Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Feb 7, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #6,241 of 11,345
The most well-known mods are RastaPants2i and BMF V6.3(or 2). They are however irreversible as they remove the stock damping from driver, and it's very hard to do without destroying the damper.
They are not hard to implement, relatively. In order to get anything noticeable from Fostex you have to do a list of things anyway, the difference is in nuances and it's not what takes the time - it's the preparation that takes it. It took me about 3.5 hours per cup to do my modding. I've done with stock damping, but I don't have measurements - I'll be only able to measure them after 17th Feb.

There are 3 general things:
1) Killing resonances and secondary radiation - that's what mass loading the baffles (and cups) is for. 
2) Killing reflections - that's what paxmate/anything else similar is for.
3) Changing damping - this is controversial and not really sorted out with stock driver. Generally it is considered stock driver needs less additional damping, as stock paper already provides a lot.

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #6,242 of 11,345

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion.  I might just head to Best Buy for my next project to buy some more.  I wonder if they'll accost me and try to sell me an extended warranty on the Dynamat??  
biggrin.gif

Looking through their stock, looks like this is the one that I saw:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynamat+-+Xtreme+10%22+x+10%22+Speaker+Dampening+Sheets+(2-Pack)+-+Aluminum/Black/4140361.p?id=1138087836027&skuId=4140361&st=dynamat&cp=1&lp=12

...maybe.

I hope they don't try to sell you an extended warranty for it. :p  At least I've never had them try to sell me an extended warranty for a chocolate bar, so I hope they understand the difference between consumables and things that actually need warranties.

Feb 8, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #6,243 of 11,345
Read here for a list of simple lmods:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/5745#post_8037638

Quote:
Hi everyone, I'm sure you get this a lot, but I'm looking to buy a pair of these bad boys and honestly once I get them I don't even know where to start. It's a little overwhelming starting the research process for these since there are 416 pages of posts scattered with tutorials, notes, etc. I managed to find the 'wiki' for all of the mods, but it's just like looking at a long list of random things haha. Basically I want to know where to start for doing a relatively easy and cheap mod that is well accepted by the community. I don't know what everyone considers top of the line of the 30+ mentioned mods in the wiki, what pads to choose, etc. I'm just looking for the best available mods for cheap & relatively simple. Also is there any sort of kit I can buy that has all of the materials for a particular mod, and if not, where do I purchase all of these things? Thanks a lot

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #6,244 of 11,345
Found out the cause of disbalance between left and right channels - it was due to bass lenses. I've made them out of self-adhesive felt, and one of them was only half adhesive, while the second one was completely adhesive and thus impenetrable. So using self-adhesive felt for bass lenses is a FAIL surely. Without them, highs are much, much more prominent and sensitivity is much higher. Will experiment with non-adhesive felt and thin slices of paxmate, but that's later. Now I''m listening to great phones.

By the way, I have tried running higher frequencies, and even 19.8 kHz was possible to hear - barely, but still.

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #6,245 of 11,345

Quote:
I don't think we are on the same page. I don't mean that the sound signature is fatiguing. There is something fatiguing to me but it is not something that is inaudible. I said my left ear is fatiguing because the headphone is playing TWO FEET AWAY FROM ME at my left and I still find it fatiguing without even wearing it. And obviously I can't be listening at too loud because the headphone is not even on my head. I suspect my system is generating sound pressure that is above my audible frequency range that isn't suppose to be there.

I know, sorry for talking ambiguously vague and seemingly off-topic. Bad habit of mine.

Thought here I was wondering how come my music sounds duller lately, seems I can no longer hear above 16k :S shock. Seems to be a pretty recent change too!
Or probably just need to change filters on the re0 again...

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #6,246 of 11,345
You can get this one with a smaller 4" x 10" sheet for $14.99 if that is enough for your project.

Quote:
Looking through their stock, looks like this is the one that I saw:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynamat+-+Xtreme+10%22+x+10%22+Speaker+Dampening+Sheets+(2-Pack)+-+Aluminum/Black/4140361.p?id=1138087836027&skuId=4140361&st=dynamat&cp=1&lp=12

...maybe.

I hope they don't try to sell you an extended warranty for it. :p  At least I've never had them try to sell me an extended warranty for a chocolate bar, so I hope they understand the difference between consumables and things that actually need warranties.

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #6,247 of 11,345
Anyone have problems with the stock cable on the headphone side? When mine is in the locked position the left side gets staticy but is fine when unlocked. 

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #6,248 of 11,345

Quote:
Anyone have problems with the stock cable on the headphone side? When mine is in the locked position the left side gets staticy but is fine when unlocked. 

Deoxit is your friend.  I bought some and wiped the jack contacts (inside and out) and also the headphone cable plugs with it.  Have to get rid of some minor corrosion.

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #6,249 of 11,345
Even on a brand new set? Just got them in the mail an hour ago. Seems to work fine if I lock the cable in upside down though. 

Feb 8, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #6,251 of 11,345
Anyone experienced a truly life-altering change in sound from adding the dynamat in the cup bottoms?  It's the only main mod I've yet to try but at this point would mean scraping all the silverstone out and reapplying over the top of the dynamat which I'm somewhat dreading.  So I'm looking for some justifications not to do it, honestly.

Feb 8, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #6,252 of 11,345

Quote:
Even on a brand new set? Just got them in the mail an hour ago. Seems to work fine if I lock the cable in upside down though. 

Deoxit is essentially mandatory.  Junk connector.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 8, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #6,253 of 11,345
I have never had a problem with that ^  
blink.gif
  climate?

-M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back