Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Mar 13, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #6,931 of 11,345

Quote:
As long as you buy a nice unit and put in a little work, the rewards are amazing. The amount of space they take up can be annoying, but if you have the room they're a great option.

Just not my cup of tea...  The only receivers from that era I ever liked were by NAD and Rotel.  I know some people love them with phones, but they just never sounded right too me.  I prefer a mellower sound and they tend to be pretty bright...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 13, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #6,932 of 11,345

Quote:
You might check with other members and see if they'll sell the spare set.  I know it can be a pain, but imho they're worth it.

Yeah I've done that.  I'm just wondering how available they are for other people.  doesn't sound like they are a viable option for a widely used damping scheme on these phones. 

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #6,933 of 11,345
Just not my cup of tea...  The only receivers from that era I ever liked were by NAD and Rotel.  I know some people love them with phones, but they just never sounded right too me.  I prefer a mellower sound and they tend to be pretty bright...

You are correct, IMO. However, an exception to that are the 70s era McIntosh IAs. My MA6100 has a warm and even tube-like quality to it, smoothly textured, and very musical. If you ever get a chance to sample a Mac from that period it could prove interesting. Having >6wpc from the headphone out is nice too. :D

Mar 13, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #6,934 of 11,345
Quote:
Has anyone actually been able to buy 003/HM5 pads?  I've sent emails around to the places recommended here, but haven't ever heard back from anyone. 

I only heard back from a gentleman at frogbeats saying the first batch of replacement pads should have hit e-shelves in early/mid february... and I heard this back in late Jan.  Not sure what the holdup has been since then.

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #6,935 of 11,345

Quote:

Quote:
mrspeakers said:

You are correct, IMO. However, an exception to that are the 70s era McIntosh IAs. My MA6100 has a warm and even tube-like quality to it, smoothly textured, and very musical. If you ever get a chance to sample a Mac from that period it could prove interesting. Having >6wpc from the headphone out is nice too.
biggrin.gif

I have a Harmon Kardon 330B, which I bought because it supposedly has a warm tubey sound. I cant confirm the tubey part because I've never heard any that I'm aware of, but the HK does have a very warm rich, flavor to it.

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #6,936 of 11,345
is anyone driving these from speaker taps off of a receiver?

speaker outputs all the way,everyday and anytime. i like using power amps to drive headphones. i tend to like lot of 80's yamaha and h/k power amps cause they don't bend the signal like mega-buck amps of today with very little negative feedback and very well built. i love kenwood and sansui stuff as well.

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #6,939 of 11,345
kingoftown1, headphonatic,
Is the inner side of these HM5 earpads velour? I haven't seen a good enough photo of those, form what I saw, they have pleather outer side and velour ear side, right? Also, how tall and stiff they are?

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #6,941 of 11,345
If SRH840 is supposed to be considered comfortable, then I'm pretty sure the 840 pads that I ordered will be very uncomfortable for me. That or raise the pads again.
If all else fails, time for DIY earpads. Anyone care to post pictures of detached FA003/HM5 pads?
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #6,943 of 11,345
4mm of damping on the ear side of the baffle raised mine up, it did help with my abnormally large Dumbo-like ears. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back