Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Mar 11, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #6,916 of 11,345

Quote:
I need a lowcost amp/dac to my t50rp, and been looking on O2 and C&C BH. Would they botgh pair good with t50rp?

I'd you'd be willing to venture into DIY, a nice Bijou and Opus DAC is a great combination for many headphones including the T50RP.  Some claim that lower end tube amps don't sound so good with the T50RP, but the Bijou is a pretty stunning amp regardless.

It would be about $700 in parts + case + externals to build the pair (Amp and DAC) but its worth every penny and competes with the some of the real high dollar systems (because its DIY, the price for performance is swayed WAY in your favor).  However, that's only my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #6,918 of 11,345
Thanks for the reply guys!

When I thought of the O2, I would have bought it ready-to-use and not DIY as I don't have a soldering iron and my soldering wouldn't good enough for building something like that. So the Bijou would be to complicated and to expensive.

I see the O2 get alot of recommendation, so I prob need to wait until the ODAC is finished as well before buying it. If that is the best match:)

Quote:
I'd you'd be willing to venture into DIY, a nice Bijou and Opus DAC is a great combination for many headphones including the T50RP.  Some claim that lower end tube amps don't sound so good with the T50RP, but the Bijou is a pretty stunning amp regardless.

It would be about $700 in parts + case + externals to build the pair (Amp and DAC) but its worth every penny and competes with the some of the real high dollar systems (because its DIY, the price for performance is swayed WAY in your favor).  However, that's only my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #6,919 of 11,345

Quote:
Thanks for the reply guys!

When I thought of the O2, I would have bought it ready-to-use and not DIY as I don't have a soldering iron and my soldering wouldn't good enough for building something like that. So the Bijou would be to complicated and to expensive.

I see the O2 get alot of recommendation, so I prob need to wait until the ODAC is finished as well before buying it. If that is the best match:)

True but depends on your source. If you are using your headphone jack of your computer or ipod then, yea, wait for the odac version to hit the builders market. But if you have some sort of dedicated soundcard or DAC then just grab the O2 as an amp only since who knows how long the ODAC will take to get into your hands. That is if time is an issue for you. Also the odac version will not be portable due to the dac section sitting in the battery spot of the current o2.

-M

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #6,920 of 11,345
Quote:
Exactly.  In the case of paxmate, the backing has the adhesive on it and won't let air pass, so the underlying material is not actually doing it's thing to absorb much energy (except lower frequencies).  It might have solved the peakiness someone reported, but it's not really because it's like doubling the thickness of the foam, it may have more to do with the shape and volume of the resulting enclosure...

I was thinking the same thing--assuming silverstone is sold in the same concept as paxmate.
Though thinking again about it, perforating the adhesive film might be a good way to make a resonator... though ideally there should be a airspace in between (can be solved by making posts out of silverstone/paxmate to raise the 'second layer'), and the film should be more rigid.

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #6,921 of 11,345
What changes are to be expected after removal of the white paper cover on the back of the driver? Bass enhancement? What are the effects on mids and highs? Have installed plasticine, paxmate +, and fibreglass. What I am hearing is quite promising. Still I would like to have a flatter bass response, they still seem to roll off similar to stock. I know pads will change the whole thing. I am waiting for 840s and hm5's. Still I would like to know what I might expect if I remove that white thing and experiment with different covers.

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #6,922 of 11,345
Just got the V-Moda cable today and took it down to measure... 1.56 ohms (4-wire, HP3468b). Gah. Must be rather small gauge wires. I also built a cable using a Neutrik right angle mini I had, Mogami mini quad, and a Neutrik 1/4". I used my POS harbor freight dremel to enlarge the opening for the Neutrik RA. Resistance on this cable is 0.1 ohms or so (10'). Not sure what I think of the sound, though I'm not a big cable believer. I'll eventually rewire the phones for balanced. The stock internal wiring looks OK, so will use it.

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #6,923 of 11,345

Quote:
What changes are to be expected after removal of the white paper cover on the back of the driver? Bass enhancement? What are the effects on mids and highs? Have installed plasticine, paxmate +, and fibreglass. What I am hearing is quite promising. Still I would like to have a flatter bass response, they still seem to roll off similar to stock. I know pads will change the whole thing. I am waiting for 840s and hm5's. Still I would like to know what I might expect if I remove that white thing and experiment with different covers.

I asked the same question the other day, the response I got from Mr.Speakers was it changes everything. I've been reluctant to do it, but I got a little too much glue on it the other day and the paper ripped when I tried to remove what I layed over it. I've settled on some silk like fabric that was laying around, and I like it better than the stock paper covering. The bass is a lot more prevalent now, but I need to do some more tweaking, and my V-Moda cable came today to work into the mix.

The V-Moda cable also allowed me to plug them into my clip for the first time since I've had them and they dont sound bad unamped from the clip. Which makes this next question probably sound like overkill, is anyone driving these from speaker taps off of a receiver?

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #6,925 of 11,345
Are you actually plugging these into the left and right speaker outputs of a receiver?  That seems way overkill.  

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #6,926 of 11,345

Quote:

I asked the same question the other day, the response I got from Mr.Speakers was it changes everything. I've been reluctant to do it, but I got a little too much glue on it the other day and the paper ripped when I tried to remove what I layed over it. I've settled on some silk like fabric that was laying around, and I like it better than the stock paper covering. The bass is a lot more prevalent now, but I need to do some more tweaking, and my V-Moda cable came today to work into the mix.

The V-Moda cable also allowed me to plug them into my clip for the first time since I've had them and they dont sound bad unamped from the clip. Which makes this next question probably sound like overkill, is anyone driving these from speaker taps off of a receiver?

I'm sure some of the 70's receivers fans are somewhere....  I'm not one of those fans.  
beerchug.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 13, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #6,930 of 11,345
I'm sure some of the 70's receivers fans are somewhere....  I'm not one of those fans.  :beerchug:

As long as you buy a nice unit and put in a little work, the rewards are amazing. The amount of space they take up can be annoying, but if you have the room they're a great option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back