Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Feb 1, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #6,061 of 11,345

Quote:
The "cookies" that you made, the material is very thin, it looks like it is going to absorb only the highest of highs, and may be diffuse some lower trebles (diffusion is pretty much meaningless in enclosure this small), and would likely do nothing for other frequencies. No offence, but I suggest you do some reading on acoustic treatment rather than keep shooting in the dark.

Probably worth a shot, though I did a basic treatment with plasticine and foam I'm still very much in my "throw things I have around the house in there and hope it works" phase.

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #6,062 of 11,345

Quote:

Here is what my suspension band SHOULD look like. The DIY guide was on how make the basic support system out of relatively inexpensive materials and then use something to cover them up. I have had dozens of people try this out with my personal pair and not one of them complained about the looks nor the lack of comfort. I did try the Senn pad and many other types of mods to improve comfort and the suspension mod beats them all by a mile. Also notice that the rods have been pulled nearly all the way down and that the headband has been bent a little to provide better support. 

Just how comfortable is the suspension mod? I have two co-workers who have implemented the suspension headband and the Paradox is the only headphone they can wear all day (7 hours+) and not feel the need to remove it or feel the slightest bit of inconvenience.

If the suspension headband looks bad or doesn't improve on comfort, it's because it was not properly implemented but regardless of how it looks...comfort will be the best IMHO.

EDIT: High res pic here.

That is an awesome headset mod of the T50RP.  If I gamed as much as I used to, I would love to try this mod as well!

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #6,063 of 11,345
Quote:

Here is what my suspension band SHOULD look like. The DIY guide was on how make the basic support system out of relatively inexpensive materials and then use something to cover them up. I have had dozens of people try this out with my personal pair and not one of them complained about the looks nor the lack of comfort. I did try the Senn pad and many other types of mods to improve comfort and the suspension mod beats them all by a mile. Also notice that the rods have been pulled nearly all the way down and that the headband has been bent a little to provide better support. 

Just how comfortable is the suspension mod? I have two co-workers who have implemented the suspension headband and the Paradox is the only headphone they can wear all day (7 hours+) and not feel the need to remove it or feel the slightest bit of inconvenience.

If the suspension headband looks bad or doesn't improve on comfort, it's because it was not properly implemented but regardless of how it looks...comfort will be the best IMHO.

EDIT: High res pic here.

Vodka + insomnia = I ordered two HD 580 headband cushions late last night.  Waking up this morning, I didn't regret my purchase, until I read LFF's post.  I still think I would like the HD 580 pad because it is really kinda sexy.  But now you've got me thinking about using the pad in a suspension mod.  I'd be sitting at the Bay Area meet with an AKG and two Fostexes that look like they want to be AKGs.  Oh the fanboyism!

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #6,064 of 11,345
I did briefly try the suspension mod but found that the headband flopped back and forth distractingly whenever I tilted my head up/down.  Have other people experienced this or did I really screw up a mod as simple as paper+hair scrunchies?

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #6,065 of 11,345

Quote:
I did briefly try the suspension mod but found that the headband flopped back and forth distractingly whenever I tilted my head up/down.  Have other people experienced this or did I really screw up a mod as simple as paper+hair scrunchies?

You screwed it up...

Look at my picture above...the mod DOES NOT only consist of paper. The paper& elastic is the main support but it still requires a cover.

That said...I can walk around with mine and it does not move much....

Quote:
Vodka + insomnia = I ordered two HD 580 headband cushions late last night.  Waking up this morning, I didn't regret my purchase, until I read LFF's post.  I still think I would like the HD 580 pad because it is really kinda sexy.  But now you've got me thinking about using the pad in a suspension mod.  I'd be sitting at the Bay Area meet with an AKG and two Fostexes that look like they want to be AKGs.  Oh the fanboyism!

If you are going to the Bay Area meet, I might be sending along a pair of my Paradox....

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #6,066 of 11,345

Quote:
You screwed it up...

Look at my picture above...the mod DOES NOT only consist of paper. The paper& elastic is the main support but it still requires a cover.

That said...I can walk around with mine and it does not move much....

Well I figured it out, it wasn't to do with the paper... the elastic wasn't stretched nearly tightly enough, so there wasn't enough tensile strength to keep the band on top from flopping around and trying to fall off my head.  Now the band still flops a little but the elastic pulls it back before it can try that falling-off business.

Actually it clamps tighter than stock now... nice.

