Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Apr 28, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #1,578 of 11,345

Quote:
Something I learned from my beloved Monsoon planar speakers, magnepan or ortho are very directive. It comes from the planar nature of the driver that makes the sound very directive. So the rule related to the andgle of the driver for electro magnetic headphones is even more true wiith ortho hp's.
So when angled, my t50rp's lose the veil in the hi mid and the center is back in the soundstage.

Yes, the directivity of large planar drivers in a free field environment is important.

Due to the extreme near field environment and the small size of the driver, directivity is not an issue at all with regards to the headphone environment.  Reflection and acoustic shadow caused by one's pinnae is worth taking into consideration.

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #1,579 of 11,345

Quote:

Thanks i will give it a go

Is this the baffle hole that should be blocked? I have marked a red ring around it.

That's it, I think.  You should cover it up on both sides.  On the face, it is the only hole, you can't miss it.

Apr 28, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #1,581 of 11,345
Finally finished modding mine today. I used Akasa Paxmate plus and Dynamat Extreme rolled into a ball, The vents are fully open at the minute but i will tune them when i have some new pads.

I also ripped all the felt off the face of the driver as my knife wouldn't cut it. This has made the highs a little ear piercing but i think its because the driver is pretty much touching my ears with the v1 pads.

Overall they sound great, Better than the 650's or d2000's

I'm going to get some sure pads and put some thick felt on the back of the driver and i should be done
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #1,583 of 11,345
Hi did you manage to fit these foams so nicely ? Can you provide some details on how you fit the foam on? 
I also suggest replacing the white stock diaper with thick felt. It does the same job except that the felt would not produce harsh highs at all. 

Quote:
Finally finished modding mine today. I used Akasa Paxmate plus and Dynamat Extreme rolled into a ball, The vents are fully open at the minute but i will tune them when i have some new pads.

I also ripped all the felt off the face of the driver as my knife wouldn't cut it. This has made the highs a little ear piercing but i think its because the driver is pretty much touching my ears with the v1 pads.

Overall they sound great, Better than the 650's or d2000's

I'm going to get some sure pads and put some thick felt on the back of the driver and i should be done
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #1,584 of 11,345

Quote:
Hi did you manage to fit these foams so nicely ? Can you provide some details on how you fit the foam on? 
I also suggest replacing the white stock diaper with thick felt. It does the same job except that the felt would not produce harsh highs at all. 

He used one full sheet and just layered it over the back of the cup without cutting it into strips at all. 

I tried this and did not really like the results, it was a bit over dampened for my tastes. 

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #1,585 of 11,345
Had the phones in the office, someone tried them out and said, "wow, how do these make the space sound so big....

Just thinking that now with Zero 7 on....

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 29, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #1,588 of 11,345
Thanks. I just used some A4 paper to make a template to size.

I'm not sure where to get the felt, is there a good place on ebay.co.uk to get some?

Felt is easy, just call a few fabric or craft stores... Thick wool felt and stiff craft felt seem to offer the most potential....

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 29, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #1,589 of 11,345
So there this fabric store down here that used to be painted like some hippie paradise (I only learned like a week ago that it sold fabric) so I walk in looking for some felts and couldn't find any stiff felt.  I told the lady behind the counter what I was looking for and that I was modding some headphones and she goes "well, we have a stereo department so maybe they could help you out."  I thought this was bizarre so I walk over to the stereo department and was greeted with Martin Logans and Magnepans everywhere.  It was a bit like Alice falling through the rabbit hole.  I got to talking with the sales lady and she said that they only sell Grado headphones now but they used to sell Stax. 

They actually have a website: http://www.readbrothers.com/

I didn't get a chance to demo anything because I was sort of in a hurry but I would have loved to demo some of these speakers.   

Apr 29, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #1,590 of 11,345

Quote:

Do you have a pic?
I never really thought about over dampening

Nope, dont have a pic.

The thing is, with the way you did it, it leaves less airspace in the cup. Cutting it into strips and layering it on is more precise and leaves no gaps of air between the back of the cup and the adhesive part of the paxmate. More breathing room for the drivers should have positive effects for both the bass and soundstage. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back