Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Aug 15, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #2,086 of 11,345
In the beginning I thought there must be "the right way to mod."  I learned this is false. There are really no absolute solutions. There are a few principles and methods, a few materials, maybe more not yet discovered.   Everything posted is one guy's mod and perception of that mod.  You won't know if it works for you until you try it.  I bet I've had mine apart 40+ times.  I'm very close to happy but may still experiment; to me, that's what this process is:  experimentation and I am the single subject; the only one that matters.

Quote:
Please excuse my mid day stupidity but what do you mean by before? I understand you mean to take the felt that is between your ear and the driver out. And I already have the back side (inside the cup) free of the white paper that originally covered it and replaced by a layer of felt taped over it. Do you mean replacing the exterior felt will increase bass?

Aug 15, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #2,088 of 11,345
I found just the opposite.  I cut-away the felt over the ear side of the driver.  I did not hear any difference.  I held this very thin felt up to the light.  It is the thinnest loosely woven material imaginable that reminded me cheap 1-ply toilet paper.  I don't think it does anything but for what it was designed - a dust cover and for aesthetics.  

I covered the ear side of the driver with thicker felt which muffled all frequencies. I tried 100% wool and art supply acrylic felt.  I was careful to not cover the pressure equalization vent on the ear side of the baffle.  I took off the wool and then the felt.  I am ordering replacement dust cover felt.

So, leeperry liked the increased bass results from this mod and I hated the full frequency response muffling results from this mod.  Who is right?  We both are because I used my ears and he used his; not to mention the possible myriad interactions of all the different sources X amps X cables/interconnects X mods X mods materials.  

Try it and post your results.

Quote:

yup:

Aug 15, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #2,089 of 11,345
Quote:
It seems like everyone has bass in these except me. I clearly need to look into this again because I am doing something wrong......

There is small port hole inside the ear cups that gets closed when you fill the baffle with plasticine. Try poking a paper clip through there to open it back up to see if it helps. Again, some people prefer it closed but it should increase bass and it often gets overlooked. I also prefer a couple layers of wool felt over the driver on the ear side like Lee Perry but I haven't replaced the stock membrane on the back of the driver and I still have the stock felt covering the vents so YMMV.

Aug 15, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #2,090 of 11,345
Well, I've opened the side vents and used newplast+akasa...I guess it could easily sound muffled if you kept the side vents closed and/or didn't leave enough room in the cups for air to pass through.

If I don't put this felt before the drivers, the trebles are eardrums shredding and the bass AWOL. I'm also too chicken to peel off the drivers white membrane, as I really enjoy both the bass and SS as is...I don't want anything to change whatsoever.

I got this piece of felt from a fellow ortho modder, I'm entirely willing to believe that all felts don't sound identical.

Aug 15, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #2,092 of 11,345
Thanks for the advice Lee. I didn't open the outer felt up yet, but just putting a layer of felt there seems to have increased my bass a good amount. Definitely a good jumping off point at least. I am now playing around with opening up the vents more and more.

Aug 15, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #2,093 of 11,345
New owner of the TP50. I am happy with the bass. Wish to only increase treble a bit.

I found this in Musician Friends website:
"Tips: If anyone feels that T50RP has inadequate treble, just rise the cushions by 6mm thicker (actually for pop style sound I stick the DT880 cushion on it), then you will get the same DT880's freq response, but just far lower distortion"

Also some mods regarding "reflex dot" in this thread

Any experience in increasing treble only?  Thanks.

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #2,094 of 11,345
IMO & ymmv to increase bass you have to reduce damping which allows the diaphragm move further. I did this by removing the stock damping on the back of the driver and replaced with thin wool felt only held in place with micropore tape around the edges. Resulted in large increase in bass which was tuned with micropore tape over external vents with 1 slot uncovered. I improved hf by using micropore on corner squares of the back of the driver to act as reflex dots. This gives variable damping and achieves the goal of better bass and hf. Removing felt over ear side of the driver also brings out more hf. I did not like the effect of more or different felt as it cuts detail and hf. Love this phone now, to my ears it would take something very very good to better it.

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #2,095 of 11,345
I remain convinced that the Faust mod is all thats required to turn these headphones into world champions, I have tried other variations but nothing (to my ears) brings out the low end and mids as well as this mod.
I have superglued the pads on to the housing as I am so happy with the results, I much prefer the stock pads also, covering the whole of the square on the driver with wool felt (superglued also)  and adding mass to the back of the cup brings out wonderful bass, not over the top but true, and it slams in when it should do.
No resonance issues whatsoever certainly no plasticky sound, I just get lost in the music, boy do I love these cans, the only other purchase I will be making in the headphone world will be a spare set of Fostex T50RPs.

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #2,096 of 11,345
I remain convinced that the Faust mod is all thats required to turn these headphones into world champions, I have tried other variations but nothing (to my ears) brings out the low end and mids as well as this mod.
I have superglued the pads on to the housing as I am so happy with the results, I much prefer the stock pads also, covering the whole of the square on the driver with wool felt (superglued also)  and adding mass to the back of the cup brings out wonderful bass, not over the top but true, and it slams in when it should do.
No resonance issues whatsoever certainly no plasticky sound, I just get lost in the music, boy do I love these cans, the only other purchase I will be making in the headphone world will be a spare set of Fostex T50RPs.

Got a link to the Faust mod? I don't recall It and can't find it...

Thx!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 16, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #2,098 of 11,345

Quote:

What music do you listen to?

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #2,100 of 11,345

Everything except jazz , for instance last night I began listening to Santana (moonflower), every guitar chord, cymbal and drum beat detailed, then  few vocal tracks, Alison Krausse and Union Station live.
Just to mention two tracks, the boy who would,nt hoe corn was amazing, and then the vocals on the track new favourite was an emotional experience,   the only fault with them is that badly recorded music is highlighted , in whatever format.
Absolutely every detail is heard with these headphones, nothing is ever missed and the speed and transparency is shockingly good.Large orchestral pieces and classical music shine, piano is precise and accurate, brass sections deep and each instrument easily identified, there is space and time between everything.    
Quote:
What music do you listen to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back