Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Apr 22, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #7,771 of 11,345
At the time I couldnt find any 003 pads so LFF recommend Hifiman.  First thing I did was taking out the headband.  Even though it was a tighter seal with them it was too uncomfortable.  Any of you guys can point me in the right direction for some 003 pads?

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #7,773 of 11,345

Quote:
At the time I couldnt find any 003 pads so LFF recommend Hifiman.  First thing I did was taking out the headband.  Even though it was a tighter seal with them it was too uncomfortable.  Any of you guys can point me in the right direction for some 003 pads?

If you don't mind a long wait, you can buy HM5 pads (exactly identical to the FA-003 pads) from MP4nation. That is where I sourced mine.
I heard from other people on this thread that you can buy directly from the manufacturer. Not sure on the waiting time for that.

Also, please be aware of how difficult it is to put these ear pads on. It has been done, but many people find it difficult to do without tearing the lining. I know that LFF relied on his wife's sewing ability to attach the pads to socks. I tried to ask the same of my significant other, but she just scolded me and said that I'm probably just as good as her in sewing. 
confused_face(1).gif

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #7,774 of 11,345
Quote:

LFF tuned your T50RP for the Hifiman pads, so they might not sound as good with the FA-003 pads. I could be wrong, though.

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #7,777 of 11,345
Earpads have a huge effect on the sound.  You can't change earpads and expect them to sound the same without some changes elsewhere.  And 003 pads have a very unique shape. 

This is something that has been repeated over and over by every person who has shared mods...

Apr 22, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #7,778 of 11,345
I know this, but there's nothing saying LFF didn't tune them with FA-003 pads and then chuck on some hifiman pads for Neo.
You can change earpads and expect them to sound the same period. Different earpads will change things uniquely, there's no point using one earpad in an attempt to recreate the sound you can get from another.
If Neo was planning to use FA-003 pads, I assume it's something he would have discussed with LFF.

Apr 22, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #7,779 of 11,345
Howdy gang, long time no see.

I finally spent a day or two mending my broken headphones, and my T50RP are back in action. They used to be overdamped, so I took out most of my dynamat tar, and I added some microfiber cloth to the back of the driver since I didn't have any felt. I also replaced the cable because that was what broke before.

I must have done something right, these sound fantastic. Like a closed HD650. Much better than before. I'm going to have to spend some serious time thinking of how to improve the sound. Perhaps more sub-bass. I think I would need leather pads for that though. Maybe I need to glue down the 003 pads. edit: There's a peak in the treble. I think it needs more felt.

I missed well over a thousand posts, but I did see Tyll's headphone challenge. Did LFF ever post what he did to achieve his results? 

Apr 22, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #7,781 of 11,345

Quote:

I've got to tell you, you deserve a big thank you for doing that.  Usually, we get a lot of lightweights in this thread that are thrown off by the number of pages and want to simply post a question on what modifications are advised so they can move right into the modification process.  I think in doing that, one really misses out on reviewing what other modification opportunities exist with these headphones.  To fully appreciate them, one needs to see where they started and how far they've come.

Thanks wje 

For the pat in the back :)

Apr 22, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #7,782 of 11,345
Its true that LFF did recommend me to use the Hifiman and I believe he tuned them with Hifiman.  I could try the 003 in the future and if I dont like it, i can always get more from Hifiman.  Thanks for all for the recommend of mp4nation.   I remember reading in a thread that stuffing tissues around the pad, like in between the pads and ring it can make them push out and make the impression of been thicker.  Maybe that way it feels more comfy and hope it doesnt change the sound much. 

Apr 22, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #7,783 of 11,345

Quote:

I totally agree. To me (my ears), treble is one of the T50RP's biggest strengths (my pair being mostly RP2 modded, bought second-hand). It's the first thing I noticed... the detail, extension, and black space around highs, combined with smoothness and ease.  Granted, I haven't heard much at all in terms of top tier full sized cans, but my pair sounds soooooo nice in the highs.

I also have to agree, they're very well extended and smooth.

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #7,784 of 11,345

Quote:
Howdy gang, long time no see.

I finally spent a day or two mending my broken headphones, and my T50RP are back in action. They used to be overdamped, so I took out most of my dynamat tar, and I added some microfiber cloth to the back of the driver since I didn't have any felt. I also replaced the cable because that was what broke before.

I must have done something right, these sound fantastic. 

Super. I'd love to hear what kind of microfiber you used. I put some microfiber on the back of my drivers (on top of the white cloth) and got some pretty good sound out of them. This post shows the type of material I used.

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #7,785 of 11,345
You can change earpads and expect them to sound the same period. Different earpads will change things uniquely, there's no point using one earpad in an attempt to recreate the sound you can get from another.

I don't see how, every time I've changed pads the sound has changed substantially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back