Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jun 6, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #8,506 of 11,345
Quote:
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/5327/img20120606003448.jpg

Now to get an O2. Any other amp/dac suggestions? Does a regular laptop output make it impossible to hear what these are capable of? I know the power draw is so high, but even at low listening levels, the quality is majorly degraded?

The image is hilarious.

On the amp - the O2 is a great amp. I've had the pleasure to use one and now I'm looking to buy one myself. :)
The ODAC is apparently very good, and, judging by the quality of the amp, I wouldn't doubt it. I'd wager it's a solid DAC. By experience, the HRT MSII is a good DAC as well.

Also:
My "Mad Dog" T50RPs by MrSpeakers should be here tomorrow. Excited!

Jun 6, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #8,507 of 11,345
Big question: On the T50RP, there is a little hole, earside through the felt and baffle, above the driver. It is not in the centre, but offset. It looks like they used the same piece for both channels, instead of making a symmetrical one for each side. The hole is top right of the driver on each one, making the hole in the right ear farther back.

Here's the thing: My pair has FR imbalance in certain places along the top end of the spectrum. at a certain frequency, one side is louder than the other and it sounds like the audio is coming off-centre. Just above or below that frequency, the other driver is louder. Is this due to the different placed holes, or do I have a bad pair?

FIRST MOD: Successful gross correction of midrange "honk" and addition of more clear high end; they have been taken past the way the T20 v2 sound: Thick pads from old Sony MDR-XD400 headphones added, with half moon spacers 20mm wide at the thickest part holding the cushion off further behind the ear - similar to what is described on how to setup the SRH840 cushions. It seems any bigger cushions than stock will help a lot by holding the phones further away from your ears. Stock cushions let the felt touch your earlobes. As far as I know the earlobes being in the natural position is essential for normal sound perception. Now the phones need more power as they sound quieter... Onboard sound at 100% is actually comfortable.

Jun 6, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #8,508 of 11,345
If you haven't measured them with equipment, and are just listening, do try another pair of 'phones to make sure it's not your ears. I have one ear more sensitive to high frequencies.

I doubt a small hole would have an immense impact on the sound. i'd wager it's either a bad pair or you're more sensitive to channel imbalance than the average bear.

Jun 6, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #8,509 of 11,345
I reckon its driver distance from ears. Now that theres a 1-1.5cm gap between felt and ear opening the difference is much smaller but there. The T20 has a pronounced pan - probably cause the drivers are even closer to the ears? A small difference in earlobe shape means a large percentage difference in distance. While a slow sweep plays, suddenly it pans left, then quickly right, very slightly. Reversing the sweep pans right then left.

However the felt is also stuck over 20% of one of the holes. It's perfectly centered on the other side... Is this worthy of exchanging? If the plan is to tweak to perfection they better be perfect stock. Are these little physical irregularities normal?

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #8,510 of 11,345
Quote:
So after spending several weeks on this forum, I decided to take the plunge.  I moved away from my Audio Technica safety net and purchased a set of T50RP's.  Now it is just a matter of finding the best replacement pad choice.  I am looking for the best bang for my buck (if possible).  Im running into a price range some where near 80 dollars.  I would like to keep it lower than that if possible.  Right now I am looking for insight/suggestions.

Runners up are:

Audeze LCD-2 Pads
Denon lawton audio Pads (has anyone used these on a T50RP?)
Fischer FA-003 Pads (I hear these are a pain to put on).  I hear these are made by Yoga?
The Fischer Knockoffs brainwavz HM5 pads
Hifiman (if someone can name a specific pad/model)
Beyerdynamic Leather Pads

As secondary notes:

I considered the Beyerdynamic gel pads, but I don't think I could handle the feel of the pads.  Maybe with the Sock mod, but Im' afraid I will lose the isolation, soundstage, etc. due to loss of the seal (which is why these pads are probably amazing in the first place).  I could be wrong, but this is my assumption.

I also considered the Stax O2, but 160 dollars for pads is a bit outrageous for me right now (talk to me in a year, I might change my mind).

I am also open to any suggestions, so please feel free to comment.  Also thanks in advance for any suggestions or direction you can give me.

My humble opinion, others can chime in:

LCD pads: I never tried these on the T50rps, but they are a lot squishier than I would have guessed from pictures.  I doubt they will give you what you are looking such steep a price.  That said, I was told by an LCD3 owner that Audeze changed the "stiffness" of the pads because owners were complaining of a suction or "tunnel" effect --- like their brains were going to be pulled out through their ears!  I would love to see this... or here it?  You can get brown LCD2 pads on ebay for a little cheaper, but I rather make my own before spending that kind of cash.

Denon pads:  If J$ was still around, I would have tried out his pads... no comment otherwise.

Fischer, HM5, Yoga, etc:  These are all the same pads; they are all pleather.  This was confirmed, sorry, I don't have a source, though.  If there is a difference between versions, please correct me.

Hifiman:  The standard Hifiman pleather pads look nice on the internets, but they feel super cheap and personally, I find them uncomfortable (on Hifiman cans).  Since they are circular where the T50rps are more oval shaped, I would imagine getting a good seal would be difficult.  I would recommend their velour pads in any case, they sure make HE-500s sound much more luscious.

