Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jun 25, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #8,716 of 11,345
Anyone tried cotton pads like this inside their cups?

I've tried makeup remover pads in many configurations. 3 or 4 stacked between the driver and headband screw compartment work pretty well but not as well as loosely layered cotton filling the cups with just a bit of compression when re-seating the baffles to the cups, in my experience. Fiberglass is my third choice by itself. I've had good results with 20% fiberglass under 80% cotton. I've never had good results with fiberfill but others have.

Everyone must try all sorts of materials in a variety of combInations to see what works best.

Jun 26, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #8,718 of 11,345
Quote:
I have a question:

Do these and other planar headphones sound better at low volumes than Dynamics?

It all depends on what you consider low volume levels.  Keep in mind, low is all relevant to each listener.
biggrin.gif

However, to answer your question, yes, they do perform well at lower volumes - as do my HifiMAN headphones.  There's no way I'd survive listening to cranked up music all the time.

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #8,719 of 11,345
The Big Brown Truck delivered my first pair of T50rp's this afternoon. Of course, I had to unpack and audition them at once. I was prepared to be somewhat underwhelmed by the unmodded phones, and unfortunately was. Setup was MacBook Pro>Griffin iMic dac>Carver C-1 preamp headphone amp>T50rp. Sound was, for want of better words, a bit thin and dull. A few minutes tweaking with the iTunes equalizer helped the sound, well, a lot. I have a audioengine D1 dac on the way to replace the iMic. Maybe that will help as well? The headphone amp in the old Carver C-1 proved to be more than adequate to power the T50rp's. I will probably wait a few days (or maybe weeks) before starting to mod. I want to get more used to the sound signature of the T50rp's so I'll have a better base to judge the effect of the mods. I have a significant hearing impairment, so will be somewhat on my own to determine what sounds best to me. (I have no usable hearing in the right ear and "normal" hearing in the left ear below 2k Hz with a noticeable straight line loss above.) Probably the first mod will involve the ear pads. I am accustomed to mouse fuzz (velour) ear pads so may want to change. Is there any consensus on the velour pad of choice? Shure 940 or Beyerdynamic  or? At some point I'll probably remove the right ear phone entirely and replace it with some sort of pad arrangement, since I don't like to have that ear covered at all. Any suggestions on where to start the internal mods? I understand it will be trial and error, but that doesn't really bother me since I'm a retired engineer and have plenty of time to tinker. Thanks, Vic

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #8,720 of 11,345
Jun 26, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #8,721 of 11,345
I found that summary post this afternoon. Great reference! Spent several hours checking out the various posts. But, there's so MANY choices! Thought I might start out with the plasticine baffle loading first. Make any sense? Vic

Jun 27, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #8,722 of 11,345
Good idea to start from there then everything else is fair game, might want to consider plugging the tiny baffle holes as well with slicone EDIT=(or whatever is reversible later ) as well.

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #8,723 of 11,345
Quote:
Good idea to start from there then everything else is fair game, might want to consider plugging the tiny baffle holes as well with slicone ( reversible later ) as well.

I don't think silicone is reversible, you must mean Newplast / Plasticine.

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #8,724 of 11,345
Up to you I find it easy to take out again but your mileage may vary. Just a tiny bit over the hole.  Whatever works to plug em up.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #8,725 of 11,345
Quote:
Up to you I find it easy to take out again but your mileage may vary. Just a tiny bit over the hole.  Whatever works to plug em up.
bigsmile_face.gif

Huh, I learn something new everyday. It seemed very similar to hot glue so I figured it was fairly permanent.

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #8,726 of 11,345
If its just a tiny bit it can be pushed out from the opposite side with a small drill bit then any leftovers scraped off. But then again same for the hot glue :)

A few folks use silicone along the ballfe cup seam, that's what I'll be doing if they ever get finalized ( yeah that's a bad word )

Jun 27, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #8,727 of 11,345
Quote:
If its just a tiny bit it can be pushed out from the opposite side with a small drill bit then any leftovers scraped off. But then again same for the hot glue :)

A few folks use silicone along the ballfe cup seam, that's what I'll be doing if they ever get finalized ( yeah that's a bad word )

I've used the 1/8" thick craft foam that has an adhesive on one side.  I cut the foam into strips that would fit into the groove, removed the adhesive backing and used a tiny screwdriver to set it into place.  This allowed for the cups to be opened fairly easy in the future -- yet, provided a seal that was effective.  The foam sheets were made by Creative and were available at the craft store (Michaels) for less than $1.00 for an 8.5" x 11" sheet.

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #8,728 of 11,345
Quote:

I've used the 1/8" thick craft foam that has an adhesive on one side.  I cut the foam into strips that would fit into the groove, removed the adhesive backing and used a tiny screwdriver to set it into place.  This allowed for the cups to be opened fairly easy in the future -- yet, provided a seal that was effective.  The foam sheets were made by Creative and were available at the craft store (Michaels) for less than $1.00 for an 8.5" x 11" sheet.

Creatology?

Jun 27, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #8,729 of 11,345
Hello everyone, first post here!

Let me first say thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread, your creativity and passion are remarkable. 

I just received my first pair of T50rp headphones yesterday and naturally I spent all last night modifying them. I sort of mixed together various mods but I most closely followed the BMF 8.1 guidelines. 

Here is my current mod:

1. Silverstone foam in ear cups
2. Plasticine-loaded baffle compartments
3. White felt on rear of driver removed, replaced with 3x3cm stiff felt and 2x2cm piece of transpore tape on top of that
4. teased cotton balls to make ~2x7x7cm pads for each cup
5. stock baffle port open
6. vents closed on outside with electrical tape and ~2-3mm opening on bottom vent.
7. 840 pads

So far I am VERY pleased with the sound, however I have a few questions (I've read 100+ pages of the thread but the answers have eluded me.)

-I find that the sound is slightly fatiguing, I'm thinking this is due to the upper mids / lower treble? Any thing I can do to specifically target this issue?

-The ear side of my cups is untouched w/ dust cover, etc. still intact. Is it worth it to remove the felt and install silverstone foam here? In what way does modifying the ear-side of the cup actually change the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back