better off with an amp, unlike the TBSE which would benefit but will sound fine without.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back