Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
May 1, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #1,591 of 11,345
Can't belive i had to sell my Lehman amp
frown.gif

Was just in the mood to listen to some music and plugged them in my laptop but have taken them off after 3 tracks.

I need to get a cheap replacement amp/dac combo quick

May 1, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #1,592 of 11,345
May 2, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #1,593 of 11,345

Quote:
Can't belive i had to sell my Lehman amp
frown.gif

Was just in the mood to listen to some music and plugged them in my laptop but have taken them off after 3 tracks.

I need to get a cheap replacement amp/dac combo quick

The iBasso D12 does well, and I would expect the D6 would be even more solid.  One step higher is the DACPort.  Using it right now, great combo off USB.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 2, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #1,594 of 11,345
These are sounding quite good now.  I got some stiff felt the other day and pretty much copied mrspeaker's mod but I'm using 840 pads instead of the sony's.  Right now i'm sitting in the library with my udac-2->mini3 combo and these are sounding great.  I think I'm done with sound mods, now just comfort and looks (leather headband perhaps?).  

May 2, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #1,595 of 11,345
I like the 840 pads more than the Sony's, cheaper, easy to get, comfortable, and I think they sound a bit better in the mids.  They're not leather, but in reality I am not noticing this as a negative...

Glad the mods work for you, I think the sound of the setup is great!  Love to hear from anyone else if the setup works for them, or if they've found other tunings to take it further.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 3, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #1,598 of 11,345
Looks like about the right stuff.  The materials vary in density so it's always a bit hard to say.  if the sound is off you can try layers, or put a piece on the ear-side, as well.

May 3, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #1,599 of 11,345
seriously, get natural fibers...not recycled plastic bottles
tilateur.gif

I should receive the black sanitary covers anytime soon, I'm very eager to try them...talk about the ultimate earpad/pinnae reflections damping! I really love the sound of the dust wipes I currently have on, they use the same fabric as hospitals hats...they do the job of the felt before the drivers, but far more efficiently...I'm surprised noone in Team Ortho tried it before Lunatique did. And it kills kooties too, how cool is that!

May 3, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #1,601 of 11,345
seriously, get natural fibers...not recycled plastic bottles
tilateur.gif

I should receive the black sanitary covers anytime soon, I'm very eager to try them...talk about the ultimate earpad/pinnae reflections damping! I really love the sound of the dust wipes I currently have on, they use the same fabric as hospitals hats...they do the job of the felt before the drivers, but far more efficiently...I'm surprised noone in Team Ortho tried it before Lunatique did. And it kills kooties too, how cool is that!

And the sanitary covers are natural fibers? :p

I don't think it matters, it is the effect in a given application that counts. I tried wool on both sides of the driver and in my set up it seemed dull. YMMV

May 4, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #1,602 of 11,345
Im glad you said this as i was about to order 5mm think wool felt.
I've ordered the stiff felt and will let you know how it works out. Its [size=10pt]100% polyester [/size]so dont think it matters that it was made from bottles.

May 4, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #1,603 of 11,345
you'd be better off going to a fabric shop, and telling them that you need a whole bunch of samples for that new project of yours...what kind of felt will do it best for you depends on:
-whether you took out the membrane at the back of the driver
-what earpads you use
-your HRTF/brain native FR
-your personal taste

And I always find that felt sounds better after going through several cycles of warm water + hair softening shampoo...it's softer to the ears, shrinks the fibers and lets the sound get through more effortlessly IME.

If you have a very sensitive skin, natural fibers do make sense...5mm is too thick anyway, you need more like 2mm IME.

May 4, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #1,605 of 11,345
Just received a new pair of stock 50s and seems like there might be a grounding issue - I'm getting a low freq/low volume hum that is unaffected by amp volume. Granted the issue is probably not specifically with the 50s but is elsewhere in my system however I don't get this with any other set of phones, including a set of Thunderpants.

Thoughts on troubleshooting and/or resolving?

MacBook Air > FiiO E7/E9 via USB > T50RP stock cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back