Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Aug 3, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #9,061 of 11,345
Finally got my HM5 pads arrived after two weeks!

Took off the stock Fostex pads and put on the HM5s:

large improvement in treble  and soundstage, while bass is still muddy in my opinion.

I notice some people place the new pads right on top of the old Fostex pads using tape. Is that better than actually putting them on directly, plus some stretching of the using tape?

I spent 20min putting them on...

Note: I'll go buy a paradox mod from LFF instead of doing the internal mods. But I'll do that a bit later. For now, I want to try the simplest mods to see how the incremental changes compare to my other headphones.

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #9,063 of 11,345
Quote:

Yeah, that's the one I meant. Thanks. Though I want to know if using this is possible is sewn right
images

Feels like I just want to skip any other upgrades, be it CIEMs, amps, dac, etc and just get this

Might be possible, but the end result would be very bulky and might lose some of its elastic property.
It would be better to look for a elastics that aren't as wide, or find some hair elastics.
Unless you plan on making the whole suspension headband out of a wide elastic... that will likely pull on your hair a lot.

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #9,064 of 11,345
Quote:
As a MOT I apparently can't comment on other headphones no matter how horribly bad (or good) they might be.

Damn. There goes the reviews I read rabidly. Congrats on your monetization and spreading of the Paradox glory, though!

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #9,065 of 11,345
T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements database update:

I uploaded 30 additional comparative measurements of T50RP, T40RP, T20RP, LCD2 v.1: SPL FR Graphs, Waterfall Plots, and Spectrograms using Etymotic Triflange Tip mounted microphones and Etymotic Foam Tip mounted microphones.  

Like Pad Rolling, Tip Rolling makes a difference, at least in these measurement sets.  Note that all measurements were made with Triflange Tips unless otherwise stated beneath each set of graphs.

See Post #1 at: http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements

Scroll down to Graphs 80 - 95 and pictures EE - JJ. 

Cheers

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #9,066 of 11,345
Quote:
Damn. There goes the reviews I read rabidly. Congrats on your monetization and spreading of the Paradox glory, though!

I think reviews don't fall under the rules....

I have a new custom IEM coming for review and the company's blessing to write an honest...even negative review if I so wish. Ballsy move on their end especially since they contacted me after I wrote a less than positive review on the HD700.

If reviews are subject to the same rules here, then you need only google "LFF headphone" to find me at more open ended forums. Google is awesome.

Aug 4, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #9,067 of 11,345
Quote:
I think reviews don't fall under the rules....

I have a new custom IEM coming for review and the company's blessing to write an honest...even negative review if I so wish. Ballsy move on their end especially since they contacted me after I wrote a less than positive review on the HD700.

If reviews are subject to the same rules here, then you need only google "LFF headphone" to find me at more open ended forums. Google is awesome.

Cool beans. May I ask which CIEM it is, or is it a surprise?

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #9,068 of 11,345
Aug 4, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #9,070 of 11,345
Quote:
Currently a surprise...

One thing came to my mind was a Senns CIEM based on this quote :

Probably just my imagination

Aug 4, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #9,071 of 11,345
Quote:

One thing came to my mind was a Senns CIEM based on this quote :

Probably just my imagination

No...not a Senn.

I've been told they are high end but we shall see....

Aug 4, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #9,072 of 11,345
Finally got in a v-moda cable and 840 earpads, and I must admit, the sound has improved noticably.  The basslines certainly stand out more.  I'm really enjoying these headphones now, especially given the boost with minimal effort.

Aug 4, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #9,073 of 11,345
I deviated slightly from the dbv v1 mod just recently. What I did was replace the cotton used in the cups with grodan rock wool (which BMF was so kind to provide) and place a light layer of cotton over the top. I also removed the tape from the bass ports, but that was because the tape kept falling off! Currently enjoying this configuration, however the bass tends to bloat just a tad. I figure once I find my roll of electrical tape again and retape the bass ports that that will fix this problem.

Aug 4, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #9,074 of 11,345
I deviated slightly from the dbv v1 mod just recently. What I did was replace the cotton used in the cups with grodan rock wool (which BMF was so kind to provide) and place a light layer of cotton over the top. I also removed the tape from the bass ports, but that was because the tape kept falling off! Currently enjoying this configuration, however the bass tends to bloat just a tad. I figure once I find my roll of electrical tape again and retape the bass ports that that will fix this problem.

I'm glad to hear that's working out for you. For bass bloat, you could try an external modified bass port using masking tape. There's a picture of one in the Incremental Mods and Measurements thread.

It's easy to try different sizes. If you make it too big, cover some of the opening with another piece of masking tape. You can quickly go back and forth this way until you determine the best size for your particular mod.

Aug 6, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #9,075 of 11,345
I got a pair of T50RP's and have been modding somewhat along the lines of this tutorial, but using materials that I could find/buy cheaply in-store rather than ordering online.  My mods are as follows:
Dynamat on the cups with cutout for the driver and port
Cotton balls stuffed under the stock earpads to give me some separation and get a better seal
Makeup applicator foam (round discs of soft, dense foam sold in the drugstore for women to put on foundation and stuff) stuffed along the bottom of the outer cups
Non-drying modeling clay packed around the drivers inside the ear cups
Non-drying modeling clay to fill the holes around the jack
Tape with a ~3mmx1mm slot covering the bass ports.
Stiff craft felt taped over the backside of the drivers
No drilling or foam pyramids yet.  I might not even bother with the other mods in this tutorial, though I might get the Shure pads since the stock ones are kinda ghetto with tape holding them on and whatnot.  

These things sound ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE.  Thanks for the guide!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back