Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Dec 4, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #721 of 11,345

Could you refresh me on the differences again?

Find out what opamps are used to drive the phones, then look up the current output in their datasheet?

Flute and Fender Rhodes also sound most amazing on this phone...It's a monitoring phone in the first place, and it's very audible: any real music instrument just sounds as true to life as can get.

The improved foam damping has really improved the isolation, love it! I'm still not totally used to this hardcore damping, though...there's no "splash" effect anymore, nothing to let the mids reverberate onto...they're as dry as can get. The good side is that the sound is very clear and uncolored, the bad one is that the sound seems muffled...even if it's not IMO. WYHIWYG....good recordings sound wide and dreamy/holographic(ph34r cd3k ^^), and bad ones sound boxy and muffled. Most dynamics rely on their cups to artificially beef up the SS, but I've grown tired of this tbh.

Dec 5, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #722 of 11,345
I have found that with fully modified Thunderclones, the soundstage is smaller when compared to other headphones that I have used.  On the other hand, despite being smaller, I hear more of the details of the soundstage.  I have noticed the largest difference when viewing TV shows or movies.  Despite sounding smaller, I hear the acoustics of where a scene was filmed.  It just sounds more natural, despite the fact that it isn't as spacious sounding.
The headphones don't shout about any one feature, it just seems like everything is pretty much there and well represented.

On the earlier question about running the headphones in a balanced configuration, I do have them terminated in a 4 pin XLR so I could run them in a balanced configuration, I just don't have any supporting gear to use such a setup.  I knew I should have bought balanced gear earlier this year instead of thinking I wouldn't reterminate anything any time soon...

Dec 5, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #723 of 11,345
So I'm sure people have recabled these things.  I'd love to see some pictures on how people dealt with the awkward placement of the current jack on the headphones.  Anyone have any ingenious solutions for covering that hole up and still have the headphones look nice?  

Dec 5, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #724 of 11,345

I have found that with fully modified Thunderclones, the soundstage is smaller when compared to other headphones that I have used.  On the other hand, despite being smaller, I hear more of the details of the soundstage.  I have noticed the largest difference when viewing TV shows or movies.  Despite sounding smaller, I hear the acoustics of where a scene was filmed.  It just sounds more natural, despite the fact that it isn't as spacious sounding.

Yes, I fully agree! Right now, I'm listening to mine w/ fresh ears and I can clearly hear the acoustics of the original rooms. The inner-cups reflections used to blur it up.

I don't think I will ever agree on putting those drivers into fully closed cups...opening the side vents provides too much of an amazing  3D SS to pass up. Semi-closed is the way to go for me, best of both worlds IMO.

I'd love to see some pictures on how people dealt with the awkward placement of the current jack on the headphones.  Anyone have any ingenious solutions for covering that hole up and still have the headphones look nice?  

I've kept the original cable, put a strain relief, blocked it into the original plastic enclosure of the crappy female minijack, sealed it w/ newplast...and put black electrician tape on the outside. It's fully insulated, doesn't move and doesn't look too ugly
tongue.gif

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #725 of 11,345
Has anyone had a chance to compare the T50RP's to the AKG 240S headphones?

Although the AKG's are not orthodynamic, both phones are semi-open studio quality, and about the same price (in the UK anyway).

I wonder which one would sound better all round?

Dec 5, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #726 of 11,345
You're talking about the k240 sextett right?  It's my understanding that those are a pretty legendary can in their own right.  The beauty of the T50rp is that you can tune them to your own tastes.  It can be time consuming and tedious to get them just right, but the end result is a thing of beauty.  

I do doubt that the k240 can match the ridiculous speed of this orthodynamic driver.  Treble on the t50rp is so detailed because of this there is really no going back to a dynamic driver for me now.  I'm sold on ortho's (maybe electrostatics too?).  

If you get the t50rp be ready to spend money on materials for modding.  Different types of felt, bluetak, and new earpads.  Earpads are the most expensive part, but they also yield the most noticeable results.  

Dec 5, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #728 of 11,345

There always mods for the Denons that have resulted in some members proclaiming them their favorite phone over legendary phones like the Sony R10 and others. I am talking about the LA2000/7000 or DIY damping.

I found the HE-6 a little underwhelming even though I had no complaints about the soundstage, but it was not my music and it was not a quiet room, so consider that an unformed opinion from me. Overall they sounded nice.

The only person who said that a pimped denon would kill the R10 was the very same person selling those mods...I've heard a d2k pimped w/ dynamat, ahem....where did the mids go?

Maybe the guy on my link simply didn't have a matching amp for the LCD-2? On this page, you can read "I had a chance to audition the Concerto and I was not impressed. It lacked punch, mid and low end body. [..] the Concerto is based on AD797 opamps."

Amen to that, AD797 really doesn't do it on headphones IME..just plain boring(majkel also agreed). And this amp uses the lower A grade, the superior B grade sounding noticeably better. It's too easy to blame the messenger
tinostar.gif

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #729 of 11,345

Quote:

there is really no going back to a dynamic driver for me now.  I'm sold on ortho's 

Agreed
agreed.gif
, and the next stop is the $450 hifiman something...that has a dual sided cable, and I hate that.

Yeah, I'm waiting for reviews of the he-4 to come out.  The headphone itself looks to be priced pretty well, but it sounds like you are going to need one hell of an amp to run them because it uses fewer magnets.  Not sure why that's the case, but that is what everyone is saying about them.  Could the he-4's be my next gaming headphone?  lol 

Honestly I was planning on buying some dt880's, but why use that money when I could have an open backed ortho?  

Dec 6, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #730 of 11,345

Honestly I was planning on buying some dt880's, but why use that money when I could have an open backed ortho?  

My pimped T50RP destroys the cd3k, I don't really see how a dt880 could keep up...this is indeed a waste of money IMO. Who would in his sane mind pay 4x the price of a T50RP for a +50yo dynamic drivers design?
krull.gif

Dec 6, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #731 of 11,345
Perhaps you remember I spoke of an echo in these headphones that was really apparent with Jmoney Beyerdynamic pads. Well I can say that after dampening the echo is pretty much gone and now these headphones sound pretty good. :) So, what can we learn from this? I think that dampening the cups is obligatory.

Dec 6, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #733 of 11,345
Dec 6, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #734 of 11,345

Come on, you've also had the one or other redundant posting here...

There was nothing agressive in my post, we've had a few PM's w/ apatN in the past. Just saying that, yeah, these phones sound terrible w/o some drastic modding...noone should even listen to them stock. Treat them as semi-DIY, and you'll be delighted
allah_4.gif

Dec 6, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #735 of 11,345

Quote:
You're talking about the k240 sextett right?

ooooh, no, the currently on sale K240, just wondering (before buying the T50RP's) if the Fostex's sound much better than the K240?

I get the impression that the T50RP's do, and considerably, but only after some modding, I am considering using Akasa PC case insulating foam inside the T50RP housing (instead of blutak, I beleive that someone else has tried this with some success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back