Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jan 17, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #5,851 of 11,345
For your BMF mod, would adhesive felt work on the back cup instead of paxmate, or does the difference with paxmate make much more of a change?

Quote:
steelle

search the forum for my post with pictures on how to remove the stock white driver dampener in one piece. You can save it and glue it back on later, if you want to go back to stock.  Basically, use many small dabs of acetone to loosen the adhesive and use a sharp x-acto chisel blade to separate the dampener from the grid. 

good luck

Jan 17, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #5,852 of 11,345
Quote:
For your BMF mod, would adhesive felt work on the back cup instead of paxmate, or does the difference with paxmate make much more of a change?

Paxmate is more specifically designed for sound absorption and a small amount of dampening than adhesive felt. While felt is probably better than the bare plastic in the cups, I'd go for the Paxmate or Silverstone acoustic foam.

Jan 17, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #5,853 of 11,345
or try the Acoustipak foams. Silverstone just OEM's from others anyhow so unless you know where they get it from you have no idea if it's any good comparatively to other products that do their own .
The 3 layer Acousti will absorb quite a lot as it's denser layer is in the center and decoupled from the surface.  I found it to work pretty good, almost too good, and had to remove some because the sensitivity of the SFI's went way down. They make their own and have lab tests results you can check out.( it doesn't stink either )

I'm going to order another sheet ( 17 x 18 in ) I figure if you're going to all the trouble to get these things tuned do it with the best quality stuff you can at the time so it won't bother you later down the road.
enjoy.

Jan 17, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #5,854 of 11,345

Quote:
Quote:

Paxmate is more specifically designed for sound absorption and a small amount of dampening than adhesive felt. While felt is probably better than the bare plastic in the cups, I'd go for the Paxmate or Silverstone acoustic foam.

Quote:
or try the Acoustipak foams. Silverstone just OEM's from others anyhow so unless you know where they get it from you have no idea if it's any good comparatively to other products that do their own .
The 3 layer Acousti will absorb quite a lot as it's denser layer is in the center and decoupled from the surface.  I found it to work pretty good, almost too good, and had to remove some because the sensitivity of the SFI's went way down. They make their own and have lab tests results you can check out.( it doesn't stink either )

I'm going to order another sheet ( 17 x 18 in ) I figure if you're going to all the trouble to get these things tuned do it with the best quality stuff you can at the time so it won't bother you later down the road.
enjoy.

Thanks guys!  I'll be ordering one of those dampening foams and maybe the shure 840 pads.  For the time being... I raised my current stock pads by getting some black felt.. cutting it into 8 1/2" strip length wise and rolling them up... then curved the felt tube roll underneath the pads.  Seems to work pretty well and looks better than tissue paper.

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #5,855 of 11,345
I really need to write my English essay, but I'll write this quickly...

I ordered the modding pack from ebay a couple weeks ago and it just came today, I did a combo mod of the BMFv? and the Rastapants 2i without any tweaking and these now sound so amazing.

Once I equ'ed it, I was like 
basshead.gif
L3000.gif
dt880smile.png

YES, ALL OF THOSE AT ONCE

I'll elaborate once this essay is done...

SO AMAZING

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #5,858 of 11,345

Quote:
Apparently cedarpants custom headphones are now for sale on eBay for $200.00. If I was smeggy I'd feel insulted.

He'd probably be even more insulted if they weren't sad, ugly imitations.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #5,861 of 11,345
I've had this guy do some recabling for me. He's given me solid service at a very fair price. I think what you're getting for $200, though maybe not quite as nice as Thunderpants, sounds like a pretty good deal to me. You could even further mod them if you wanted to, I suppose. 

Has anyone heard these?

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #5,862 of 11,345
But damn if those wooden posts don't look strange haha!

I like the price a lot though.

Also, I've started to use lead tape for the mass loading. I had a lot sitting around from tennis, and some others might have it from golf... But it's super dense and doesn't add as many little quirks to the sound as fatmat or plasticine IME.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #5,863 of 11,345

Quote:
I've had this guy do some recabling for me. He's given me solid service at a very fair price. I think what you're getting for $200, though maybe not quite as nice as Thunderpants, sounds like a pretty good deal to me. You could even further mod them if you wanted to, I suppose. 

Has anyone heard these?

This thread owes a lot to Smeggy and the time and effort he invested in this driver.  Smeggy's generously shared his work with the community, and that guy is ripping it off and then undercutting his price. 

Not cool at all IMO.  I hope no one buys anything from him. 

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #5,864 of 11,345
Do wooden cups really make that big a difference? I'm not sure why I'm still so skeptical, but I kind of am...

I'll have to try and make a pair of my own if they do. With my wordworking skills though, I might get laughed off the stage.
eek.gif

I get that Smeggy has a good bit to be mad about, but on the other hand this wasn't completely unforseeable... An open, un-patented design that's had its creation documented is kind of begging for "competition."

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #5,865 of 11,345

Quote:
Does it matter?  This thread owes a lot to Smeggy and the time and effort he invested in this driver.  Smeggy's generously shared his work with the community, and that guy is ripping it off and then undercutting his price. 

Not cool at all IMO.  I hope no one buys anything from him. 

I'm curious as to what is 'ripped off'. You also laid into the Koda^2 for "borrowing so many of Smeggy's ideas". I haven't followed the lineage of every T50RP mod, so I'm curious what mods (other than the general idea of custom cups) these cans have borrowed too much from Smeggy's work. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back