Beyer: I cannot comment on SQ effects, but I would imagine being circular, like Hifiman's pads, would make a perfect seal very difficult.

As many know, I highly recommend the Shure srh1440/1840 velour pads.  I also recommend stacking them on top of the stock pads.  When I first started out listening to headphones, the ATH-AD700 was the only sound signature I was familiar with.  I loved its sound stage and detail, while having very little bass, but I was okay with that.  If you are looking for a similar sound with slightly better bass, my setup is a great transition.  If you are looking for thumpin' bass, then my setup probably is not your best option.  (I just got my Measuring kit in the mail from BMF.  I need to learn how to use it and will have some free time Thursday, so hopefully I will have some measurements up soon enough for my setup.)

Nanjirou, there are tons of options, so there is no one solution.  I would advise not to buy a ton of pads until you know what sound signature you are trying to achieve, as well as knowing/trying different mods.  Most mods are based off of the srh840 pads, so changing pads on specific mods could alter the sound in a not so positive way. 

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #8,511 of 11,345
Where can you get the SRH1440/1840 velour for a decent price?

Jun 6, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #8,512 of 11,345
Quote:
Indeed, the bass is over the top with a total open back (and sealed earpads). It's up about 5 -8 dB until 1 kHz. I'm hoping that lossy earpads will give less over the top bass, so that I don't need to damp very much. The driver has an easy time pressurizing the earpad cavity if it is not damped at the rear.

If there is such a big margin on bass then maybe they can be run as earspeakers, K-1000 style, without pads. Has anyone tried it yet?

Jun 6, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #8,513 of 11,345
If there is such a big margin on bass then maybe they can be run as earspeakers, K-1000 style, without pads. Has anyone tried it yet?

Yes, I tried before. I like the sound but the comfort is borderline acceptable. Maybe I'll try making PortaPro style temple supports and get back at you. It sounds a little weird tho, yet very clean sounding. Bass? Don't remember but likely thin.

I'll make some graphs comparing pads I guess, and MUCH thanks to BMF for his help!

Jun 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #8,515 of 11,345
Quote:

As many know, I highly recommend the Shure srh1440/1840 velour pads.  I also recommend stacking them on top of the stock pads.  When I first started out listening to headphones, the ATH-AD700 was the only sound signature I was familiar with.  I loved its sound stage and detail, while having very little bass, but I was okay with that.  If you are looking for a similar sound with slightly better bass, my setup is a great transition.  If you are looking for thumpin' bass, then my setup probably is not your best option.  (I just got my Measuring kit in the mail from BMF.  I need to learn how to use it and will have some free time Thursday, so hopefully I will have some measurements up soon enough for my setup.)

Nanjirou, there are tons of options, so there is no one solution.  I would advise not to buy a ton of pads until you know what sound signature you are trying to achieve, as well as knowing/trying different mods.  Most mods are based off of the srh840 pads, so changing pads on specific mods could alter the sound in a not so positive way. 

I own and love the ATH-AD700.  Sound wise, I am looking for a bit more bass (not thumping but I want it to be evident and clear), better soundstage, and to add clarity/tuning to the highs/mids/lows.  Making sure nothing sounds distorted or out of frequency.  Isolation would also be nice, but not completely necessary.  These are some of the reason I was considering the Denon Lawton  Audio Pads.  I read, on this forum and other forums, that they are very close and possible better quality than J$'s Denon's.  Although this could just be hearsay.  

So how are you covering up the double sided tape with the velour pads?  I've seen several mods using the double sided tape, but most of the time the tape sticks out clear as day.  I'm sure it works, just a bit ghetto looking.

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #8,516 of 11,345
Quote:
earspeakers? uncomfortable?

you don't say...

:p

I don't get it, since STAX looks decently comfortable or at least acceptable in comfort and the K1000 also. They seem to weigh a lot though!
Of course, those are my assumptions.
In the case of the T50RP, I'd be decently comfortable if it weren't for the front edge of the cups digging into my face. Ears against the drivers? at least I can have it flush against my ears to have the pressure even out. Naturally, it could be better.

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #8,517 of 11,345
Ive got a few questions that i really cant ask in a new post :)

Do the t50rps have inferior mids/highs than the t20's?
How is the balance on t50rp's after being cotton ball modded correctly?
Is it any upgrade to go from Creative aurvana lives to t50rp/t20 with a cmoy?- obviously this is highly subjective but i mean in terms of immersion and some seriously accurate highs. Like is it really worth spending the 70 + the 30 for a vanilla CMOY?
I have some KSC-75's that sound to my ears more accurate than my CALs but not as refined or as separated.
im looking for that non cluttered clean audiophile sound that ive only heard on 10,000 $ plus speaker systems.
thanks!

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #8,519 of 11,345
im going to do a cmoy + ipod + whatever combo, aperrently it sounds dramatically better than straight out of a weak source like an ipod or walkman. Ive also read that the fostex' sound alot better with some more power so it might be a good addition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back