Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Apr 7, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #7,532 of 11,345
I think if one were to use a small amount of heat (hair dryer) with the HM5 pads, it might loose the vinyl up on the edges enough to assist with getting them on without tearing them.  As the vinyl cools, it should constrict basically back to its regular size and shape.  Just an idea ....

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #7,535 of 11,345
How intriguing! Many thanks to Tyll: his service for providing measurements will certainly be the catalyst for innovation in the DIY realm.
Congratulations to Kabeer, those AIWA orthodynamic headphones measured spectacularly! And hats off to LFF, it is now empirically true that his Paradox headphones have the best measurements of any closed headphone presented in the contest. Way to embody the spirit of this thread!

Tyll has provided us a great opportunity to have our work measured. People from the US should take advantage of this, I certainly will! In due time, I will send my pair of T50RPs with its modification materials, and along with some instructions we can see the sonic effects of each general method found in this thread, and perhaps figure out something completely novel in the process.

Again, thanks to all participants in the contest and everyone involved in pushing this thread forward. It has been a real journey to learn not just about headphones, but the greater concepts that the process has encompassed.

Apr 8, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #7,539 of 11,345

Quote:
Using them without any problem, they decrease mids and bass and.make treble prominent. 
Deepest bass appears with them. had this effect both on stock and modded cups. they are a painto put on, I had to tape them on.

I took them out of storage and tried them again, must be the tuning on mine, they just sound bad. But I digress, I put them on my D5Ks (went right on) and they sound fantastic.

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #7,541 of 11,345
That look amazing. Thank you for sharing. I know what to do with my old Beyer Pad now. :D

Quote:
What headband mod do you guys prefer to use, and why?

I trimmed down the stock rubber headband on both sides with razor knife, then snapped on the padding from a DT 990 Pro, super comfy.

Apr 8, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #7,543 of 11,345
Did you come to any conclusions about modding?
For example finding patterns in measurements that x mod does x, or things of a similar ilk.
I guess I'm just wondering what you learnt about modding since having started the contest

Apr 8, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #7,544 of 11,345
The problem is I really don't know all the details of the various phones and mods.  I figured if I take and publish the measurements, you guys will be able to figure it out and help educate me and others over time.  That's why I'm willing to keep doing it, it has to go on for a long time for people to develop a clear understanding. People have to send their cans in 3 or 4 times in order to get a personal grip on the changes they made and what it did.

One thing for sure: earpads make a difference in getting the low mid-range and bass right ... but you guys already knew that, eh?

Apr 8, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #7,545 of 11,345

Quote:
The problem is I really don't know all the details of the various phones and mods.  I figured if I take and publish the measurements, you guys will be able to figure it out and help educate me and others over time.  That's why I'm willing to keep doing it, it has to go on for a long time for people to develop a clear understanding. People have to send their cans in 3 or 4 times in order to get a personal grip on the changes they made and what it did.

One thing for sure: earpads make a difference in getting the low mid-range and bass right ... but you guys already knew that, eh?

As I read though the article, I had some questions regarding the particular modifications, too.  Some of the people who performed the modifications appeared to have documented their process to some degree.  I did note, though, that the 2nd place winner in the best sound category, LFF, didn't have a link to the modification features that were provided to his winning pair.  My mind then thought a moment and wondered if Tyll were to slightly shift one of the ear pads aside and look at the screw slots to see if LFF had applied some super glue to prevent the modified cans from being opened?  Hmm ...  
wink.gif

Putting my little jest aside, I do keep all of this in perspective as much as I can because it is a fun hobby and I want it to remain just that - FUN !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back