Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jul 18, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #8,866 of 11,345
gotcha! thanks!

Quote:

You shouldn't have to cut the stock felt at all.  Leave the factory felt in place, but use black electrical tape to create the covering with the small notch cut out in the bottom of the tape.  Then, place it over the vent.  If you're looking for some feedback to see if the mod has changed the sound, you could mount the tape on the outside of the cups, so you can adjust the size of the open a bit.  When you're happy with a size, you could then open the cups back up, place the tape over the felt / vent and then a slight bit of glue around the tape to secure it into place for a prolonged period of time.

i did use electrical tape to seal the cup openings before putting the pads. does sticking the pads using tape will also make a difference?
Quote:

I don't mean it like that, doing the same thing again isn't likely going to change anythign.  You probably need to make a change.  If you're not getting enough bass, first thing to do is uncover some of the cup vent.  And if you are pulling the 003 pads around the baffle, just seal them to the baffle instead using tape or rope caulk, making sure there's no leaks.  This will give you much more bass.

Jul 19, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #8,869 of 11,345
That's why the bass increases. 
wink.gif
  And don't forget what i said about opening up more of the cup vent too, if you want more bass. 

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #8,871 of 11,345
Quote:
Dyaems, do you have original 003 pads, or the new softer version, same as HM5 pads?  If you're not getting enough bass with those you've got something very wrong happening in your cups. 

RD or BMF, have you noticed any audible difference between the new vs old 003/HM5 pads? (I'm referring to differences caused by the stiff vinyl used to line the ear hole in the older pads vs the softer vinyl used in the new pads.)

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #8,872 of 11,345
Hey, few quick questions guys:

1. Does this headphone require an amp?

2. How comfortable is this headphone with some FA-003/Shure 840 pads?

3. What color are the metal rods that connect to the headband on the MkII?

Thanks. :)

Jul 19, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #8,873 of 11,345
Quote:
Hey, few quick questions guys:

1. Does this headphone require an amp?

2. How comfortable is this headphone with some FA-003/Shure 840 pads?

3. What color are the metal rods that connect to the headband on the MkII?

Thanks. :)

1) Yes.  Since the efficiency is reduced with the modifications, it is roughly about as efficient as my HE-400s by HifiMAN.  While technically, an amp would not be required - but, to get the most out of the headphones, an amp would be.  It's not about supplying watts, but it is about giving them enough current.

2) Very comfortable.  I'm using the 840 pads.  This is the most comfortable pair of headphones that I have worn.

3) The color of the rods is a gold color to a slight copper color blend.

Jul 19, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #8,874 of 11,345
the FA003 pads are very comfortable as well. almost as comfortable with an sr007 as far as i can remember.. the t50rp feels heavier though

Jul 19, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #8,875 of 11,345
Quote:

1) Yes.  Since the efficiency is reduced with the modifications, it is roughly about as efficient as my HE-400s by HifiMAN.  While technically, an amp would not be required - but, to get the most out of the headphones, an amp would be.  It's not about supplying watts, but it is about giving them enough current.

2) Very comfortable.  I'm using the 840 pads.  This is the most comfortable pair of headphones that I have worn.

3) The color of the rods is a gold color to a slight copper color blend.

What amp would you recommend? Fiio E10 sounds nice and would probably work but something portable would be nice as well.

Jul 20, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #8,877 of 11,345
Finally got my t50's.  This is my first decent pair of headphones.  I haven't listened through any proper headphones in probably a decade.  Its been iphone and shure IEMs or running phones.  My car has a decent system so that is that.  Let me start off by saying I am far from an audiophile, and I am not very capable of determining small changes in sound and worse at describing.  

I played 'Ribbons' by Ingrid Michaelson with my shure IEM then with the T50rp stock (other than vmoda cable because I don't have an adapter.   This sounds so different, obviously!   The bass and mid bass sound boomy and overpowering to me.  That might just be because I haven't listened to anything with bass for a long time.   Her voice sounds much nicer, but it still needs more clarity as it is a little muddy to me.    The really nice part is that I can turn up the volume and it is just loud, not ear piercing.  Not sure how you guys qualify that.    I have much to learn.   I also have to be careful with the volume knob.  It is easy to turn it up and up.  

After listening for just 10-15 minutes my ears are pretty warm and a little sore because I think the stock ear pieces are too small.  I have some 840 pads here I'll try soon.  

As for the sources, I am just using my computers line out.  I just received the Beringer UCA 202 DAC today as well.  For an amp I have the O2.   I tried hooking the input of the O2 to the headphone of the UCA-202 and it hurt the quality.  I'll be getting some RCA to Audio jack cables from Frys this weekend and hopefully it improves things.  

I've read a lot about the break in period, but I've forgotten how the sound changes.  Am I supposed to leave this playing music overnight?

Jul 20, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #8,878 of 11,345
Just installed the 840 pads.  I was expecting a struggle.  On the first pair it took three tries.  On the first try I got the first side on, then moved it around and got the other side on and thought 'That was easy!' till I realized the first side fell off.  Haha.  On the third try, I got some electrical tape and taped the first side on, then moved around taping as needed.  It was really easy this way.  On the other pad, I used the tape method and got the pads on in 30 seconds.  Easy peasy.

I listened to music with one 840 pad on the left and stock on the right.  The music became very right heavy and all the vocals were heard from the right side.   The 840 pad is more comfortable, although it feels like the headphones themselves are loose on my head now.

As for the sound, its hard to tell because I'm modding it already with 20 minutes of listening.  :p   I want to say its more balanced and doesn't sound as muddy and bass heavy, but if I recall correctly, the 840 pads made the bass stronger, and the fabric sheet on the 840 pad would cancel some treble.  This is the opposite problem I was having.   It could also be me adjusting from bass-less treble-heavy IEMs to over-ear headphones.  Bass is punchier for sure.

This is fun.

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #8,879 of 11,345
Quote:
As for the sound, its hard to tell because I'm modding it already with 20 minutes of listening.  :p 

This is why I suggested that you spend some time with it unmodded, to let your brain get used to what it's hearing, how it's hearing it, etc. I've been wearing contact lenses for over 30 years, and I wear them probably 98% of the time...and when I put my glasses on I see completely different, and it takes my brain a little bit to adjust to how my eyes are processing light through the lenses of my glasses, versus  how my contact lenses process that same light. Headphones do the same thing with sound. IEMs are going to provide a different psycho acoustic perception than a full sized can. Open phones are going to sound different than closed, and on and on...and if you dont give your brain a chance to process what it's hearing you're going to miss the journey the T50 takes you on.

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #8,880 of 11,345
Oh I knew what you meant, but the stock pads were bothering my ears, so there isn't much point to keep them on if I had better replacements.  

I'll keep myself from opening it up for a bit.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back