Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 3, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #3,361 of 11,345
Kids, kids, kids.... I don't post here in one day and you start fighting hehehe. We should pay more attention to the tweaking instead of throwing rubbish to others. If LFF doesn't want to share publicly his mods, it's fine. Posting in a free forum doesn't mean that you have to share all your knowledge for free.

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #3,363 of 11,345
Well, LFF, I certainly wouldn't mind a tutorial from you after the InnerFidelity competition is over, but I certainly understand if you'd like to keep it a trade secret. Not everyone is annoyed at your success :wink:

Edit: to keep it on topic, does anyone have suggestions about what type of felt specifically you use on your drivers? Linkage?

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #3,365 of 11,345
----------------- Now back to your regularly scheduled thread programming -----------------

I picked up the 3M "flexible clear" tape tonight, along with a box of Kix (just trying to be thorough  
tongue_smile.gif
) & replaced the 3M "gentle paper" tape in my T50RP.  I found, again, that 3 layers of the Flex Clear tape is the right amount.

For the sake of brevity, GP = Gentle Paper modded T50RP, FCT = Flex Clear tape modded T50RP.

Compared to my GP, the FCT took some of the hotness off the lower treble, upper midrange.  It still might fatigue from time to time (based on the quality of your source material), but I was really impressed with the control from the upper midrange through the treble.  While the GP phones had more air and sparkle up top, the FCT phones had a smoother, natural treble tone.

The midrange sounded very similar between both the GP & FCT phones, taking slightly different twists on a similar presentation.  If I had to describe the GP's midrange in a few words.. dynamic, high energy, crisp, airy.. are what comes to mind.  The FCT by contrast.. (relatively) smoother, controlled, cohesive.  The FCT phones' midrange had excellent weight lending to a more natural sound than the GP phones.  Positionally.. vocals sounded in line, if not very slightly behind the instruments on the FCT.  In contrast, vocals on the GP phones were slightly in front of the instruments (akin to a live setting).  While the GP phones midrange had a more dynamic, engaging sound, listeners could suffer from fatigue depending on the recording quality & genre.  While the FCT phones had a more constrained, controlled sound, listeners benefit from a smoother more natural tone.

The bass on the GP phones is tight, incredibly quick, and has good punch.. what it lacks is greater weight & overall presence.  The FCT phones by contrast, have a lovely, robust  bass response.  It's impressively well controlled but punchy and thick.  Quantitatively, the FCT phones have more midbass than the GP phones.  There is no overt midbass hump but one can hear midbass notes better from the FCT phones than the GP.

I found the GP phones to be more detailed, airy, and brighter overall.. The FCT phones possess a warmer, more natural, smoother, weighter sound.. with a better bass presentation than the GP phones.

I've got to hand it to BMF cause he's done a really nice job with all the different permutations, well-controlled testing methodology, and detailed reports on his results... the latest BMF variation sound fantastic.  I like it more than my GP modded phones, in fact (despite it giving up some ground on dynamic presentation).

I think BMF's T50RP mod captures all the wonderful things the T50RP can do in a very natural, cohesive overall presentation while sacrificing very little elsewhere.  It's achieved impressive control of the lower midrange spike without significantly impacting upper/mid bass presence & midrange tonality (in a negative manner).  To my ears, I'l like to tweak it to have a less constrained midrange through treble sound.

Overall though.. no real complaints.. great job, BMF!

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #3,367 of 11,345
I have some doubts about the O2 pads that the owners might help me solving them...

- Do you have removed the felt from the earside?

- Do you have put paxmate in the earside?

- What is the right position of the pads? I have seen that the inner hole isn't round, because it has a linear side. Should I put this linear side  facing down or in any other position?

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #3,368 of 11,345
Has anyone who removed the original white felt tried using the bounce sheets as a replacement?

Initial tests show it to be very good. It even smells good!

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #3,370 of 11,345
There's also a similar thing called REMAY cloth that may work, obviously I can't recall the exact transparency of it. Also known as Row Cloth to protect plants from moths and flies. Cheapo. Get it at any local garden centre or place that sells that sort of thing.  Take a look.

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #3,371 of 11,345
Row Cloth! I didn't know that it was called that. That's a great idea. I bet two folds of that would work as well.

I wish I had another T50 to mess around with.....waiting for new stock sucks.

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #3,372 of 11,345
Yeah I'm sure people call it all sorts of stuff, but it should be white and transparent. It's designed to let light through and let the stuff grow, but make a solid barrier for bugs. Just ask somebody at the stores, and if they look at you blankly after you explain the product you want, they don't know what they are doing.

Maybe someone you know has some  you can get it for free.

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #3,373 of 11,345

Quote:
Yeah I'm sure people call it all sorts of stuff, but it should be white and transparent. It's designed to let light through and let the stuff grow, but make a solid barrier for bugs. Just ask somebody at the stores, and if they look at you blankly after you explain the product you want, they don't know what they are doing.

Maybe someone you know has some  you can get it for free.

Yeah...it's cheap stuff. My mother has used it for gardening before. Just never thought about using it...that's all.

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #3,374 of 11,345
I have some doubts about the O2 pads that the owners might help me solving them...

- Do you have removed the felt from the earside?

Remove the felt on the ear-side of the baffle?  YES.

- Do you have put paxmate in the earside?

YES.. cover the ear-side of the baffle surface with Paxmate/Silverstone acoustic foam (except for the driver square, keep that part exposed).

- What is the right position of the pads?

The thicker part of the O2 pads should be positioned to sit behind your ear.

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #3,375 of 11,345
BTW, the v-moda 3.5mm replacement cable LFF mentioned a number of pages back arrived and fit PERFECTLY.  The cloth cable is really nice and strain reliefs are robust.  I heard no discernable difference in audio quality between the stock cable and the v-moda cable.

For $10, it's a solid, reliable replacement for the long stock cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back