Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Aug 24, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #2,191 of 11,345
I know what you mean - when I first heard the DT 990 Pros I didn't like them - a lot of bass. After a few listens they are now my favorite headphone. I love the sound stage and the bass doesn't bleed into or obscure the mids. Listening to a CD back to back with those and the T50RP I have to say that the T50RP does a much better job with the mids - especially vocals. Bob Dylan sounds much better on them. It is a shame they didn't manufacture these differently and charge more for them - but then where would the fun be in that?

I will put some foam under the headband and cover it with black stretchy fabric they make knee supports from. I may also paint the gold bars black once it is apart and adjusted for my head..

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #2,192 of 11,345
I'm listening to them right now from windows media player with the following eq settings:
31hz +4
62hz 0
125hz -2
250hz -2
500hz -2
1khz -2
2khz 0
4khz +4
8khz -4
16khz +8
Sounds better so far, but don't like to eq.  You can go half that magnitude for something more subtle not quite as balanced.  This is based on that japanese guy's response test.

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #2,193 of 11,345

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have read from page 1 to page 131 in this thread. My T50RPs came today. Can someone who has done a modded/non-modded comparison tell me if the difference is as great as people say? I need to know if I should return them - I am more disapointed than I thought Id be.

You're further along in your reading than I am. I'm still at 110. Anyway these phones are sort of a process. The T50 is a pretty big adjustment from what I'm used too. I'm pretty much a dyed in the wool Grado head. So I've questioned my motives for putting up with a sound sig that for the most part seems very congested and canny. I finally got them to where they dont sound as dark and congested, but now they might be a bit too trebley. Anyway you sort of have to commit to the process and take the journey. I've got some plasticine I can send you, if your interested shoot me a PM.

Quote:
Most complaints on sound issues go away when white felt is removed but you will have to tune the bass again.

I've been reluctant to remove that. even after I poked a little hole on the corner of one of the squares the other day. Mine are taking a circuitous route to Tyll at the moment though. He offered to measure some Grado's too. So I forwarded my 60's and T50's to another head fier to listen too. They're going to then throw their 60's into the box too, and forward the motley crew to Tyll.

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #2,194 of 11,345

all the usual, reliable suppliers seem to be o.o.s. at the current time (availability late sept?).  otoh, b&h does have the t40rp in stock at $67 w free ship (usa).
i don't recall anyone trying to mod the t40's recently in this thread although there is/was plenty of speculation that the driver is identical to the t50 driver  ... want to be the 1st? 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Got it, thanks!
 Anyone know of availability in the US?

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #2,195 of 11,345
Here are the rastapants with the O2 pads.  Verrrryyy nice pads but $$$.

I have all 3 rastas, with the 840, 5K and O2 pads in a tuning and tweaking process for the vent.  It is really essential to remove the white felt then close the vent most of the way...  They sound very similar, but there are subtle differences, which I will detail later next month.  They all have powerful but not overbearing bass, and my last nit, the mid bass peak, has now been dialed out.

I'll be sending 1 of my sets to Tyll in September.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 25, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #2,196 of 11,345

Quote:
all the usual, reliable suppliers seem to be o.o.s. at the current time (availability late sept?).  otoh, b&h does have the t40rp in stock at $67 w free ship (usa).
i don't recall anyone trying to mod the t40's recently in this thread although there is/was plenty of speculation that the driver is identical to the t50 driver  ... want to be the 1st? 
wink_face.gif

I thought of that! There were some posts saying the drivers are identical, but the felt is thicker on the T40s, and the cups are closed... If the retailers don't get stock soon, I'll have try some T40s!

Aug 25, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #2,197 of 11,345

Quote:
Here are the rastapants with the O2 pads.  Verrrryyy nice pads but $$$.

I have all 3 rastas, with the 840, 5K and O2 pads in a tuning and tweaking process for the vent.  It is really essential to remove the white felt then close the vent most of the way...  They sound very similar, but there are subtle differences, which I will detail later next month.  They all have powerful but not overbearing bass, and my last nit, the mid bass peak, has now been dialed out.

I'll be sending 1 of my sets to Tyll in September.  

So, I guess you would say that those are the best pads for the T50RP's?

Aug 25, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #2,198 of 11,345

yes ... it suggests that a bit more modding must be done on the t40's to bring it on line with t50 mod ... a dremel would be handy to make a vent (start small & test).
let us know how it works ... then watch the stocks of the t40 disappear ...muhwahahaha

iirc, someone stated that dealers will get t50 stock in late sept (?).  is that soon enough for you? ... i didn't think so ... pls try t40 & take a hit for the team ...
beerchug.gif

Quote:
I thought of that! There were some posts saying the drivers are identical, but the felt is thicker on the T40s, and the cups are closed... If the retailers don't get stock soon, I'll have try some T40s!

Aug 25, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #2,203 of 11,345
Wow, I should have waited a few weeks before selling my extra pair.  Ah, well, I would have felt like a total jerk pushing the price up, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back