Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Feb 2, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #946 of 11,345
W00t! Returned my SRH440s to BestBuy for store credit, sold the BestBuy card online, and used the money to order the T50RPs and an e9 today from Amazon!! Been waiting months for this! 
biggrin.gif
 My initial $100 HP investment is now up to about $300 (after trading a $100 budget headphone for a $74 budget headphone 
confused_face_2.gif
).

Also, I noticed that the t50rp is back in stock at Guitar Center and has disappeared from Music123 altogether. BHPhoto and Musician's Friend are still showing them as back-ordered. One vendor told me that Fostex is undergoing a major "supplier revamp" right now which might explain some of this restocking craziness. 

Can't wait to join team ortho!

Happy hunting!!

Feb 2, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #947 of 11,345
Quote:
Also, does anyone know if they ship with a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, or if you need to buy one separately?

It doesn't come with one.

Feb 3, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #948 of 11,345

[size=medium]

[size=medium]

Quote:
W00t! Returned my SRH440s to BestBuy for store credit, sold the BestBuy card online, and used the money to order the T50RPs and an e9 today from Amazon!! Been waiting months for this! 
biggrin.gif
 My initial $100 HP investment is now up to about $300 (after trading a $100 budget headphone for a $74 budget headphone 
confused_face_2.gif
).

Also, I noticed that the t50rp is back in stock at Guitar Center and has disappeared from Music123 altogether. BHPhoto and Musician's Friend are still showing them as back-ordered. One vendor told me that Fostex is undergoing a major "supplier revamp" right now which might explain some of this restocking craziness. 

Can't wait to join team ortho!

Happy hunting!!

[size=medium]
My Fostex T50RPs should come in the mail today! I can't wait to try them!
I won't start modding them until I find a nice-matched amp, though.
Since I still don't have an amp or a DAC yet, I would appreciate it if you could give your impressions of the Fostex T50RP with and without the E9, since I am also considering buying the E7/E9 combo. Did you also get the E7?

Quote:
Also, does anyone know if they ship with a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, or if you need to buy one separately?

They do not, and if you don't have an adapter yet and are planning to buy one, I heard from someone else to get one with a bit of cable in between, as it will reduce the stress on the jack of your equipment. I bought the Sennheiser adapter because it was cheaper than the Grado. Those two appear to be the most popular adapters.
[/size]

[/size]

[/size]

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #949 of 11,345
I just made the jump to team ortho! cannot wait till the fostex's get in! now I need a dac :frowning2: the search is never over, and my wallet is hating me, minimum-wage jobs do not provide enough money for this hobby! lol

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #950 of 11,345
I would love it if anyone can answer this. I am planning to balance the T50RPs in the future. Does the stock cable have four wires in it? That would make it easy to balance. If not, how should I go about recabling it?

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #952 of 11,345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangoloid /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[size=medium]Since I still don't have an amp or a DAC yet, I would appreciate it if you could give your impressions of the Fostex T50RP with and without the E9, since I am also considering buying the E7/E9 combo. Did you also get the E7?[/size]

Yep, I got the E7 as a USB DAC to use with my SRH440s so I will be using the E7/E9 combo with the T50RPs. I know there's at least a couple head-fiers who have reported good results with the FiiO e7/e9 and t50rp. If you don't care about having a portable amp/dac, you might also look at the Zero usb dac/amp or the gd-audio Sparrow which are just a little more. I don't have experience with any other dacs or amps to compare the e7/e9 with so maybe someone else can weigh in.

Feb 3, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #954 of 11,345
Oh my goodness. This is my first listening session with my new Fostex T50RPs, and I am literally getting goosebumps! I feel so immersed in the music!
Wow!! And this is before any burn in, while being unmodded and unamped!
They really highlight Coltrane 's divine tone... and Johnny Hartman's voice sounds so real... Ella Fitzgerald sings so pure... The midrange really shines as many others have said!
I can even hear the breaths that saxophonists take. They are very good at revealing.
They are also very comfortable on my head as well.

I think it's time to bite the bullet and try and get the most out of these.
I think I'm hooked, head-fi. 
atsmile.gif

Feb 3, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #955 of 11,345
Finally got mine on order via Amazon.  Looking forward.  All stocked up with my mod-stuff.  I opted against doing some woodies, for moment, as the time/cost was too high.  Wish I could afford to do the "Smeggy treatment" right now...  
rolleyes.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 3, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #956 of 11,345
SA5K ear pads can be reversed which makes it thinner like stock pads, except these would be more comfortable due to the material and larger ear hole. Can't comment on sound in comparison though since I no longer have my stock pads. Sorry about the poor quality pic:

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #957 of 11,345
I scored some lambskin on ebay to make my own pads and headband.  Now I need some cheap-ish memory foam.  I've been snowed in and unable to procure any felt and trans/micropore tape yet.

Even with just the added dynamat in the pics I posted earlier and the felt removed from the vent they still sound great.  I think that as they are now they better my HD650s everywhere but size of soundstage and comfort.

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #960 of 11,345
This has probably already been discussed and sorry for my naivete, but are the new Fostex T50's close to the vintage pair that started it all, sound wise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back