Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Apr 8, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #1,486 of 11,345
IMO PRaT just means you're following the music and enjoying yourself... if for instance I don't like and/or aren't familiar with Jamaican Reggae I could say it has no or low PRaT with my or any headphone. Perhaps a laid back headphone would have no PRaT and a forward sounding one would have PRaT, that isn't to say relaxing and dissolving into the music rather that tapping your foot along with the rhythm isn't enjoyable.

Apr 8, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #1,487 of 11,345

You don't know PRaT until you've tried a properly powered SR325is/MS2i. 
basshead.gif

basshead.gif

basshead.gif
My SR325is has even more soul and PRaT, almost makes me want to sell off all my other headphones every time I put them on. I know I would want a more neutral, peaceful, and analytical sound for jazz and classical, and A2000X has that and is equally as energetic.

Well, I briefly owned a MS1i(together w/ foamies & cup earpads)....it was really a no-go to my ears.

My only worthy point of reference is the holy cd3k, that has a much more colored SS, can't output any kind of low end bass, its mids are very thin sounding and the trebles very bright. PRaT is amazing, though...but this phone is colored to death.

I've got a hard time believing that a dynamic phone can kill the T50RP. It's all about technology limitations. Fostex spent several decades on their zig-zag diaphragm...and god***** is it audible 
happy_face1.gif

PS: darnn, that youtube song I just linked is hard to believe on the T50RP w/ fresh ears, instant goose bumps all over my body(in FLAC)....Sugar Minott really had it going on. Bummer that all my fav singers are dead...at least this phone allows me to listen to them in a way I would have never thought possible.
Listening to Otis Redding on this phone is also like taking a time machine back to 1967 
blink.gif

The amount of resolution on this 24bit remastered(from the master tapes) compilation is simply astounding: http://www.amazon.com/Remember-Me-Otis-Redding/dp/B000000ZLJ

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #1,488 of 11,345
Nah, it's not about killing the T50, just being more fun.

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #1,489 of 11,345

Quote:
I started over from scratch today after taking a one week vacation from modding these. I was about ready to throw them out the other day because I was so sick of modding them. Almost ZERO of the mod techniques on here worked exactly as they should for my pair. I tried nearly every one of them and took my time.

Edited for length..

tdockweiler.  I've been reading your posts about how you aren't enjoying the sound of the t50rp's.  My suggestion to you is to make changes between the cups and your ears.  I have 2 layers of felt between the drivers and my ears.  Modding between the drivers and my ears has had the most significant impact on the sound of these headphones.

I still have that razor edged speed in the treble, but it cuts the fatigue out.  Cutting out some of the harshness to the highs lets you turn up the volume, and ups the bass drastically.  

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #1,490 of 11,345

Nah, it's not about killing the T50, just being more fun.

I can't picture myself having more fun that I currently do. It's like I'm seeing through the recordings...I can hear the walls reverberations, audibly locate every singer in the recording room: any tiny bit of sound cue is getting through crystal clear.

And I like how the bass is very loud yet not overpowering the rest of the spectrum, and the mids never recessed nor too loud...simply unbelievable \o/

Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My suggestion to you is to make changes between the cups and your ears.  I have 2 layers of felt between the drivers and my ears.  Modding between the drivers and my ears has had the most significant impact on the sound of these headphones.

I still have that razor edged speed in the treble, but it cuts the fatigue out.  Cutting out some of the harshness to the highs lets you turn up the volume, and ups the bass drastically.  

Oh yes, felt before the drivers is mandatory IME...the trebles energy literally hurts my eardrums otherwise...too shrill...these drivers are too powerful, they need to be tamed down a bit. It's got the nice side effect of beefing up the bass too.

Apr 11, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #1,491 of 11,345
how would the fiio e5 work out as an amp for these things? the udac2 was not very helpful, and who knows when my audio gd nfb12s will arrive, so I am getting really desperate, would they help at all coming straight out of the comp? I really just need something to tide me over until the DAC arrives

Apr 11, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #1,492 of 11,345

Quote:
how would the fiio e5 work out as an amp for these things? the udac2 was not very helpful, and who knows when my audio gd nfb12s will arrive, so I am getting really desperate, would they help at all coming straight out of the comp?

Nah-ah.  E5 for the T50RP is a no no.

Apr 11, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #1,493 of 11,345
well they are straight out of the comp as it is, and I already dropped a months rent on a DAC that may not arrive for another month (it has already been more than a month). is there a better amp for 20$?

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #1,495 of 11,345

Quote:
well they are straight out of the comp as it is, and I already dropped a months rent on a DAC that may not arrive for another month (it has already been more than a month). is there a better amp for 20$?

Wait for the $60 E11 or save up for something better.  That's my opinion.  Just so you know I'd like something more powerful than my Arrow and it is very very powerful for its size.  If cost is an issue, something desktop size might be better use of money if you are committed to the T50RP.  Of course you will then be able to hear a bunch of other headphones too.

Apr 11, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #1,497 of 11,345
Akasa Paxmate Plus foam and SA5000 earpads.

Apr 11, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #1,498 of 11,345
do you have Pics of the SA5k earpads on the T50's? I'd like to see how well they fit...

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #1,500 of 11,345
Yup, it's denser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back