Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Apr 4, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #7,441 of 11,345
Have anyone tried modded fostex with O2 amp. What was the improvement over stock or over un-amped?

Also I know it is a long shot but is there anyone using t50rps with DarkVoice 336i amp? What're your impressions?

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #7,442 of 11,345

Quote:
Have anyone tried modded fostex with O2 amp. What was the improvement over stock or over un-amped?

Also I know it is a long shot but is there anyone using t50rps with DarkVoice 336i amp? What're your impressions?

I love my T50's with the Objective 2 amp. It sounds great. However, my current favorite with the T50's is the CTH.

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #7,443 of 11,345
Not sure if anyone posted this yet, but MP4Nation is selling spare HM5/FA-003 earpads. Found it in the orthodynamic thread and can't recall seeing it posted in here.

Link

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #7,444 of 11,345

Quote:
I love my T50's with the Objective 2 amp. It sounds great. However, my current favorite with the T50's is the CTH.

Nice. I'll be getting one then, just waiting on a release of ODAC and maybe will just buy a combo if they make that available.
I'm using DarkVoice 336 myself but it overdrives the base right now. I tuned the tubes in DarkVoice to bring more base in my AKG 701s but that is not going to work with T50rp well.

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #7,445 of 11,345

Quote:
Nice. I'll be getting one then, just waiting on a release of ODAC and maybe will just buy a combo if they make that available.
I'm using DarkVoice 336 myself but it overdrives the base right now. I tuned the tubes in DarkVoice to bring more base in my AKG 701s but that is not going to work with T50rp well.

Since it is an OTL the 336 doesn't work well with 50 ohm cans, I've used traditional output transformer coupled tube amps with my orthos with great results.

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #7,446 of 11,345
Even though I recently received my own Paradox headphone (thanks, LFF!), I still have a pretty strong desire to continue modding my original T50RP. I just ordered a pair of the HM5 pads and some Acousta-Stuf. I'm hoping (and assuming) that the Acousta-Stuf will be better than cotton. I've heard it's comparable to or potentially better than fiberglass. Yes, it's expensive, but I'd rather not deal with fiberglass!

I'm also planning on picking up some adhesive Creatology craft foam as rhythmdevils suggested in the orthodynamic thread. I'm curious to see how that sounds instead of the Silverstone acoustic foam.

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #7,447 of 11,345
I've been listening with my T50RP's (Rastapants 2 modded) on an O2 as well. Much the same satisfaction/result. Great match, with plenty of clean power to drive them. I hear more detail, space, and air over my other amps, which include: Headstage Arrow 3G, uHA-120, and AMB M^3.

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #7,448 of 11,345

Quote:
Oooh that price is a bit better. Mind taking a picture of your current headband setup? I'm kind of curious as to what it looks like and I'm not quite sure I understand exactly what you did :p.

No problem.  I'll try to remember to post one when I get home tonight.  Basically though, I covered the entire bottom side of the headband with a long strip of silverstone.  Its super low profile padding but feels a whole lot better on my dome than the stock rubber.

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #7,449 of 11,345

Quote:
Even though I recently received my own Paradox headphone (thanks, LFF!), I still have a pretty strong desire to continue modding my original T50RP. I just ordered a pair of the HM5 pads and some Acousta-Stuf. I'm hoping (and assuming) that the Acousta-Stuf will be better than cotton. I've heard it's comparable to or potentially better than fiberglass. Yes, it's expensive, but I'd rather not deal with fiberglass!

I'm also planning on picking up some adhesive Creatology craft foam as rhythmdevils suggested in the orthodynamic thread. I'm curious to see how that sounds instead of the Silverstone acoustic foam.

I also ordered some, as well as acoustic wool.  I will post test results of the changes from material to material.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 4, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #7,450 of 11,345

Quote:

The CTH is a lovely match. Although it sounds very good with the V200 as well but there's just something about the  CTH and T50RP. I just need to get more tubes for the CTH one of these days when I'm not so lazy..

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #7,451 of 11,345
Quote:
I also ordered some, as well as acoustic wool.  I will post test results of the changes from material to material.

Awesome! I look forward to seeing your results.

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #7,452 of 11,345

Quote:

I've tried mine with the Objective2 amp.  Since the O2 is such a neutral amp and doesn't really provide any color to the music, I've found that it was just "OK" in my opinion.  Again, that's not a ding against the O2 at all, because the O2 is doing specifically what it was designed to do.

However, I've grown more fond of my EF-2A from HifiMAN, which is a hybrid tube amp to use with my Fostex T50RPs instead.  Granted, the HifiMAN is providing some color to the music, but to my ears, the amount of color seems "just perfect" and this is with using the stock tubes that it comes with, too.

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #7,453 of 11,345
Quote:

Awesome! I look forward to seeing your results.

Conveniently the materials arrived today so results will post tonight. I'll probably focus only on the reversible setup as their are fewer variables...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 4, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #7,454 of 11,345
Quote:
Conveniently the materials arrived today so results will post tonight. I'll probably focus only on the reversible setup as their are fewer variables...

Wait, I thought you said you had already tried this material in this post...?

Apr 4, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #7,455 of 11,345
I had a more generic polyester in an unmarked bag.  It wasn't what I thought it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back