Feb 1, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #6,067 of 11,345
Another T50RP mod, simple, fully reversible and to my ears, sounds AMAZING :

Ingredients:

14.5 grams modeling clay for each cup
Hot glue as needed
FA003 Pads or similar
Rubber sheet stickers ( 0.5 mm )
20 minutes of free time

Preheat your amp to 150 degrees C

* Open up your fostex headphones.
* Fill each speaker baffle with the modeling clay ( see picture ).
* Create a ring of modeling clay around the speaker baffle to seal the cup later.
* Remove the black felt pieces on the vents.
* Use your hot glue gun to seal the vents, wire entrance and headband pivoting axis entrance.
* Close your headphones.
* Use a few round pieces of sticky rubber sheet to seal the speaker vent port ( on the front ) and all screw holes.
* Stick on your pads and rock on.

Connect to your preferred amp ,turn the heat up and serve with your favorite artists

The Result:

Nice flat bass response ! 

Please compare it to Tyll's measured response 

Enjoy
atsmile.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #6,068 of 11,345

Quote:

Ingredients:

Hot glue as needed
FA003 Pads or similar
20 minutes of free time

* Create a ring of modeling clay around the speaker baffle to seal the cup later.
* Use your hot glue gun to seal the vents, wire entrance and headband pivoting axis entrance.
* Close your headphones.
* Use a few round pieces of sticky rubber sheet to seal the speaker vent port ( on the front ) and all screw holes.

Connect to your preferred amp ,turn the heat up and serve with your favorite artists

The Result:

Enjoy
atsmile.gif

Interesting!

Feb 1, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #6,070 of 11,345

Quote:

Ingredients:

Hot glue as needed
FA003 Pads or similar
20 minutes of free time

* Close your headphones.

The Result:

Enjoy
atsmile.gif

Can't really compare it because the measurements were done on different systems....

Feb 1, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #6,072 of 11,345
 iowercase,
I only have one suggestion, try to make a stack of cardboard cookies out of different cardboard.Thicker sheets with larger cells for close-to-driver cookie, thinner sheet for further ones.

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #6,073 of 11,345

Quote:
Can't really understand why people would go for suspension if adequate padding is available. Here's another pick of my set

http://spares.sennheiser.co.uk/pro-audio-headphones/hd-215-ii/headband-padding-hd215.html
and this works just as well.  
http://spares.sennheiser.co.uk/pro-audio-headphones/hd-205-ii

ref previous post
http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/5895#post_8080404

A piece of soft foam, some black fabric and double sided tape will also do nicely, I guess 

100% agree, very cheap , this little adhesive cushion is really easy to apply and makes a considerable difference comfort wise, the cans seem to "sit" more securely also. 

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #6,074 of 11,345
So, the first mod attempt at T20-mk2.
Put on an Beyer gel earpad. Only the left one so far. Really not easy to put on, very small lips, very hard to stretch and diameter just a little less than larger axis of Fostex cups. Took four attempts to put on!
First attempt was to fold the lips backwards over the earpad, press the pad against the cup and roll them over the cup. Unsuccessful, was only able to put about 50%.
Second attempt was pretty much the same, maybe up to 70%. Noticed that the lips got stretched somewhat.
Third time, I heated the pad by placing it on a radiator. They're much more stretchable when they are hot indeed. Still, maybe about 85% coverage.
Fourth time, I decided to stretch it manually. Get a hold of the lip and base/lip seam with one hand, and the same with another hand 1 cm away, then pull your hands apart. It does stretch a little! Then move to the next cm. Made it around the whole pad that way, and finally managed to get it on, had to even use teeth to pull the last bit. I think it would be best done with four hands and having some non-sharp tweezers to put on last bits of the earpad. Left the pad on 'phone to stretch. My fingers ache now, so I won't put the second pad on today.

Sonicwise, it's hard to say. My T20s are otherwise totally stock now, I thought they would be badly sounding, but they're not, at least to me. Surely, however, they are very dark, with emphasis on bass and good bass detail, and so low in highs that woman voices sound as if they all have running nose. Of course, it's not very efficient to compare that way, but some things are obvious. Mids and bass are reduced on Beyers - perceived volume is lower on them and imaging is shifted to other side. However, highs are brought into existence - some stuff is now only heard on Beyer ear, which was completely unnoticeable on stock. Plus the very deepest bass rumble, more felt than heard, appears only on Beyer ear.

Of course, that is hardly any useful information, besides putting them on. Will mod properly on holidays and listen to.

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #6,075 of 11,345
For some reason my inner ear feel strained while listening to these. I thought I was listening too loud and I lowered the volume, until it is really quiet and it's hard to hear the details (the dark sound doesn't help too), and I still have the same sensation. I could listen to louder volume with other phones that I have and not feel strained.

I have the same feeling when I plug my K501 straight into an iMac, albeit less so. I wonder if there are distortion outside the audible range and I am sensitive to it? The jitter believers also believe that distortion from jitter made listening strained. The phone has about 50 hours on it btw.

Somewhere earlier in this thread, there is someone that listens so much to these during modding and his ears was ringing, and someone told him he was probably listening to it for too loud. I wonder, if he is experiencing the same thing? I haven't even mod mine yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back