Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jul 29, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #9,002 of 11,345
Quote:
Can you still do the paint job after a duel entry hard wire re cable is done?

Yes...I'm doing one right now.

It was hardwired to the drivers to a balanced out. Not an easy thing do but definitely do-able.
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #9,003 of 11,345
Quote:
Can you still do the paint job after a duel entry hard wire re cable is done?

Yes, but it makes the job more difficult. You would need to tape off the wire with masking tape.
Being able to remove the cable would make the paint job much easier.

Jul 30, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #9,004 of 11,345
Hey guys, here is a very specific question... I am quite happy with my current mod of the T50RPs but the one thing that I'm not sure about is the bass. My other pair of cans is the Audio Technica M50 and their bass seems superior. I would estimate that with my mod the T50RP's bass is ~70-80% that of the M50, albeit a tad cleaner / less boomy. 

The short version: to anyone who has both the T50RP and the M50, how does the bass compare between the two?

[ My mod: 840 pads, v-moda cable, vents closed except for ~3mm left untaped, white driver paper removed and replaced w/ two layers transpore, stiff black felt over transpore, silverstone foam in cups, baffle port closed, clay in baffles, some (but not much) cotton in each side (teased cotton balls). ]

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #9,006 of 11,345
he can try the config i posted earlier though, heheh. not sure if it will have m50 bass but its probably better. lcd2v2 bass with more body and impact without loosing its midrange but treble has abit of problem since there is no cotton material stuffed inside it yet.

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #9,008 of 11,345
nope, those pads are alot smaller than the 840 pads, you can remove them though, but youll get lesser bass slam.

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #9,010 of 11,345
Quote:
nope, those pads are alot smaller than the 840 pads, you can remove them though, but youll get lesser bass slam.

Wouldn't that how a "bass lens" would work essentially, yes? Have you tried using stiff felt instead of a smaller earpad? I've only tried this on my Portapro and my T50RP at one time, using felt and a bit of foam. Punchy bass and quite shrill highs, even with the foam, from memory. And it seems to focus the air into something that punched me straight into my brain and give me headaches though.

But that was before I did my latest 2 mods though (just the all standart newplast-in-baffle, paxmate in cups and cotton.) as at that time I find the bass is a little too few. IMO people should try melamine sponge (magic eraser or something it's called household-commercially). I find it increase bass impact and soundstage quite cleanly and adds a little bit energy in the treble, unlike my experience with cotton. 

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #9,011 of 11,345
Quote:
Wouldn't that how a "bass lens" would work essentially, yes? Have you tried using stiff felt instead of a smaller earpad? I've only tried this on my Portapro and my T50RP at one time, using felt and a bit of foam. Punchy bass and quite shrill highs, even with the foam, from memory. And it seems to focus the air into something that punched me straight into my brain and give me headaches though.

But that was before I did my latest 2 mods though (just the all standart newplast-in-baffle, paxmate in cups and cotton.) as at that time I find the bass is a little too few. IMO people should try melamine sponge (magic eraser or something it's called household-commercially). I find it increase bass impact and soundstage quite cleanly and adds a little bit energy in the treble, unlike my experience with cotton. 

yessir, those small pads would act as a bass lens and get better seal if the pad's "flap" starts to tear apart! i tried stiff felt, sealed the edges with masking tape, and it even lessens the bass for me. i even double checked this by doing the same thing with my fostex kotori, still no good.

maybe because of the felt material? with the pads, which uses leatherette, midrange and treble stays the same while the bass response increases.

i would try to rip off the foam inside and replace it with stiff felt so that the outer material is still using leatherette if i get a chance to buy another pair of pads at our local store. it is only cheap, like 0.50usd for a pair.

i have alot of those magic erasers at home, ill give it a shot later. any particular dimensions to use?

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #9,014 of 11,345
do you use the sponge part or the magic eraser part?

i also got a stiff felt that is about 1mm thicker than the usually used creatology felt i should use that sometime

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #9,015 of 11,345
Oh my. I think our products seems to be a bit different. Um the melamine sponge I used only has one part: that it's some sort of white sponge that will crumble when used for cleaning. I took a look in google, and I would assume the white one is the magic eraser part, so that's it I guess.

LOL and while searching for the image, I found this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/5880#post_8077944

Interesting that he couldn't get the bass to be more, but I think that's the nature of this particular hobby. Everyone's T50RP is different one way or another. Maybe I should say that my results with melamine sponge may vary with yours (and others that might want to try). 

Oh and the only thing I didn't do much from the shape of the sponge: 23mm depth as that's what my sponge came as. Other than that, I cut mine to fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back