Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 4, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #3,466 of 11,345
What works best for me is to have a reference set like a stock set of T50RP's, a favorite modded set, or LCD2's for comparison with my current modding analysis.  I choose 3 or 4 songs of different genres that I know very well.  I sound level match my reference and test cans with my SPL adapter for each song so I know where to set the volume knob on my Dacmini during comparisons.  I listen to certain sections that I am trying to tweak like a bass line, vocals, snares, or high hats and play the same segment for 30 to 90 seconds - and alternate from one set of cans to the other until I can discern the similarity or difference I am trying to tweak.  I repeat the process for each song and make notes when needed.  Then, I make one mod change and repeat the process...over and over and over until satisfied or frustrated.  I can open, mod, and close in 5 minutes, or less, depending on the difficulty level of the mod. Since I leave the plasticine and Paxmate mods constant, each mod is usually completed quickly. 

For example, today I compared 3M Nexcare flexible clear tape X layers X grid placement X reflex dot against my LCD2's.  Three hours later I have achieved the best I think I can accomplish with standard materials.  The LCD2's remain superior in every way from width of soundstage to airyness to clarity to bass quantity an quality.  I think I am at 85% of the LCD2's with my current mods to the T50RP's.  Considering they are semi-closed and the drivers are 1/3 the size of the LCD2's, I think that's a pretty good outcome.  In fact, if I compare stock T50RP's, the modded set sounds better and I can tell them apart when my wife does the old switcheroo test with me as the test subject.

Here's what I've got:

Plasticine and Paxmate in the usual places
Stock black bass port felt in place
Stock ear pads with 1 donut of Paxmate underneath
White driver felt removed
2 layers of 3M Nexcare flexible clear tape on entire back side of drivers
Individual squares of this tape at 2, 4, 6, and 8 grid spaces
Large reflex dot on center grid space
Stock cable

I tried every combination of tape layering and placement from 1 to 4; and 2 layers with individual grid spaces added in a cross, 2-4-6-8, 4 corners with and without the center space covered.  I think there is a curvilinear relationship with my setup and my ears: 2 layers is not enough; 3 to 4 layers is too much; and 2 layers with the 2,4,6,8 + center reflex dot = "The Goldilocks Zone."

I think I have exhausted the multiple permutations of these mods and extracted all the goodness I can; unless some of you good guys toss a banana or two!  I'm open and considering some different directions...

BMF

Quote:
I think that's an important observation. My hearing also rolls off around 14khz and this could be muddying my perceptions. I'm also wondering if I'm being to  lackadaisical in my auditioning technique. What I most commonly do is listen with mod A for an hour or so. Then I apply mod B and listen for another period of time and make my judgment after that. But I'm inconsistent in what I listen to and, because I've been listening to a lot of 60s and 70s R&B (Syl Johnson, Sly Stone, etc) the mastering is all over the place. So my baseline isn't particularly reliable. That's compounded by the fact that my SPL is initially quite different between listens, until I adjust my pots, which is throwing in some more bias. 

I'm going to have to listen longer and more intently. By I'll do it, if it's for the betterment of science :) 

Oct 4, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #3,467 of 11,345
A word of caution on the tape, guys.  Not having heard the specific configs, I can't say if it's better or worse than the RP or RP2 I'm doing, but I'll suggest this for consideration.

Materials that have changing behavior over time, such as adhesives or materials made to be disposable, like tape fabrics, are not always going to behave the same over time.  Glue may dry up and detach from the driver, or become hard and reflective and seal the pores, or flake off.  Tapes are made to last days once they come off rolls, not years.

Just saying (aside from my "been there done that bias," which could be wrong...)...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 4, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #3,468 of 11,345
Good point mrspeakers. That's why I change my oil and rotate the tires every 4000 miles or 4 months, whichever comes first.  
wink_face.gif

I am looking forward to what you've come up with!

Quote:
A word of caution on the tape, guys.  Not having heard the specific configs, I can't say if it's better or worse than the RP or RP2 I'm doing, but I'll suggest this for consideration.

Materials that have changing behavior over time, such as adhesives or materials made to be disposable, like tape fabrics, are not always going to behave the same over time.  Glue may dry up and detach from the driver, or become hard and reflective and seal the pores, or flake off.  Tapes are made to last days once they come off rolls, not years.

