Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Aug 23, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #2,178 of 11,345
I've been reading, I guess I need to spend the $$$ on a CTH. If anyone has one or knows of one for sale reasonably, PM me please.

Aug 24, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #2,180 of 11,345

Quote:
Ok so I have two pairs of these. One's being modded and one's being left vanilla. Going to do a full comparison to really see just how much of a difference modding makes.

Good idea.

Quote:

It's all placebo.

I can't tell when people are joking on this forum half the time.

Aug 24, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #2,181 of 11,345
I have read from page 1 to page 131 in this thread. My T50RPs came today. Can someone who has done a modded/non-modded comparison tell me if the difference is as great as people say? I need to know if I should return them - I am more disapointed than I thought Id be.

Aug 24, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #2,182 of 11,345
There really is that big of a difference.

First let them burn in some. Mine were still mediocre after 30-40 hours of burning in however. Then read through and start with the mods. I have had mine since November and really didn't listen to them that much. I finally got to a point I am happy with them this week. However I know there is still some room for improvement. I almost gave up on them, but am glad I didn't. I know there is a lot to wade through, but the mods to make a huge difference to my ears. They now sound much more open and have great, controlled bass. Clay in the baffles and Paxmate are needed for sure, some of the other more subtle mods will be a matter of personal preference.

Aug 24, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #2,183 of 11,345
I listened some of Roger Waters' Amused to Death, and the voices sound incredible, but the rest of the sound is like a cheap headphone - it just sounds off - but I see why people like these now - very natural sounding vocals -  they are burning in now.

Aug 24, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #2,184 of 11,345
What about just line the inside with thick, furry white wool like what's-his-face did with the Aiwas and add some thick cushions?

What are the cheapest really thick cushions you could put on these? I know cushions make a difference, because putting Ultrasone/Ortofon cushions on the Ixos improved them.  I'm willing to at least try that at first.

Aug 24, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #2,186 of 11,345
I ordered them two weeks ago from Long & McQuade in Canada - you can order them online or in store. They say shipping is 10 - 12 business days. I have been reading this thread 30 min a night ever since I ordered them. The website they have for Canada is super up to date. I saw they had one Behringer guitar pedal at my local store, bought it, got home, and it had been updated to 0 available in my store. Very good service - not always the cheapest.

I hope they respond well to my modding, once they are open I can't return them. I will go to my local craft store for plasticine and my local pc shops to beg for scraps of acoustic foam. If I can fix the highs and lows these will be very nice.

Aug 24, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #2,187 of 11,345

Quote:
I ordered them two weeks ago from Long & McQuade in Canada - you can order them online or in store. They say shipping is 10 - 12 business days. I have been reading this thread 30 min a night ever since I ordered them. The website they have for Canada is super up to date. I saw they had one Behringer guitar pedal at my local store, bought it, got home, and it had been updated to 0 available in my store. Very good service - not always the cheapest.

I hope they respond well to my modding, once they are open I can't return them. I will go to my local craft store for plasticine and my local pc shops to beg for scraps of acoustic foam. If I can fix the highs and lows these will be very nice.

Got it, thanks!
 Anyone know of availability in the US?

Aug 24, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #2,188 of 11,345
Gigantic difference after the mods, the bass really comes out after the mods.  I am still struggling with the highs right now, and I am not that sure what to do next.

Mods done:
1) Stuffed the baffle with modelling clay
2) Ripped out that felt that covered the vent
3) Covered the vent with nashua tape, then cut open a slit
4) Damped the cups with dynamat
5) Stuck paxmate over the dynamat
6) Changed pads to Sony SA5K pads

Things I am considering doing:
1) Replace that white cloth behind the drivers with felt
2) Stuff acoustic foam inside the pads to make it plusher, and hopefully give it a little more seal
3) Put on new headbands/put some foam on the headbands
4) Change cables (probably the last thing to do, as this is the most expensive mods after the pads.

Aug 24, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #2,189 of 11,345
Most complaints on sound issues go away when white felt is removed but you will have to tune the bass again.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 24, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #2,190 of 11,345

Quote:
I have read from page 1 to page 131 in this thread. My T50RPs came today. Can someone who has done a modded/non-modded comparison tell me if the difference is as great as people say? I need to know if I should return them - I am more disapointed than I thought Id be.

To me, the biggest adjustment was "time in your head". Moving from hd580 to these headphones at first they didn't sound right. Now moving from the T50RP to the HD580, the HD580 doesn't sound right. By looking at the published response charts of the T50RP, they have a valley at 5 KHz. I used an equalizer and boosted the 5KHz frequency. They didn't sound right at all. So right now they remain stock except for a headband mod. I am awaiting the result of the user with the modded and un-modded T50RPs to see if I want to do any mods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back