Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jun 4, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #8,491 of 11,345
Quote:
I am wondering what the "+" are on the plasticine?

In my opinion it simply stops the surface from being a completely flat reflection area, sort of breaks that up, but if you have stuff in front of it it will make less difference that way, at least it takes the reflection variable out of the equation. I feel taking things out of the equation helps limit all the "what-ifs" when playing around with damping combinations.

Whether it makes that much of a difference in the end... it does at least in my mind.

Jun 4, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #8,493 of 11,345
Quote:

beyersmile.png
hahahahaha I know what you mean! For lack of better words, these pads were a bitch to put on. I didn't need the tape though, at least not after they were all the way on :p

Hopefully I'll be getting some rock wool to replace the cotton in mine today.

When you put the 003 pads on by stretching it increases the volume of the interior cavity and it can mess up the sound and produce a lot of bass/midbass peaks and troughs. I've measured this and it's not been a good outcome on any configuration I tried.  Maybe it's great on some configs, I don't know, but I would suggest some caution.

I would recommend attaching with LFF's sock mod, or just use a 360deg run of double sided tape and press fit it.  There's nothing bad about doing that, there are headphone makers who attach their pads with adhesive.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 5, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #8,497 of 11,345
Quote:
Is there an open back mod for t50rp? Like some dense material damping behind the driver and open vents to make up the missing bass?

Indeed, the bass is over the top with a total open back (and sealed earpads). It's up about 5 -8 dB until 1 kHz. I'm hoping that lossy earpads will give less over the top bass, so that I don't need to damp very much. The driver has an easy time pressurizing the earpad cavity if it is not damped at the rear.

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #8,498 of 11,345
Oh god I put cotton in the back and I lost all my bass. All of it. It's less than a wimper now. Oh god the treble. So much treble.

edit: removed most of it. Much better. Still not quite there, however.

editedit: I GOT MY BASS BACK, and the treble is still top notch.

Jun 5, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #8,499 of 11,345
Quote:
Oh god I put cotton in the back and I lost all my bass. All of it. It's less than a wimper now. Oh god the treble. So much treble.

edit: removed most of it. Much better. Still not quite there, however.

editedit: I GOT MY BASS BACK, and the treble is still top notch.

what did you end up trying to get that.

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #8,502 of 11,345
so for the benefit of others who may be reading... were you using cotton balls or sheets, and how thick of a layer or arrangement did you start with ( I assume filled but roughly what quantity) and how much did you end up using at the end?

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #8,503 of 11,345
So after spending several weeks on this forum, I decided to take the plunge.  I moved away from my Audio Technica safety net and purchased a set of T50RP's.  Now it is just a matter of finding the best replacement pad choice.  I am looking for the best bang for my buck (if possible).  Im running into a price range some where near 80 dollars.  I would like to keep it lower than that if possible.  Right now I am looking for insight/suggestions.

Runners up are:

Audeze LCD-2 Pads
Denon lawton audio Pads (has anyone used these on a T50RP?)
Fischer FA-003 Pads (I hear these are a pain to put on).  I hear these are made by Yoga?
The Fischer Knockoffs brainwavz HM5 pads
Hifiman (if someone can name a specific pad/model)
Beyerdynamic Leather Pads

As secondary notes:

I considered the Beyerdynamic gel pads, but I don't think I could handle the feel of the pads.  Maybe with the Sock mod, but Im' afraid I will lose the isolation, soundstage, etc. due to loss of the seal (which is why these pads are probably amazing in the first place).  I could be wrong, but this is my assumption.

I also considered the Stax O2, but 160 dollars for pads is a bit outrageous for me right now (talk to me in a year, I might change my mind).

I am also open to any suggestions, so please feel free to comment.  Also thanks in advance for any suggestions or direction you can give me.

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #8,504 of 11,345
I might be lucky:

The same day I pick up my T50RP I find a cared for, barely used 2004 T20 v2 locally. The T20 has a circular ortho diaphragm, and like the square one in the new T50RP, is specified as "Regulated Phase" Note old phone with quadruple sewing thread repair to headband.

So when I walked into Moog Audio on Queen St. I made them spend 3 hours opening every single pair of headphones they carry for a listen. Basically, the K271 Mk2 is my favorite phone because it is FLAT to my ear. A sweep yields no spikes or dips in volume. Thus everything sounds present, nothing is hidden and volume can be normal without bother.

The T50RP, stock, is exactly like this! I was skeptical when seeing the FR graphs on innerfidelity comparing the two, looking the same, because others complained of a "midrange honk" on these? I notice it a little but it's nothing at all to complain of.

The thing is that the general trend is a gradual linear decrease in response as the f goes up for the T50. The T20 is as flat, but had louder highs than mids, a gradual linear increase instead.

I want to shape the T50RP response to be closer to the T20 without changing any specific frequency. Maybe just a subbass and bass boost, but it seems the slats take care of this. How do I make the highs louder?

For kicks: I come home at 10pm to realize I have no 6.3mm adapter. So having two fostex headphone cords (a 3.5 to 6.3 male-male cord) there is no way I'm leaving listening until tomorrow:
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/5327/img20120606003448.jpg

Now to get an O2. Any other amp/dac suggestions? Does a regular laptop output make it impossible to hear what these are capable of? I know the power draw is so high, but even at low listening levels, the quality is majorly degraded?

Side question: All music stores carrying T50RP in Toronto recently had a 1.5 month long delay from the manufacturer. Was there any design change? It seems odd for a manufacturer to run out of stock.

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #8,505 of 11,345
Quote:
so for the benefit of others who may be reading... were you using cotton balls or sheets, and how thick of a layer or arrangement did you start with ( I assume filled but roughly what quantity) and how much did you end up using at the end?

Alright, I went up to my grocery store and they had some 100% cotton balls and they were wrapped like a sphere. I pulled the balls I used almost entirely apart, trying for a very spread out consistency.  At first I put two full cotton balls into the shell. The entire shell was full. Way too much treble, and I was being literal when I said all the bass was gone. On the track I use to test cars for rattles the bass sputtered instead of thundering. (side note, I've never heard a headphone do this song justice. The bass on headphones just don't go that low from what I've experienced. Good headphones can still play that low, just not at the right volume) So I opened them up again and took out about 1 and 1/3 of the cotton balls and spread the cotton around the side of the shell, leaving the area directly behind the driver open.

I find leaving the spot on the wall directly behind the driver bare reflects a lot of the deep bass back into the mix. The really punchy kind. The best kind. That's mostly what I'm after and I'm pretty happy with the results. I still have too much treble in the general cymbal area of the mix. A work in progress that is easily fixed with an EQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back