Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Apr 29, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #7,951 of 11,345
Can anyone explain the advantage of using cotton/fibrestuff behind the driver? The only explanations I've read were that it "clears stuff up" and never anything quantifiable. If I had some, I'd go use it and see what it does, but I don't and I don't have a hobby store anywhere near me.

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #7,952 of 11,345
The pharmacy section of any store should have bags of cotton balls (or even cotton rolls) for a few dollars; more than enough for dozens of headphones. In general, I find stuffing in some cotton takes some of the "bite" out of the treble (likely a decay ridge). This may be good or bad depending on the headphone.

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #7,953 of 11,345

Quote:
The pharmacy section of any store should have bags of cotton balls (or even cotton rolls) for a few dollars; more than enough for dozens of headphones. In general, I find stuffing in some cotton takes some of the "bite" out of the treble (likely a decay ridge). This may be good or bad depending on the headphone.

Ah, I might drop by after school tomorrow then. I'll probably forget though. Hopefully sometime soon.

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #7,954 of 11,345

Quote:
I made a quick video demonstrating the basic T50RP mods and my own personal preference, hopefully to help those who are anxious to start modding, it isn't fantastic and doesn't go too in-depth with the materials but I would have killed for something like this when I started, just to show how easy it actually is, and thankyou to bluemoneyflyer for helping me when I began, top bloke!

Thank you!

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #7,955 of 11,345
Quote:
Finished the V8.1 mods, they're better textured, detailed and faster than the Rasta Pants IMO, believe it or not. Also, it fixed the recessed mids, I would recommend Everyone must try it out when BMF releases it. Clarity also increased, Mr. Speakers, you got competition.
wink_face.gif

Edit: Sorry for over-hype, but damn they sound good

I'll be very interested in hearing about these mods!

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #7,956 of 11,345

Quote:
Finished the V8.1 mods, they're better textured, detailed and faster than the Rasta Pants IMO, believe it or not. Also, it fixed the recessed mids, I would recommend Everyone must try it out when BMF releases it. Clarity also increased, Mr. Speakers, you got competition.
wink_face.gif

Edit: Sorry for over-hype, but damn they sound good

I guess I'm going to have to open my set back up!  I'm currently on the "less is more" version.

Apr 30, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #7,957 of 11,345

Quote:
I made a quick video demonstrating the basic T50RP mods and my own personal preference, hopefully to help those who are anxious to start modding, it isn't fantastic and doesn't go too in-depth with the materials but I would have killed for something like this when I started, just to show how easy it actually is, and thankyou to bluemoneyflyer for helping me when I began, top bloke!

This should be sticky or the first post in this thread. Helps newcomers to deal with this gigantic thread. Great job!

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #7,958 of 11,345
Thankyou for the kind words, I found it hard to explain that all of these mods (except the cotton and pads which I believe only improve the sound) are interchangable to your own personal tastes, so I decided to just demonstrate my own favourite combination (aiming for soundstage and as flat as possible while keeping the mids silky smooth), the modifications are very similar to "
BMF Transpore 1.33
" modifications with more ventilation sealing.

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #7,960 of 11,345

Quote:
Quick question.
Is the transpore tape better than the stock paper and why?
What are the differences?

Thanks and thanks for the video.

If this question was put to a vote, or poll, I would say "No." The stock driver paper works the best for me. Transpore is the best replacement that I have found if used with the proper combination of mods. Materials I have tried but did not work as well include: wool, stiff and limp felt, Micropore, J&J Secure Comfort tape, dryer sheets, coffee filters, thinly sliced melamine, and various foams.

IMO, the white driver paper is your friend. Note that there are at least 2 types of driver paper that require adjustments to your mod configuration: fibrous more porous paper vs. less porous translucent paper - and they may not be consistent to Old Stock and New Stock.

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #7,961 of 11,345
Something I noticed in the video... was the felt in front of the drivers already cut out and removed or did it come that way? Mine were covered. When I removed the very thin felt, there was still a paper-ish (plastic?) cover over the driver.

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #7,964 of 11,345

Quote:

If this question was put to a vote, or poll, I would say "No." The stock driver paper works the best for me. Transpore is the best replacement that I have found if used with the proper combination of mods. Materials I have tried but did not work as well include: wool, stiff and limp felt, Micropore, J&J Secure Comfort tape, dryer sheets, coffee filters, thinly sliced melamine, and various foams.

IMO, the white driver paper is your friend. Note that there are at least 2 types of driver paper that require adjustments to your mod configuration: fibrous more porous paper vs. less porous translucent paper - and they may not be consistent to Old Stock and New Stock.

The stock paper looks like cigarette paper impregnated with something..

Bent the headband and done suspension mod using stock earpads as padding. Indeed more comfortable, though requires some adjustment after putting phones on head. I had no problems with stock in terms of comfort though. What came as positive surprise is improved sound, probably due to better seal, which makes both sides more equal.

Users who are viewing this thread

• drof
Back