Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Sep 28, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #2,987 of 11,345
If I understand correctly, you have removed the white driver felt from the back of the drivers

The driver back membrane is here to stay.

there is still some bit of L/R imbalance

Crosstalk, this can't be good...you could even damage your amp I believe. The first mod to make on this phone is to solder its cable directly onto the drivers IMHO.

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #2,988 of 11,345

Quote:
Hello, 

greetings from a head-fi noob though I have lurked for a while.

If anyone's interested there is a mod kit on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fostex-T50rp-super-mod-kit-includes-paxmate-newplast-/110747585352?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item19c9120b48#ht_500wt_1204

Any opinions as to whether it's good/worth it? I'm in the UK so this seems like a good option.

Anyone here actually tried it?

regards, itsastickup

For that price, you can have much more Paxmate and the same items if you buy local + amazon uk.

The ebay seller should be a clever guy that maybe would benefit from lazy users that don't want to search a bit.

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #2,989 of 11,345
The thing that has always cropped up with any material other than felt behind the driver is a strong resonant peak(s).  This was why I ruled out a reflex dot, at least a solid one.  There were strong peaks in the mids and trebles that were just not acceptable to me.  

I too have been playing with the back of the driver, and other variables.  I'm down to a very narrow band I'm trying to tune a resonance out of, and I'm pretty sure I know where it's coming from.  If I can nail that then I will consider these reference grade.

EDIT: Some Nexcare tape is on my desk to try, just for grins.  Since I have three working sets, I can easily A/B.  When I only had one pair to work on, doing tweaks was hard because you had to always remember where you came from with a long delay between listen/mod/listen cycles.  Direct A/B is way easier and more effective at isolating problem spots in the spectrum.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 28, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #2,990 of 11,345

Quote:
The thing that has always cropped up with any material other than felt behind the driver is a strong resonant peak(s).  This was why I ruled out a reflex dot, at least a solid one.  There were strong peaks in the mids and trebles that were just not acceptable to me.  

I too have been playing with the back of the driver, and other variables.  I'm down to a very narrow band I'm trying to tune a resonance out of, and I'm pretty sure I know where it's coming from.  If I can nail that then I will consider these reference grade.

Man, we are still eagerly waiting for your explanation hehehe

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #2,991 of 11,345

EDIT: Some Nexcare tape is on my desk to try, just for grins.  Since I have three working sets, I can easily A/B.  When I only had one pair to work on, doing tweaks was hard because you had to always remember where you came from with a long delay between listen/mod/listen cycles.  Direct A/B is way easier and more effective at isolating problem spots in the spectrum.

I'm very much looking forward to your findings.  Particularly what part of the driver will isolate the the hotness in the upper mids/lower treble.  Your comment on peaks in the midrange and lower treble are spot on.. exactly what had been irking me on an otherwise fabulous phone.

With the craft felt, they sounded a bit too dark, thick and warm to me (even with the vents closed).  With the 3M tape and vents covered, they're tilted the other way.. crisp, fast, airy.. but the bass slam isn't as prominent.  Puncturing holes in the cup vents brings bass impact.. but proportionally more midbass, in my experience.

The felt covering the vents provides the needed control for the (mid) bass.. the 3M tape does wonders to turn the phones more balanced, slightly brighter, and clearer.

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #2,992 of 11,345

Quote:
The driver back membrane is here to stay.
Crosstalk, this can't be good...you could even damage your amp I believe. The first mod to make on this phone is to solder its cable directly onto the drivers IMHO.

I agree. Direct solder to each driver would be heavenly for these cans.
Oh you're really making me want to give it something it deserves..
evil_smiley.gif
another One for Mr speakers mods (WAITING Patiently =d Go Mrspeakers!) and one for flysweeps.. Sooo tempted. I don't know if I could give up this textured bass.

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #2,993 of 11,345
First of all, sorry for the crappy pics, will make better ones when I finish them. This is my second revision of my mods. May I call them Fosteximus T50RPrime, in honour to my beloved Optimus Prime (they look a little bit alike him)

Disclaimer:

These mods works pretty good with my ears, my equipment and my music library. If you try them, maybe they won't suit your needs or taste.

Mods:

- Real leather suspension headband from a belt donor.
- Pure silver 1/4" jack.
- Plasticine in the baffle and the back of the cups.
- 1 mm thin craft felt over the plasticine of the cups.
- 3 mm thick covering 3 of 4 of the bass vent's holes.
- Clear plastic furniture bumper as reflex dot.

Currently testing:

- Different combinations of opening in the bass vents.

To do:

- Stax O2 black earpads.
- Remove the felt in the earside.
- Paxmate in the cups.
- Second pair totally stock to compare, keep untouched.

