Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Apr 5, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #7,501 of 11,345

Quote:
yarn could work well, also shops specializing in yarn and spinning typically have the raw wool fiber sold by the ounce or pound.

A pound of wool is a lot, btw.  I could probably do 100 pair of phones with it.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 5, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #7,502 of 11,345

Quote:
1) Fully closed

2) That is the stuff.  How much?  Stuff it with about 1.5 the approximate volume.  I had to apply a little pressure to close the baffle. 

3) The paxmate is a small area between the driver edge and the ear pad.  I don't go under the pad, it messes up the response.

Cool - much appreciated!  I imagine it probably doesn't really matter, but when you say "fully closed" are you putting paxmate over the stock bass port felt, or are you in favor of removing the felt first?

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #7,503 of 11,345
Try things out for yourself man. I can understand where you're coming from but part of modding is experimenting, being creative and thinking outside the cup.
I like to leave the stock bass felt, with nothing over it, and that's just me with my set up.

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #7,504 of 11,345

Quote:
     Quote:

Cool - much appreciated!  I imagine it probably doesn't really matter, but when you say "fully closed" are you putting paxmate over the stock bass port felt, or are you in favor of removing the felt first?

I leave the felt on the port, cut the paxmate around it, and put electrical tape on the outside, which is essentially invisible but easy to remove or modify.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #7,505 of 11,345

Quote:

Get the v-moda cable.  From the one time I saw a v-moda audio cable in use, the 45-degree plug is surprisingly unobtrusive and fits nicely.

I own a v-moda iphone cable like the one that is pictured above.  My cable is quite stiff, unlike the audio cable that I saw on another head-fier's T50RP.  His cloth sleeve was softer and the cable was more pliable.  And longer I think (but maybe not).  And I already mentioned the fit into the headphone.

Quote:
Get the V-Moda. Best replacement cable I have found to date.

Thanks guys will give it a try.

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #7,507 of 11,345
Apr 5, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #7,508 of 11,345
The V-Moda Cable only with the cloth covering and 45degree plug which sells for $10 is  Only 72" or Six feet long. This is by actual measurement . LOL

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #7,510 of 11,345
Quote:
1) Fully closed

Oh, really? I didn't see that mentioned previously. Was that a recent change? And you're still getting decent bass that way?

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #7,511 of 11,345
Some configs are better closed.  Once you have wool or other damping material inside, the vents stop affecting the low bass so much, it's actually other parts of the system...  With the extra damping, the vents actually change the mid bass and also affect how smooth the top end is. 

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #7,512 of 11,345

Quote:
Some configs are better closed.  Once you have wool or other damping material inside, the vents stop affecting the low bass so much, it's actually other parts of the system...  With the extra damping, the vents actually change the mid bass and also affect how smooth the top end is. 

I would be surprised if you maximized your settings with a 100% closed system.  I found (and this might not be ALWAYS true), but it worked best to go fully closed, and then poke holes one by one until you get the flattest bass possible.  100% closed tended to suck out all the sub-bass, and give a huge midbass hump.  Poking the holes really calmed it down.

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #7,513 of 11,345
I have done another round of modding yesterday and got a much better sound.

Here are some details:
- stock pads (waiting for shure ones)
- bass ports 100% closed with a tape from outside
- moderate amount of plasticine in baffle, small holes around the driver are not filled in
- the back of the cup is lined with dynamax and foam.
- 2 medium cotton balls in each cup, spread as evenly as possible (helped with mids a lot, I was surprised)
- the felt on the ear side is cut (that brought the highs and opened mids obviously)

I think those mods have finally enhanced them to a point where they are mostly better than my AKG K701 and I can't even listen to my AKG 271 anymore.

Comparing to AKG 701s:
I listened to Beethoven 9th and T50RP had waaaay better instrument separation tighter bass and complex music is not flattened and muddied. Same applies to heavy music like metal.
Listened to some of my fav metallica tracks
701s have definitely more air, obviously being open.

So how do I tune them more to have just a bit of wider soundstage and maybe add a more air to it. Even though I understand that is not a characteristic of closed cans generally.
Probably Shure pads would help?

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #7,514 of 11,345
By the way from my experience, covering the cup bass vents with tape isn't effective.  The tape lifts slightly in a matter of minutes, especially near the edges.  This may not sound like a big deal but realize that the frequency response changes with every single 1mm diameter hole punched into a sealed cup vent. 

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #7,515 of 11,345
Shure pads help, though the whole sound signature will change too. Going from stock pads to Shure pads will give you a overall V shaped change. That is, more bass and treble and less mids. If you take off the dust cover on the Shure pads... I don't know. Might help the mids?

Forget to once again mention the apparent loss in mids is due to the stock pads being VERY mid forward. Should better be said that the stock pads are reversed V and Shure pads brings it back more normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back