Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Apr 22, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #7,786 of 11,345

Quote:
Super. I'd love to hear what kind of microfiber you used. I put some microfiber on the back of my drivers (on top of the white cloth) and got some pretty good sound out of them. This post shows the type of material I used.

My microfiber looks identical to yours from what I can tell without measuring. I got it off Amazon, and I can go look it up if you'd like.

Otherwise, the other mods I've included in my current setup have been described elsewhere, specifically:
  1. Cup lining: Two strips of AcoustiPack lining the bottom halves of both cups and 1 cm strips of Paxmate lining the walls of the central well of the cups directly behind the driver. 
  2. Cup fill: ~2cm-thick absorbent cotton to fill the central well of the cup.  
  3. Baffle mass loading: The compartments of the baffle are flush-filled with tungsten putty.
  4. Ear side of baffle: B-Quiet (Dynamat equivalent) covering the entire baffle, except over the driver opening. The B-Quiet is covered with adhesive craft felt. Stock dust cover remains over the driver but I removed it from the rest of the driver before applying the B-Quiet.
  5. Pads: Fischer 003 pads.
  6. Recable: Double entry with Canare mini starquad.
  7. Baffle holes (one open per cup), cup vents (felt covered) and driver covering (white material) are all stock.

My headphones as of now are very, very similar to yours. The key difference is the lack of cup filling and your acoustipack lining. I think I'll copy some of your ideas. I think some of it is excessive, though.

I do think that the microfiber cloth sounds very nice, although I have nothing to compare it to other than my recollection of the stock sound.

edit: Oh and how did you get your 003 pads attached? Are you using the leather or cloth pads?

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #7,787 of 11,345

Quote:

My microfiber looks identical to yours from what I can tell without measuring. I got it off Amazon, and I can go look it up if you'd like.

Yes, please. I see Amazon sells a number of types and I'd like to know the specific one you used. The store I bought mine at several months ago no longer stocks it. 

Quote:
My headphones as of now are very, very similar to yours. The key difference is the lack of cup filling and your acoustipack lining. I think I'll copy some of your ideas. I think some of it is excessive, though.

You could be right. My current configuration includes some mods that sounded good several iterations ago but may not contribute to the current configuration. I think these mods are multifactorial...change one thing and you can expect to change some others.

Quote:
edit: Oh and how did you get your 003 pads attached? Are you using the leather or cloth pads?

I describe it in this post. I'm using the (p)leather pads. It helps to leave the corners until last when you mount the pads. I think it's related to the bias of the fabric backing on the "flap."

My current set of 003 pads has nicks and one outright tear. I'm working up the guts to replace the torn flap with neoprene. (I don't have a spare set of 003 pads and getting a new set could be time consuming, hence my reluctance to get in there with some scissors and start cutting.)  

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #7,790 of 11,345
Never mind.
I did it already 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #7,791 of 11,345
bachiano,
How have you done that? I'm too interested in pulling the driver out, opening it and doing some stuff on inside sometime, but I was quite afraid of locking these two taps as they're quite short and stiff..

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #7,792 of 11,345
I have a suggestion, could people who mod and tune these headphones provide a sample music that they use?

I'd like to get 30sec clips for testing "by-ear" for lows, mids and highs.
You can PM me and I'll put it on my server or upload to any file sharing site.

I think this would help with having a common ground since the quality of recordings vastly differs.

We probably should get different styles, at least classical, rock, jazz.

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #7,793 of 11,345
I've taken the driver on and off a few times. You just need to flex the baffle and it will snap out.
Quote:
bachiano,
How have you done that? I'm too interested in pulling the driver out, opening it and doing some stuff on inside sometime, but I was quite afraid of locking these two taps as they're quite short and stiff..

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #7,794 of 11,345

Quote:
bachiano,

I just nibbled at it very carefully with a really sharp chisel.
And I mean sharp. Cutting hair sharp.

You could probably use and exacto knife or a single edge razor blade.
I prefer the chisel because it gives you more control.

BTW - I only removed one tab and slid the driver sideways and up.
I'm considering removing the other one to make assembly easier.
But leaving the one tab helped to mount the driver for testing without having to screw it in.

Here is a pic:

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #7,795 of 11,345

Quote:
I have a suggestion, could people who mod and tune these headphones provide a sample music that they use?

I think this would help with having a common ground since the quality of recordings vastly differs.

I just started having fun with modding so I'm still searching for music to do just that.
Haven't settled on anything yet.

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #7,797 of 11,345

Quote:
I've taken the driver on and off a few times. You just need to flex the baffle and it will snap out.

Thanks, will try it sometime. I tried to but to me the baffle felt somewhat too stiff for that.. I decided not to risk it, not the first time for sure.

Quote:
I just nibbled at it very carefully with a really sharp chisel.
And I mean sharp. Cutting hair sharp.

Thanks! I'd rather prefer an non-destructive method though.
I doubt you could crack the driver by bending the baffle, it's too thick and tough.. The baffle itself is a bit suspicious though.

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #7,798 of 11,345

Quote:

You have to know what something is supposed to sound like to be able to know how your headphones recreate the sound.
There are things like pink/white/brown/whatever colour noise, sine/freq. sweeps, and things of that ilk to test dips and peaks.
As far as testing how they sound, just listen to songs you know e.g. testing sub-bass put on some dubstep, testing mids put on a vocalist you know well, etc.
There's no point in us uploading/mentioning music we know well, because if you have no reference it's much harder.
Just use some songs you know that have the element you're trying to assess e.g. low, mid, high. Timbre, seperation, PRaT, etc.

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #7,799 of 11,345
First, we have other headphones which can be used as "reference". I have some music that I used for this but I'm not even sure if the original recording was properly recorded. I use speakers sometimes to verify the quality.
Second, having a common testing material would help newcomers as well. I would definitely want a quality properly recorded sample of "highs with cymbals". It is much easier to download a 30 sec sample that trying to find a song that everyone listens to. I for example have at least a dozen of Abbey Road versions and even more Dark Side of the Moon :wink:

Apr 23, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #7,800 of 11,345

Quote:
First, we have other headphones which can be used as "reference". I have some music that I used for this but I'm not even sure if the original recording was properly recorded. I use speakers sometimes to verify the quality.
Second, having a common testing material would help newcomers as well. I would definitely want a quality properly recorded sample of "highs with cymbals". It is much easier to download a 30 sec sample that trying to find a song that everyone listens to. I for example have at least a dozen of Abbey Road versions and even more Dark Side of the Moon :wink:

3 weeks ago I ordered Chesky Records: "Various Artists - The Ultimate Demonstration Disk"  Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, some jazz recordings, and their 5.1 Ultimate Demo disk.  The 30-second samples of Vol. 2 sound excellent on my modded sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back