Just saying (aside from my "been there done that bias," which could be wrong...)...

Oct 4, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #3,469 of 11,345
Front End Audio emailed me saying their shipment has been delayed till the end of this month. And even then, it was supposed to be in at the end of last month... :/

Are these still out of stock everywhere? Some websites don't list if they are or are not. Or...anyone have an extra pair for sale?

Oct 4, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #3,471 of 11,345
Quote:

Have you tried stacking just the back of the doughnut up like I mentioned?  

Yes, my stacked foam doughnuts are slanted toward the front. 

Quote:
What works best for me is to have a reference set like a stock set of T50RP's, a favorite modded set, or LCD2's for comparison with my current modding analysis.  I choose 3 or 4 songs of different genres that I know very well.  I sound level match my reference and test cans with my SPL adapter for each song so I know where to set the volume knob on my Dacmini during comparisons.  I listen to certain sections that I am trying to tweak like a bass line, vocals, snares, or high hats and play the same segment for 30 to 90 seconds - and alternate from one set of cans to the other until I can discern the similarity or difference I am trying to tweak.  I repeat the process for each song and make notes when needed.  Then, I make one mod change and repeat the process...over and over and over until satisfied or frustrated.  
I think I have exhausted the multiple permutations of these mods and extracted all the goodness I can; unless some of you good guys toss a banana or two!  I'm open and considering some different directions...

BMF 

That is a level of thoroughness and rigour I cannot claim! 

Oct 4, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #3,472 of 11,345

Quote:
Call Performance Audio and ask if they have any left.

I had Performance Audio check their rep with me. End of October. Still no exact date.

^^
Edit; Btw Dahm,You got the last one. ===dddd Congratulations!
<<--(I'm really crying inside)>>

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #3,475 of 11,345
My original recipe wasn't using the tapes so I already have a 'backup' plan
biggrin.gif

Quote:
A word of caution on the tape, guys.

In my native tounge, 'Henyo' = Genius... and you my friend deserves that name you're using here
biggrin.gif

Quote:
5k for a headphone is economically wrong imo.

I'm just saying I feel the mainstream needs to wake up to avoid proverbial rape. (Apologies if my post only conveyed my tone)

Edit~ If I were to buy STAX I would just go to Japan!

I'm sad because I'm in the house without my Pawbulous Pawstex
frown.gif

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #3,476 of 11,345
@BMF and Mrspeakers,

Are you guys going to get FR graphs done for your 'phones? It'd be lovely to see how your mods look vs Smeggy's, LFF'sm, and Kneel Jung's (they're the only ones with FR graphs for their  modded T50RPs as far as I know). It's pretty impressive how close smeggy's looks to the LCD-2. Definitely gives you an indication of the type of sound signature he's getting.

Linky: http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

Kneel Jung's and the Thunderpants are on here.

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #3,477 of 11,345

Quote:
@BMF and Mrspeakers,Are you guys going to get FR graphs done for your 'phones? It'd be lovely to see how your mods look vs Smeggy's, LFF'sm, and Kneel Jung's (they're the only ones with FR graphs for their  modded T50RPs as far as I know). It's pretty impressive how close smeggy's looks to the LCD-2. Definitely gives you an indication of the type of sound signature he's getting.

Linky: http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

Kneel Jung's and the Thunderpants are on here.

Wait until you see the Rastapants 2. I'm pretty sure we're all going to be impressed. Heading over to check out Kneel Jungs pair. ; )

Oct 5, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #3,479 of 11,345
It would be nice, if someone could please provide pictures of the earpad mods, stuff you build to raise and angle earpads. Most people post what goes inside the cup, but not the outside.

Also, where do you apply the deoxit, to eliminate cable noise and contact loss. I actually intend to replace deoxit with spirit (alcohol).

Oct 5, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #3,480 of 11,345

Quote:
It would be nice, if someone could please provide pictures of the earpad mods, stuff you build to raise and angle earpads. Most people post what goes inside the cup, but not the outside.

Also, where do you apply the deoxit, to eliminate cable noise and contact loss. I actually intend to replace deoxit with spirit (alcohol).

People use one layer or more of Paxmate in the earside, leaving the EQ hole open. You can also stuff some cotton or something like that.

I applied the deoixit in the male plugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back