Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Apr 15, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #7,666 of 11,345
How do I remove the 
dust cover felt on the ear side?

I used sand paper. More specifically, a small section of one of those sanding sponges.

Proid, I'll post better images of the microfiber material after the weekend.

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #7,667 of 11,345

Quote:
Does acoustic foam on the baffle really help a lot? Over the clay fill.

Try it and let us know! 
wink.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #7,668 of 11,345
I've got this butyl and foam combination foam, so it's not just acoustic foam and has sound deadening properties but I used 2 cut outs on my right side over the plasticine on the baffle and it definitely had an effect. I don't know how to describe it, and I didn't even cover all the plasticine but I could still notice a change. Try it yourself and see how you like it.

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #7,670 of 11,345

Quote:
I'm actually really disappointed with the T50RP's..
The highs are boring and the bass is lacking.
I'm really hoping getting different earpads will solve this.

If you have been doing a lot of mods in quick succession I might be inclined to give your ears a rest for a while. Listen to something else  and then come back to the T50's ears refreshed and try some more mods. Alternatively look at the Thunderpants thread and consider putting woodies on - its a whole new ball game and in quality terms the starting point is higher.

Another thing that makes a difference to T50's is power, not volume as such, but putting in enough electricity to move those drivers. As a pro musician I listen at quite a low level normally, but I find cranking the volume from 9 o'clock position to 12 or even 1 o'clock makes the volume just the other side of comfortable (not a lot) during loud music but the sounds do start to come alive. I run a Little Dot 1+ and an Objective O2. YMMV but you can try this.

Apr 15, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #7,673 of 11,345
And I was led to believe the T50RP's loved power and would sound significantly better when "given enough juice", now maybe the O2 just isn't powerful enough for the T50RP's, or the people I was listening to were misleading everyone.

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #7,674 of 11,345

Quote:
And I was led to believe the T50RP's loved power and would sound significantly better when "given enough juice", now maybe the O2 just isn't powerful enough for the T50RP's, or the people I was listening to were misleading everyone.

The T50rp's are easy to drive, they're just not the most sensitive cans, damping them decreases sensitivity, thus needing more power. The O2 is more than enough power, and remember, it's just an amp, if you want to improve sound get a DAC, or just replace you sound card.

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #7,676 of 11,345

Quote:
Okay, I understand that. I just don't know why people would recommend an amp when the cans can be driven from anything.

That's not entirely true.  The T50RPs can't be driven from anything.  In your case, you have an adequate sound card that is sufficient in what it does as far as amplification.  I have the Asus Xonar PCI sound card that I've been playing with off and on in my computer and have yet to find a sweet spot that's pleasing for me.  There's that, as well as some other computer noise that I'm picking up, which I need to resolve.

While the O2 doesn't color the sound, there are parts of music passages where the O2 will really help when it comes to listening.  It will provide the additional "balls" to drive through those spots in the music and hopefully, present the sound as it was intended to be heard.  Running without the amp, could lead to some distortion from pushing other devices to drive the headphones beyond their amplification powers.  Distortion can then lead to other issues - driver failure, etc.  So, in essence, it's more than just the sound you're hearing, but the current too, to properly drive your headphones.

At the moment, I'm using the HfifiMAN EF-2A hybrid, with a tube pre-stage.  Sure, it adds some color.  However, I really love what it offers and provides, and in my case, it costs less when purchased used than the O2 amp.  I've owned 3 or 4 O2 amps, so I do know what they're capable of.

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #7,677 of 11,345
I've driven them from an iPod Touch, Clip Zip, computer with stock (assuming bad quality) soundcard, 2 modern home amplifiers, and my O2.
Maybe it's just my hearing and that I'm not an audiophile, but I don't know. I'm really considering selling my O2 and putting the money towards something that will improve my sound more.

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #7,678 of 11,345

Quote:
That's not entirely true.  The T50RPs can't be driven from anything.  In your case, you have an adequate sound card that is sufficient in what it does as far as amplification.  I have the Asus Xonar PCI sound card that I've been playing with off and on in my computer and have yet to find a sweet spot that's pleasing for me.  There's that, as well as some other computer noise that I'm picking up, which I need to resolve.

While the O2 doesn't color the sound, there are parts of music passages where the O2 will really help when it comes to listening.  It will provide the additional "balls" to drive through those spots in the music and hopefully, present the sound as it was intended to be heard.  Running without the amp, could lead to some distortion from pushing other devices to drive the headphones beyond their amplification powers.  Distortion can then lead to other issues - driver failure, etc.  So, in essence, it's more than just the sound you're hearing, but the current too, to properly drive your headphones.

At the moment, I'm using the HfifiMAN EF-2A hybrid, with a tube pre-stage.  Sure, it adds some color.  However, I really love what it offers and provides, and in my case, it costs less when purchased used than the O2 amp.  I've owned 3 or 4 O2 amps, so I do know what they're capable of.

Well you can drive the cans with anything (I have run them from my iPod - which is fine but I don't sit down and say wow!) but what wje and I are trying to say is you need an amp to get the best out of the cans - then maybe wow!. The O2 does produce enough juice, whether you like the sound or not is another matter. Maybe the T50's are not for you - they don't suit everyone.

Having said that I put my T50's on ebay hours after doing my first mods thinking 'you can't polish a turd' but withdrew the sale and tried more mods and eventually did a woody one. I am glad I kept going. I was happy enough with them that I sold my Denon D7000. YMMV but you won't know unless you've tried everything.

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #7,679 of 11,345

Quote:
Okay, I understand that. I just don't know why people would recommend an amp when the cans can be driven from anything.

A lot of people on forums (including myself) use some hyperbole and sometimes say things we think we know is true, but actually isn't. And not everybody agrees at which points a better/stronger amp is useful or not in improving sound quality. Try to research as much as possible and don't put stock into the words of any particular individual. Mostly, everybody each has their own really limited and biased view of things and their answers don't necessarily reflect the truth.

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #7,680 of 11,345
My T50s are audibly different with DarkVoice 336 amp than sound cards (audigy and mac).
I didn't like the amped version with stock ones but now that I modded them to my taste, they sound amazing with an amp.

And yes, they are definitely less efficient than for example AKG 271s or AKG 701 that I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back