Benefits:

- Superb comfort. Can wear them for hours without noticing them.
- Huge 3D and airy soundstage.
- Clear, defined and quick trebles.
- Perfect mids, without being too prominent.
- Powerful bass, tight, controlled and defined, without bleeding throughout the rest of the frequencies.
- You won't buy any other headphone.

Cons:

- Totally addictive. You can get lost for hours modifying them.

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #2,994 of 11,345

Quote:
First of all, sorry for the crappy pics, will make better ones when I finish them. This is my second revision of my mods. May I call them Fosteximus T50RPrime, in honour to my beloved Optimus Prime (they look a little bit alike him)

Disclaimer:

These mods works pretty good with my ears, my equipment and my music library. If you try them, maybe they won't suit your needs or taste.

Mods:

- Real leather suspension headband from a belt donor.

The look nice!

Also...that is not a suspension headband. A suspension headband must be adjustable. That is an alternate support headband.

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #2,995 of 11,345
Yeah.. you're right, but I didn't know how to call it. I've been using that headband since I bought my first pair, it's really comfortable

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #2,996 of 11,345

Quote:
Yeah.. you're right, but I didn't know how to call it. I've been using that headband since I bought my first pair, it's really comfortable

I understand. I know those types of headbands are comfy too. There is a reason Smeggy uses them.

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #2,997 of 11,345
I agree. Direct solder to each driver would be heavenly for these cans.
Oh you're really making me want to give it something it deserves..
evil_smiley.gif
another One for Mr speakers mods (WAITING Patiently =d Go Mrspeakers!) and one for flysweeps.. Sooo tempted. I don't know if I could give up this textured bass.

Not to worry, Hennyo.. the texturing is top notch, IMO.. what you don't get is quite the bass slam of the craft felt-backed driver.  Bass is still very satisfying, rich but not quite as dominating.  I'd characterize the punch as more airy & atmospheric.. incredibly relaxing.. than an outright thump.  What you do get with the mids and treble though is truly something special, IMO.  Impeccable detail, and balance.  Like I said earlier, I had no idea the T50RP was capable of this kind of treble.  It isn't emphasized in any way.. just super detailed, airy, and spacious.  Controlling the bass a bit allows the midrange to breathe and the treble to absolutely SING.  What results is a wonderfully balanced phone that's able to delicately manage smoothness and crispness with astonishing ease.

If mrspeakers finds a way to finely tune the sub bass while keeping the midbass controlled, we've got a titan on our hands.  Plus, I really really want LFF to listen to these and see how they compare to the Paradox.  I've got a feeling his might be a touch smoother, warmer.. but I'd love to hear if I've gotten somewhere near his sig.  These sound like the 003 on the finest steroids a "HeadFi group buy" could arrange for.  
tongue_smile.gif

Listen to some well recorded jazz w/ my mods and you'll never want to take these off.

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #2,998 of 11,345

Quote:
Not to worry, Hennyo.. the texturing is top notch, IMO.. what you don't get is quite the bass slam of the craft felt-backed driver.  Bass is still very satisfying, rich but not quite as dominating.  What you do get with the mids and treble though is truly something special, IMO.  Impeccable detail, and balance.  Like I said earlier, I had no idea the T50RP was capable of this kind of treble.  It isn't emphasized in any way.. just super detailed, airy, and spacious.  Controlling the bass a bit allows the midrange to breath and the treble t absolutely SING.  What results is a wonderfully balanced phone balancing smoothness and crispness perfectly.

Listen to some well recorded jazz w/ my mods and you'll never want to take these off.

Are you planning to send them to Purrin to get them vet'd?

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #2,999 of 11,345
Are you planning to send them to Purrin to get them vet'd? 

Yes.. I want to tweak the midrange (lower midrange to be exact) a smidge more & fine tune the sub bass.  There is a very slight amount of resonance from the lower mids I'm determined to iron out.

Other than that.. these are at an end-game stage for me.  Soundstage, imaging, balance, detail, tonality, extension, accuracy.. is easily the best I've ever heard.  I'm hoping to be able to keep the treble the way it is now cause it's simply glorious.  I can't believe treble can sound this 3D, honestly.  Acoustic guitars have air and detail like I've never heard before.

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #3,000 of 11,345

Quote:

Yes.. I want to tweak the midrange (lower midrange to be exact) a smidge more & fine tune the sub bass.. other than that.. these are at an end-game stage for me.  I'm hoping to be able to keep the treble in tact cause it's simply glorious.

Endgame for you too huh?

Congratulations!

It truly amazes me what these cans are capable of in their stock housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back